Stats are a garbage argument

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stats are a garbage argument

Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 5:35pm Once you pick up a loose ground ball, it's a contested possession and rightly so.

You actually have possession of a 'contested' footy without competing against someone to win the ball, but getting it on your boot and disposing of it is another thing.

There's heat, there's speed on the game, and you only have a split second to make a decision on what to do with it.

Just to prove my point old Scollop shows us all exactly what’s wrong with the term contested possession

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:07pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 5:35pm Once you pick up a loose ground ball, it's a contested possession and rightly so.

You actually have possession of a 'contested' footy without competing against someone to win the ball, but getting it on your boot and disposing of it is another thing.

There's heat, there's speed on the game, and you only have a split second to make a decision on what to do with it.

Just to prove my point old Scollop shows us all exactly what’s wrong with the term contested possession
Curly knows football 😂😂😂😂😂

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:11pm

Gives me some pocket money too.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:19pm

Didn’t know they still sell records at the front gate and have pie boys with 4’n’twenty boxes walking around the ground at half time.

Curly knows football 😂😂😂👍👍👍

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:22pm

Didn’t know they still sell records at the front gate and have pie boys with 4’n’twenty boxes walking around the ground at half time.

Just one joke after another nothing football just comedy.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 4:43pm Here I was thinking

That games are generally won or lost in the contest

Brad Scott lamented his teams lack of contest as the reason why they were poor

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:24pm

I’m a supporter who knows SFA about football, the only person on this forum I have covered for football knowledge is you!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 5:36pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 5:26pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 5:24pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 4:57pm I used to love reading some of the quality in depth footy discussion on this forum. There were lots of people who provided quality and clarity

And then...there's CURLY. Self appointed Mr Football in his own mind... but he just can't communicate wtf he's on about

Are you afraid of criticising one of our players or maybe offending someone here?

Give us something CURLS. Make it specific to our fkn game yesterday or to ANY fkn player in ANY fkn game

I like this Mr Football.

Cheers
You missed a bit….Mr Football

Self appointed Mr Football in his own mind

I don’t claim to be the oracle DB like yourself. These are just observations and clearly old Scollop must be a SuperCoach player
I have personally never played super coach or any other similar fantasy football games. I know plenty of people that do. It doesn't mean they're all footy ignorant

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Curly you often post free kick counts for and against

they are stats
So if they are garbage, is that what you were posting?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You prove a lot in your own mind ... don't you?

As, I said... we're not talking about suburban footy where half the participants aren't fit.

It's one task picking it up. It's another story having enough time to dispose of it. If you're credited with an AFL stat for contested possessions, you usually earn it due to the heat that comes with being hunted when you have the ball in your hands

Not every contested possession has to be a pack mark or a scrimmage or a clearance in congestion

Killa
Club Player

What the stats do not show is the game day instruction given to players and the off ball contributions

So whilst they are interesting they are by no means the be all and the end all

For example when an opposition player is in space and looking at up field options only to be denied by the positioning of a player the positioning of that player denying an option does not accrue a statistic - but the Coaches well know

The same with positioning around the contest

And you can go on and on

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Or just rubbish comments.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Old beaker with the comedy.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:27pm

I’m a supporter who knows SFA about football, the only person on this forum I have covered for football knowledge is you!
Of course Beaker.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:36pm

As, I said... we're not talking about suburban footy where half the participants aren't fit.

It's one task picking it up. It's another story having enough time to dispose of it. If you're credited with an AFL stat for contested possessions, you usually earn it due to the heat that comes with being hunted when you have the ball in your hands

Not every contested possession has to be a pack mark or a scrimmage or a clearance in congestion
Oh please. A contested possession is when a player gains possession in a physical contest. Actually keeping your eye on the ball knowing an opponent will put physical contact on you.

Not a loose ball when you’re ten meters clear.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If stats tell the story how come umpires decide the Brownlow. Just go by stats. Like Coleman medal, its based on a number. And statisticians never err.
Having qualitative measurements would just blow fans minds. Even the Delphic MRO system has trouble rating transactions between players.
Maybe the stats are indicative not definitive.
Some stats may be proxy images of opponents performance e.g. Stringer has a stinker suggests Stocker did good. Heeney gets reported = Jimmy is a gun defender.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:57pm

Oh please. A contested possession is when a player gains possession in a physical contest. Actually keeping your eye on the ball knowing an opponent will put physical contact on you.

You're talking through your arse if you think players are earning contested possessions by being 10m clear

Be realistic.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 8:07pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 7:57pm

You're talking through your arse if you think players are earning contested possessions by being 10m clear

Be realistic.
A loose ball get under no real pressure is a contested possession. You said it yourself.
It simply cannot be and it’s ridiculous that it’s counted.

takeaway
Club Player

I can understand what Curly is getting at.
Stats are over rated, overdone and unclear, and often give a false impression.
I reckon there would be many occasions where you could pick certain stats to make a point and then cherry pick others to reverse the argument.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Bit of an own-goal this thread 😆

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 8:40pm I can understand what Curly is getting at.
Stats are over rated, overdone and unclear, and often give a false impression.
I reckon there would be many occasions where you could pick certain stats to make a point and then cherry pick others to reverse the argument.
Look at score involvements a one two handball at HB can lead to you getting credited with a score involvement

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 8:43pm Bit of an own-goal this thread 😆
This is over your head. Stick to flag waving.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 8:47pm
Maybe if you could manage a thought longer than one sentence this thread wouldn’t have turned in to everyone taking the piss out of you 😆

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 8:52pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 8:47pm
Maybe if you could manage a thought longer than one sentence this thread wouldn’t have turned in to everyone taking the piss out of you 😆
Everyone hey? Your clown mate The Buzzard DB and Fantasy Foitball follower Scollop. Equals everyone😂

Saint 58
Club Player

Stats can be part of the argument
Definitely don't tell the whole story

Commentators are obsessed with Inside 50's
Teams can be obsessed with getting the ball inside 50

Occasionally someone kicks a goal from outside 50 where it's far easier to hit up a player
I wish they would get rid of the 50m line
I think more goals would be scored, there would definitely be more shots on goal

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]