Brad Crouch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Brad Crouch

B.M wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 7:07pm Hill and Crouch

Easily the most overrated saints

Both good players, but not guns

Brad was a premiership player at Hawthorn (which just means he was in a good team) he was probably 12-18 on their list

Individually his best footy was played at Freo

He’s been ok at StK

Crouch played his best footy in 2017- 2019 where he won a best and Fairest
He was very good last year, but as has been the case for a lot of his career - his body has let him down.
You have really softened a bit on Crouch.

For the record good solid B grade inside mid.
Had an A grade first half of 2023 and was pushing A grade between 2017-2019.
B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 12:39am Brad Crouch is a GREAT player - excellent inside midfielder

As a FA he was a more than valuable pick up - we have up Sweet FA to secure him

And because he likes the nose beers we got him cheaper than his worth to boot!!!

Nice 👍
B.M wrote: Wed 08 Nov 2023 1:15pm Crouch

Averaged
27 disposals
13 contested
6 clearances
7 tackles

18 Brownlow votes

That’s an enormous season

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hence me saying he had a very good year last season

Had a massive pre season and was fit as fk

Had zero pre season this year and body fell to bits

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Another element I want to add to the overall big picture regarding bringing in a guy like Crouch on decent coin, was the fact that Adam Treloar nominated St Kilda at the end of 2020...and we couldn't do a deal because we'd already committed to Brad Crouch

Adam Treloar is probably going to earn himself an All Australian jacket this year. He's probably got at least 2 good years left. And there was a chance we could have had him at St Kilda if we weren't chasing Crouch around that same time.

The Crouch trade may have not ultimately cost us the opportunity...but who knows. I think Lethlean and list management had already committed themselves and they knew Crouch was not going to cost us any draft picks

If they didn't max out our salary cap on guys like Hannebery and Billings, Gresham, and others ...plus the money we had to pay to entice Dougal Howard and Zac Jones and especially Brad Hill.. maybe we could have had both

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 11:19pm Another element I want to add to the overall big picture regarding bringing in a guy like Crouch on decent coin, was the fact that Adam Treloar nominated St Kilda at the end of 2020...and we couldn't do a deal because we'd already committed to Brad Crouch

Adam Treloar is probably going to earn himself an All Australian jacket this year. He's probably got at least 2 good years left. And there was a chance we could have had him at St Kilda if we weren't chasing Crouch around that same time.

The Crouch trade may have not ultimately cost us the opportunity...but who knows. I think Lethlean and list management had already committed themselves and they knew Crouch was not going to cost us any draft picks

If they didn't max out our salary cap on guys like Hannebery and Billings, Gresham, and others ...plus the money we had to pay to entice Dougal Howard and Zac Jones and especially Brad Hill.. maybe we could have had both
First I’ve heard of Treloar nominating Saints as preferred destination.

Got anything to confirm that?

I wouldn’t link Crouch with us being unable to afford Treloar, when we had a guy on big coin who played about 17 games in 4 seasons.

But this guy delivered in other areas like training standards, helped us recruit players like Hill & Jones and was a leader and inspiration :roll:

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 11:19pm
"...and we couldn't do a deal because we'd already committed to Brad Crouch"

Rubbish. Crouch didn't cost any draft picks, and came at a discount because of his issues in Adelaide. Good list management. Nothing to do with preventing any Treloar trade.

Treloar has had a good year, as Crouch did last year. Prior to that Treloar has been OK or injured, nothing special. Will be 32 next year with hamstring issues, so how long will he last?

Could've, would've, should've doesn't get you anywhere Scolops.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Crouch or any decent FA is a good get as the cost the club zero!

Crouch has been a good pick up, and up until this season earned his pay. Unfortunately his body has let him down and not for the first time in his career.

He’s not an elite mid, but if his body was healthier he would have been A Grade

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2024 10:08am Crouch or any decent FA is a good get as the cost the club zero!

Crouch has been a good pick up, and up until this season earned his pay. Unfortunately his body has let him down and not for the first time in his career.

He’s not an elite mid, but if his body was healthier he would have been A Grade
Agreed - I would even argue that he was A grade.

Only Harry Hindsight moment I have is that was his recruitment what stopped us from making a decent play for Treloar?

Bad management is bad management
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2024 5:40am
Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 11:19pm Another element I want to add to the overall big picture regarding bringing in a guy like Crouch on decent coin, was the fact that Adam Treloar nominated St Kilda at the end of 2020...and we couldn't do a deal because we'd already committed to Brad Crouch

I wouldn’t link Crouch with us being unable to afford Treloar, when we had a guy on big coin who played about 17 games in 4 seasons.

But this guy delivered in other areas like training standards, helped us recruit players like Hill & Jones and was a leader and inspiration :roll:
Yeah...I did mention Hannas and the money going to him, but Satan specifically states they couldn't facilitate a deal because they'd committed to Crouch

"We don’t have the cap space or the assets to be getting that deal done in my view. We certainly haven’t spoken to Adam or Collingwood."

“We did say if the Crouch deal fell over we would potentially have a look at Adam as that midfielder we’re looking for, but given the Crouch deal has gone ahead I think our focus and ability on that one is pretty minimal."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/04/ ... midfielder

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2024 4:33pm

Yeah...I did mention Hannas and the money going to him, but Satan specifically states they couldn't facilitate a deal because they'd committed to Crouch

"We don’t have the cap space or the assets to be getting that deal done in my view. We certainly haven’t spoken to Adam or Collingwood."

“We did say if the Crouch deal fell over we would potentially have a look at Adam as that midfielder we’re looking for, but given the Crouch deal has gone ahead I think our focus and ability on that one is pretty minimal."

Thanks Scollop.

I’m still at a loss to see when Treloar nominated us as is preferred destination.

Do you have a link?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2024 4:38pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2024 4:33pm

Thanks Scollop.

I’m still at a loss to see when Treloar nominated us as is preferred destination.

Do you have a link?
All I remember was at that time, once Collingwood were told they had to fix their salary cap issues, they chose a few players they needed to trade out and Treloar (who was contracted) was one of them. He didn't want to leave.

St Kilda was the most logical fit for Adam at the end of 2020. We needed to bolster our midfield and Treloar saw an opportunity to be a part of a team that looked like they could take the next step. We just played finals that year ..and ironically...we beat the Bulldogs.

I say St Kilda was the logical fit, because if you were in his shoes, why would you want to go to a club with a stacked midfield? Bont, Libba, Dunkley, McCrae, L Hunter, B Smith, etc...That's a daunting career choice

The deal with the Bulldogs only happened at the last minute because firstly Collingwood were screwed and secondly we couldn't bloody facilitate a trade with Collingwood. We had nothing to offer

There was a lot of media interest and initially Treloar stayed out of the spotlight but it got quite personal at one stage. Buckley started a public campaign discrediting Treloar and so Adam was forced to hit back. He realised that relationships were fractured and he agreed to nominate a club so that negotiations could begin. He told his manager he wanted to go to Moorabbin.

Killa
Club Player

Not from my knowledge, which, at that time was pristine

Crouch was mentioned, initially as a highly regarded mid from another Club then the name but never Treloar

Lobbe was right on the radar but the change of Coach meant that did not proceed

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2024 8:07pm Not from my knowledge, which, at that time was pristine

Crouch was mentioned, initially as a highly regarded mid from another Club then the name but never Treloar
Saints had cornered themselves in those 2 trade periods 2019/2020. There was no room to move or give up anything

From the horses mouth...so to speak

St Kilda head of list management James Gallagher told Trade Radio Treloar would almost certainly not be at Moorabbin next year.

"He's a terrific player, but everyone is subject to list sizes and cap space and draft capital and all those sorts of things, so the discussion there has raced a long way ahead of any discussion we've had with Adam's management, which hasn't really progressed at all," Gallagher said.

"I think that's extremely unlikely that anything would happen there.

ALSO from Gallagher in that trade period where we committed to Crouch and Treloar was looking for a home.

St Kilda would have withdrawn its interest in Brad Crouch had Adelaide matched its bid for the restricted free agent.

"From our perspective, we were really transparent with Brad and his management and Adelaide, and as much as we like Brad and he'll be a really good player for our footy club, the strength of our interest in him was as a free agent.

"We didn't have any intention in trading for him, and that's meant as no disrespect to Brad at all, but we weren't entertaining a trade for him."

The Lobbe speculation was later on in 2022.