My Boy Coops

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: My Boy Coops

Has been obvious to most since his first few games that he is a player.

Some try to bring him down citing this and that, but he just knows how to play football.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 9:49am Has been obvious to most since his first few games that he is a player.

Some try to bring him down citing this and that, but he just knows how to play football.
Consistency and hunger have been an issue in past
Hope this patch is his breakout

55 games suggests he is reaching that mark

saint4life
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I've been a fan of Cooper since his first season. Back then he didn't quite have the tank or conditioning to run out a full game and since then he's been a victim of his own versatility. Much like Battle - showed promise as a forward, failed on a wing, looked decent in defence for a bit but just couldn't get any continuity. I hope he plays the entire 2025 season as a permanent forward alongside King and Hammer.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The coaches must be doing sumthin right.
They've taught him how and when to pick his moments, how to use his body, his awareness.
He's always been a lovely kick of the ball

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 10:36am I've been a fan of Cooper since his first season. Back then he didn't quite have the tank or conditioning to run out a full game and since then he's been a victim of his own versatility. Much like Battle - showed promise as a forward, failed on a wing, looked decent in defence for a bit but just couldn't get any continuity. I hope he plays the entire 2025 season as a permanent forward alongside King and Hammer.
some of us have the ability to recognize talent when we see it. :wink:

some don't :)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 10:37am The coaches must be doing sumthin right.
They've taught him how and when to pick his moments, how to use his body, his awareness.
He's always been a lovely kick of the ball
Absolutely agree some credit has to go to the club, coaches and it's development programmes, the only thing left to learn about Coops is can he be consistent, can he be bringing that 3rd quarter performance on a regular basis. If he can do that then our forward line all of a sudden has options.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

King is a power forward for sure

His contested mark numbers are elite and he brings the ball to ground in packs

Kings issue is lack of leading

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

How King fits into the structure - and I’m not suggesting he doesn’t - is a major challenge for next season.

I favour him playing well up the ground. I don’t want to see him deep and parked under long bombs all day. Get him out and moving around. Caminiti or Cooper or Owens deep. And rotate them, so things don’t get predictable.

Max is a talent, no doubt, but he’s just one player and yesterday shows how effective multiple dangerous options can be. Back that, rather than hoping that one player can do it for you.

Btw, I used to say the same about Rooey … don’t be over-reliant on him … and Rooey had a fair bit on Max at this stage. Not sure that we ever solved that one.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just because Max plays does that mean we can’t kick to other players?

Not sure I get that??

aaron82
Club Player

My feeling is there is only room for one big peacock in the forward line. Similar to Disco Roach & BT in the 80s.

We need King to be more selfless next season. This will come down to coaching & how we structure up. Caminiti is a big man who looks fantastic when he is the big rooster on his own in the forward line. He becomes lost on the field when Max is there, often competes for the same ball.

The forwards look so much more dynamic when Max isn’t there. Forward pressure is higher & we don’t see the poor body language & the weekly deflating out on the full that invariably occurs on a weekly basis.

I hope the coaching team sorts the forward line out in 2025. I’m not convinced Max is the piece that is going to make our team & forward line so much better in 2025.

and that's the bottom line
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 12:56pm Just because Max plays does that mean we can’t kick to other players?

Not sure I get that??
Up until the last couple of weeks - I am not sure the midfield trust the others (Coops, Hammer, Members etc) to bring the ball to ground - so they were spotting up Max - now maybe - some belief that the others can get it done will allow others to be targets in the forward 50

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sharman was played as a defender in the VFL to help develop his overall game. Yesterday at times, he was critical in helping to stop Essendon's momentum. His heat map shows he was in the defensive half for 28%

Max needs to take a leaf out of Coop's book.

Be more like Sharman.

I'm not talking about Cooper the Full Forward. I'm talking about Cooper's attitude, his work rate, his fitness and his willingness to fulfil multiple roles for his team.

AND.. Max needs to change his body language. Smile. Create some energy and excitement. Get out there and enjoy your footy instead of making it look like a chore
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 28 Jul 2024 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 1:46pm My feeling is there is only room for one big peacock in the forward line. Similar to Disco Roach & BT in the 80s.

We need King to be more selfless next season. This will come down to coaching & how we structure up. Caminiti is a big man who looks fantastic when he is the big rooster on his own in the forward line. He becomes lost on the field when Max is there, often competes for the same ball.

The forwards look so much more dynamic when Max isn’t there. Forward pressure is higher & we don’t see the poor body language & the weekly deflating out on the full that invariably occurs on a weekly basis.

I hope the coaching team sorts the forward line out in 2025. I’m not convinced Max is the piece that is going to make our team & forward line so much better in 2025.
Max is one dimensional, which in turn has made our F50 entry mechanism one dimensional, I'm convinced after Max being out for the past few weeks that they need to train Max to play part time ruck so he can move out of the forward line when needed to mix things up and introduce some unpredictability during a game.

aaron82
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 2:04pm
aaron82 wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 1:46pm My feeling is there is only room for one big peacock in the forward line. Similar to Disco Roach & BT in the 80s.

Max is one dimensional, which in turn has made our F50 entry mechanism one dimensional, I'm convinced after Max being out for the past few weeks that they need to train Max to play part time ruck so he can move out of the forward line when needed to mix things up and introduce some unpredictability during a game.

I somewhat agree. Funny thing is I don’t mind Caminiti as the 2nd ruck when Roma needs a break.

King cannot in my view be the deepest forward. Perhaps centre half forward pushing up to be the outlet kick from the backline. Unless he learns to chase & tackle I’m concerned how that will look. He needs a better tank & run at injury to do so.

and that's the bottom line
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 2:16pm King cannot in my view be the deepest forward. Perhaps centre half forward pushing up to be the outlet kick from the backline. Unless he learns to chase & tackle I’m concerned how that will look. He needs a better tank & run at injury to do so.
Not that this thread is about King, but he shouldn't be allowed inside 50.

Be the link player up the wing, and also there to compete for the exit kick out of our 50.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

One of the things that makes me feel optimistic about RTB V3.0 is how he has managed Coops.

100% guaranteed that a player like who not have gotten so much as a sniff in 08-11 (though obviously that was a heck of a forward line to break into).

I mean this in terms of principle of thinking rather than logistics. He wouldn’t have been able to play at all until he was ready to impact, which he needs senior experience to do.

RTB forced him to work his way into the team… he got opportunity, was dropped repeatedly until he could force his way back in and whilst up until now he hasn’t cemented a spot… Coops played when he deserved to, was dropped when he stunk it up and got back in when he developed his game in the ways that he needed to.

That’s the formula IMO and no one is suggesting that isn’t deserving his spot.

For all the fun that we’re having with Vortex here (and he too is very clearly in on the joke)… Coops consistency and aggression at the contest is what’s held him back to this point.
Medium sized forward, alongside with crumber… is a really hard position to play because at his size, he needs to be able to contribute as well when he’s not able to kick goals (as he won’t be able to every week).

Still… take a bow son. I’ve also thought of him as a favourite since debut.

On King… I actually agree with Aaron. The debate is King v Caminati not Coops. Anthony is the player that blossoms out of site when Max isn’t there.
Whatever the issue is there… and I think I commented my thoughts on the match thread, the forward line functionality with Max is a mess and the coaches have a heck of a job to do to fix it. And IMO the solution isn’t cutting Max.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 2:36pm One of the things that makes me feel optimistic about RTB V3.0 is how he has managed Coops.

RTB forced him to work his way into the team… he got opportunity, was dropped repeatedly until he could force his way back in and whilst up until now he hasn’t cemented a spot… Coops played when he deserved to, was dropped when he stunk it up and got back in when he developed his game in the ways that he needed to.
He played a very good game as a forward in an Elimination Final last year.

Sharman was made sub in a few games in 2024 and not really given time plus he was played as a defender in a few games early in the year.

He was ripping it up in June in the VFL and when he was picked in the team for Rnd 16 against Port, he was again only made sub. We lost that game by 2 points.

https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-con ... er-148880/

I've posted the link above because this was the day King got injured.

Remember...Cooper was the sub that day. He came on very late and kicked a goal. King struggled all day and was goalless.

Some of our best footy against the Swans and now against the Eagles and Essendon has been with Cooper playing in the Forward line.

You can't just credit Ross Lyon with the development of Cooper Sharman. I reckon I'd credit Batchelor more than Ross. This wasn't Lyon's master stroke

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 3:11pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 2:36pm One of the things that makes me feel optimistic about RTB V3.0 is how he has managed Coops.

Sharman was made sub in a few games in 2024 and not really given time plus he was played as a defender in a few games early in the year.

He was ripping it up in June in the VFL and when he was picked in the team for Rnd 16 against Port, he was again only made sub. We lost that game by 2 points.

Remember...Cooper was the sub that day. He came on very late and kicked a goal. King struggled all day and was goalless.

You can't just credit Ross Lyon with the development of Cooper Sharman. And I would argue that Cooper has forced Ross's hand. This wasn't Lyon's master stroke
I’m not saying that it was… goodness knows though I didn’t love Ratten’s HBF plan it pbly served a benefit too.

All I’m saying is that in previous incarnations, a player like Coops would never have even gotten a go with RTB but that he has at least had some opportunities and though he may have “forced the hand” as you say, Coops hasn’t definitely (until last night) crushed categorically either. Start of the year he was the best shot in the club… 2 months ago he was missing them from every where.

It’s been a process no doubt and I’m glad he’s gotten opportunity and that he’s starting to resemble the player we all hoped he would be

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The smart ones saw coopers value. Just as RTB has along with Pou

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How was the midfield performing when King was in the side

Forwards live and die by the opportunities their mids give them

Caminiti and Sharman looked like Lockett and Loewe in the third quarter

6 weeks ago you wouldn’t get a kick as a key forward at StK such was the s*** supply.

We are in form atm

King may have kick 6 yesterday

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2024 8:26pm The forum jester..embarrassing :lol:
Yep after putting s*** on Cooper for two years, he has now turned his hatred onto King.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 11:18am
mad saint guy wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 10:36am I've been a fan of Cooper since his first season. Back then he didn't quite have the tank or conditioning to run out a full game and since then he's been a victim of his own versatility. Much like Battle - showed promise as a forward, failed on a wing, looked decent in defence for a bit but just couldn't get any continuity. I hope he plays the entire 2025 season as a permanent forward alongside King and Hammer.
some of us have the ability to recognize talent when we see it. :wink:

some don't :)
:wink: .Just a natural footballer if I have ever seen one.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 2:04pm

Yeah, yeah, We all heard you the first fifty times you posted this rubbish

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 3:17pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 3:11pm

You can't just credit Ross Lyon with the development of Cooper Sharman. And I would argue that Cooper has forced Ross's hand. This wasn't Lyon's master stroke
I’m not saying that it was… goodness knows though I didn’t love Ratten’s HBF plan it pbly served a benefit too.

All I’m saying is that in previous incarnations, a player like Coops would never have even gotten a go with RTB but that he has at least had some opportunities and though he may have “forced the hand” as you say, Coops hasn’t definitely (until last night) crushed categorically either. Start of the year he was the best shot in the club… 2 months ago he was missing them from every where.

It’s been a process no doubt and I’m glad he’s gotten opportunity and that he’s starting to resemble the player we all hoped he would be
I agree. Don't think Cooper would have got a look in with Lyon Mark 1.

Doesn't mean he has now got it right though. Lyon, that is. Bytel got 25 possessions and was one of the best for the filth today. Always knew that was going to happen.

The little turd who went to the druggies was no loss however. Bet he wished he hadn't last night.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2024 3:25pm

Forwards live and die by the opportunities their mids give them

The other way around too, mids live and die by the options the forwards give them with their decisions making towards forward entries, when forwards don't present options, midfielders hesitate, they get indecisive, they panick, they give the opposition time to set up behind the ball, and guess what they do after all of that happens, THEY BOMB THE BALL INTO THE FORWARD LINE, just to get rid of the ball and make it someone else's problem.

Our forward entries have been predictable for years and fans have bemoaned the BOMB into the forward line just as long.

It's a two way street.

King has to learn a new trick over summer, like rucking, we need to move him out of the forward line in games when we need some unpredictability.