RTB must go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: RTB must go

It just feels like we're more likely to kick decent scores with the current setup we've been forced into, with 3 or 4 tallish mobile marking options, all playing their role (and an equal one at that) ... all things being equal.

(Every game is different, we might have to replace Clark this week, and Harris might be a big in for Brisbane).

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

This thread seems to have morphed into a discussion about the way we play and our forward line, so that's a good thing. I'm tipping the thread might continue for a while.

I think the way we're playing now isn't just because of the changes to the team. I know we've struggled with personnel (and Seb Ross has been on the decline) and we had mids missing games through injury, but all teams go through that.

I'd like to remind everyone of what was going on 8-10 weeks ago with our team, our playing style, and speculation that contracted players wanting out. We're in a fight to retain Josh Battle and we're competing to attract potential free agents.

Why would you want to stay the way things were going and the way we were playing. You can ignore the outside noise for a while and the commentary from the media, but you can't ignore it when it becomes a crescendo.

The heat from members, coiteree groups, sponsors and Saints supporters can't be ignored. Fans don't want to go to the footy to watch a team play dour footy and score 50 points per game.

I think that with or without King isn't the issue. It's more about the game style. The game plan, and the understanding that you have to be good offensively as well as being good at defending.

All the rule changes and 6/6/6 set up and recent premierships are all pointing to higher scoring. We can't go against the grain and expect to be competitive.

I think the game against Brisbane where we scored over 100 points came at a good time for us. I think the players and coaches wanted to prove to themselves they could take more risk. I know it was a loss, but it just looked like a better style of footy.

The Sydney win and then the West Coast win cemented in their minds that this was the way forward.

It all came together against Essendon. One of the most perfectly executed and efficient wins I've seen from this squad. We weren't happy to just play safe and conservative footy once we got in front. We practiced our skills as an offensive team.

It's going to be interesting how we follow that up. Brisbane have had a hard campaign the last few weeks. We need to be physical if we want the win. I'd have Liam Stocker at centre bounce against Cam Rayner
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 02 Aug 2024 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

We are playing a better because we got some more talent back into the group, through returning players from injury, some players improving, and some out of form players finding form.

Try not to over think it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Aug 2024 4:52pm We are playing a better because we got some more talent back into the group, through returning players from injury, some players improving, and some out of form players finding form.

It's not just about the chess pieces Vort

It's how you use them

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 02 Aug 2024 1:03pm
Otiman wrote: Fri 02 Aug 2024 11:55am I'd say those stats are inconclusive/not statistically significant, and I'm a huge believer in stats.

Better to look at scoring shots per I50 to get a better grasp of the situation.
This season we score every 2.44 I50 with King and every 2.33 I50 without King, so again, slightly better when he's out of the team.

I would expect to see a notable positive difference across 43 games when you're talking about a supposed $1M+ marquee player, and the fact there's not even a slight one is worrying.
That combined with the others says something. All trending the same way.

Only caveat is that our fixture early season when King was available, was absolute rubbish.

It also goes to reinforce that the team is greater than the sum of its parts.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 3:14pm For us to go forward we need to get rid of Lyon
He’s past it
Stodgy, stilted game plan
Can’t develop players - has he ever?
Sick of his mincing walk
Not up to it
Discuss.
RTB needs to spend some time in the Gym, maybe do some cream cake curls.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 02 Aug 2024 5:02pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Aug 2024 4:52pm We are playing a better because we got some more talent back into the group, through returning players from injury, some players improving, and some out of form players finding form.

It's not just about the chess pieces Vort

It's how you use them
Are you sure?

Can you think of a premiership that was won with only pawns left on the board?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I certainly can’t think of a premiership without a king

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep guys like Cooper Sharman leading from the front has been key
Good call

“Yeah….nah””
SaintWiki
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 3:14pm For us to go forward we need to get rid of Lyon
He’s past it
Sick of his mincing walk
Not up to it
Discuss.
Every week, as the kids get more experience and confidence as well as having a better run with injuries, this 'non mincing' statement looks more and more irrelevant and pa...tic

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2024 11:14am
He’s past it
Sick of his mincing walk
Not up to it
Discuss.
Every week, as the kids get more experience and confidence as well as having a better run with injuries, this 'non mincing' statement looks more and more irrelevant and pa...tic
I think teffers is taking the piss

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2024 5:25pm
I think teffers is taking the piss

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't kid yourselves- that was a putrid effort from the coach and his assistants, and the senior players tonight.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2024 8:07pm Don't kid yourselves- that was a putrid effort from the coach and his assistants, and the senior players tonight.
Must go hey spert ??
I mean we have a Ferrari midfield….the coaches just aren’t getting the best out of them ????

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Just an observation ...
The thread title appears to be in the wrong tense, I'm sure it should read ... "should have gone."

:wink: