Tarryn Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

Re: Tarryn Thomas

The criminal justice system includes rehabilitation

Because sentences of life being the remainder of the offenders life time are rare

The upshot is, having done the time you resume in society - hence the focus on rehabilitation

And in many instances there is no time in custody so sentences of good behaviour for a designated period of time

The other side of this matter is the reputation of the Club, noting sponsors, members and supporters

If I recall correctly, the player we enticed from Essendon and who was pilloried by media never had charges laid (I recall the furor but no subsequent Court case and conviction)

So the “penalty” of having an AFL career terminated was unfortunate for the individual

No doubt the Club will take feedback from Sponsors and supporter groups along with the player group

The Club being the President and the Board

It is noted that the guy from Geelong who has been in the media found himself playing for Woodville West Torrens when Geelong gave him a second chance

So who knows?

St Dave
Club Player

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:08pm
St Dave wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 8:41pm Pretty sure we can find twenty touches and a goal a game somewhere else without the controversy
If he screws his head on right and gets another chance, he's going to be better than that.
Can you guarantee that? He would need to become Dusty to even approach being worth the reputational cost.

Not that they should, but scumbags like Wayne Carey get away with it because they are irreplaceable. If our board and recruitment team are so out of ideas that they are rolling over and begging for this 20 touch alleged abuser to save us then they should pack their bags now.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

St Dave wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:54pm
St Dave wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 8:41pm Pretty sure we can find twenty touches and a goal a game somewhere else without the controversy
If he screws his head on right and gets another chance, he's going to be better than that.
Can you guarantee that? He would need to become Dusty to even approach being worth the reputational cost.

Not that they should, but scumbags like Wayne Carey get away with it because they are irreplaceable. If our board and recruitment team are so out of ideas that they are rolling over and begging for this 20 touch alleged abuser to save us then they should pack their bags now.
Dusty? I was thinking more DeGoey.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:14pm We don’t need a POS like him down at the club.
Know him personally?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

There are some things that good people don’t do

He did them

We want good people

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:42pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:14pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 8:32pm We are desperate for pace and ...
...We are desperate to save face

😭😭 :lol: :lol:

Reeks of desperation to save careers too. Tarryn isn't the answer for 2025. They're not interested in building a culture based on connection and leaving a legacy.

Does Gubby and Ross think a team can just be slapped together for instant success?

It's too big a gamble unless Thomas has been in regular consultation with a psychologist.

There are dozens of young footballers playing Aussie rules. Why do we waste time and resources on short term gambles?

Are we prepared to give him a 3 year contract? Can he stay out of trouble for that long? I think it'll take 3-5 years before we are close to becoming contenders so build a culture...BUILD FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS AND BEYOND OR f*** OFF.
:lol: I'd trust the instincts of Lyon and Gubby (particularly Lyon) in working out whether or not Tarrant has got his head straight, over a Psychological Report. He's only 24 and is a skillful powerful mid we desperately need. We're not going to get Uniake-Davis, who else fits the bill?

Why would we give him a 3 year deal? Saving face? We'd be addressing our List needs.
How did Lyon go at Freo when he recruited guys with 'personal' issues? I'll give you a couple of examples and I'll deliberately exclude the young man who went from GWS to Freo who recently passed away.

Did Jesse Hogan perform under Lyon? Did Harley Bennell perform under Lyon?

If someone's got behavioural problems or serious mental health issues, a footballer or a senior coach isn't the one that will turn his life around
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 07 Aug 2024 10:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Dave
Club Player

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:56pm
St Dave wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:54pm

Dusty? I was thinking more DeGoey.
Nope, wouldn't take that scumbag either. Plenty of other kids out there fighting for a chance who don't happen to get charges downgraded or complainant's be suddenly unwilling to testify when court is right around the corner (speaking generally of course).

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Have DeGoey and Martin been charged with a crime?

I did not know that?!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We were burned badly by Lovett. Not sure I'd want to go through something like that again, though I understand the desperation to get talent into the club. Would be a big risk. How could you predict whether he'd re-offend?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Ross Lyon wants him, the playing group will need to suck it up and accept the decision. We all know that anyone else at the club who doesn't agree with Ross risks having to look for another job

What also really s***s me is that the club wastes time and resources on looking for ready made senior players instead of building the foundations for sustainable success at the club.

Stop trying to take short cuts to selfishly save face or save the careers of Ross Lyon or other employees

How about doing what you said you would. Remember the President's letter in April this year;
We were clear when we appointed Ross that we had a lot of work to do in terms of both our processes and our ability to seriously compete on-field, and our plans remain grounded in that reality. Put simply, we are trying to do this the right way, not the easy way.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lovett was a little worse

We contacted him for 1M over 3 years - which was a lot in 2010 - and had to pay him out - meaning it was counted in our cap until 2012 - and BJ got squeezed out! Over 50k

And we gave up pick 16

St Dave
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 10:10pm Have DeGoey and Martin been charged with a crime?

I did not know that?!
Don't know if you are trying to reply to me (I never suggested Dusty did anything off field, I only referenced his on field performance), but De Goey was charged with indecent assault in 2020, and charged with assault and forcible touching in 2021.

Big Max
Club Player

spert wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 8:01pm A leopard doesn't change it's spots..WTF is this club doing.
Yeah .. we should only be recruiting guys from the monastery ..

Big Max
Club Player

spert wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 8:01pm A leopard doesn't change it's spots..WTF is this club doing.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

aussie sainter wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:03pm I’m going to get a lot of hate here for posting this…and I will hasten to add that I’m no fan of Thomas…however we hold another ex player in the highest possible regard who was convicted of assaulting his then wife. Matter of fact they built a statue for him over in WA.
Who is the player with a statue?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
repta
Club Player

Desperation

As soon as I saw the headline that a team had met with him I knew it would be the saints.

Sad.

Until the club gets the culture, systems, management and personel right they will live in mediocrity.

Representing every woke cause meanwhile selling it.out to lost cause means you stand for nothing.

avid
Club Player

He needs to come with a redemption story that -- against expectations -- holds water.
I would be exploring that possibility.
If it won't, then they won't pursue it (I hope).
No harm in exploring.
Plenty of harm in getting it wrong.
Last edited by avid on Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:08am, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Everyone loves a redemption story

Imagine Thomas kicking the winning goal in the GF after Jy Simpkin gives a away a downfield freekick attempting to clean up Webster :twisted:
Last edited by Devilhead on Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:09am, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

aussie sainter wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:03pm I’m going to get a lot of hate here for posting this…and I will hasten to add that I’m no fan of Thomas…however we hold another ex player in the highest possible regard who was convicted of assaulting his then wife. Matter of fact they built a statue for him over in WA.
Bloody good point

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 12:08am
Bloody good point
Hang on

It's a bit different when you have a guy on your list who hasn't done anything questionable for years...and then all of a sudden stuffs up (even when it's a serious matter or criminal offence).

In most cases you support the person because they haven't displayed a pattern of behaviour. And they're part of a team and they have already given the club good service.

In this case it's totally different. We are actively seeking to recruit a player after knowing what he's done.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I was thinking he might be good for us back in March this year before the start of this season, but that was more because I thought we needed some ready made talent to get to the next level.

It was a very strange end to the home and away rounds in 2023. In hindsight, we were lucky so many teams around us failed last year.

The club should tell Lyon to stop wasting time and resources on short term sugar hits

After the year we've had, and with the knowledge that Crouch and Seb Ross are probably done and even a guy like Brad Hill is on the decline, I'm convinced we are still 3-4 years away from being a serious top 4 contender.

We need to focus on our youth. Focus on recruiting talent that will provide us with the leadership for our future.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Big Max wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 11:18pm
They are probably worse..if that's possible.

Killa
Club Player

In terms of constructing a List, name one Club which has not recruited players from other Clubs

To put that absolute reliance should be on players drafted is not tenable

Noting also that you get one chance a year to Draft a player at First Round status (in the normal course)

From there second rounds, third rounds etc etc

The corner stones of a competitive Melbourne are Lever (from Adelaide) and May (from Gold Coast)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:56pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:14pm We don’t need a POS like him down at the club.
Know him personally?
You don't need to know someone personally to figure out they're a POS.

Take you for example :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 08 Aug 2024 10:43am
CURLY wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2024 9:56pm
Know him personally?
You don't need to know someone personally to figure out they're a POS.

Take you for example :D
Yeah I prefer to hear actual facts and make judgement.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL