Brad Crouch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Brad Crouch

The numbnuts on the mid week tackle are reporting that injuries are forcing Crouch into an early retirement.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brad Crouch

Jay Clarke is being fed the information by Ross Lyon or someone else close to list management ...just my personal opinion

I know it wouldn't be too difficult for Jay to just do some digging, but I think maybe the club want to control the story...and also possibly control/force Crouch to retire… especially if they’re planning in bringing in Shiel

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sad if true. I always thought Crouch was da bomb. Has had a great career and has been a big loss IMO

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Story about Shiel is about as true as the ad about the tinnitus cure.

Total bollocks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I heard he was done 3 months ago!

Tried to return via the VFL but knee was fkd

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The 2021 recruits (including our limited draft picks after selling the farm in 2020) were Crouch, Higgins, Chip Frawley, Shaun McKernan, Tom Highmore and Matt Allison

St Kilda spent a fair bit of time ...and resources (not to mention giving up 1st and second round picks) trying to find senior players instead of investing in our own talent.

I realise Crouch came to us as a free agent, but I never thought he was the 'type' that we needed. We already had Steele, Sebby and Clark and we had a young player called Bytel who missed out on a decent opportunity to feel like he belonged.

I'm glad we hit the National Draft in 2022 with NWM, Windy and Owens. They finally worked out that the only way to achieve sustainable success is through good recruitment and good football development coaches.

Looks like we're paying Brad for 2024 and possibly 2025 and getting zero. Crouch was a good player for 3 seasons but has basically turned into another Lethlean legacy bust.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 12:46pm The 2021 recruits (including our limited draft picks after selling the farm in 2020) were Crouch, Higgins, Chip Frawley, Shaun McKernan, Tom Highmore and Matt Allison

St Kilda spent a fair bit of time ...and resources (not to mention giving up 1st and second round picks) trying to find senior players instead of investing in our own talent.

I realise Crouch came to us as a free agent, but I never thought he was the 'type' that we needed. We already had Steele, Sebby and Clark and we had a young player called Bytel who missed out on a decent opportunity to feel like he belonged.

I'm glad we hit the National Draft in 2022 with NWM, Windy and Owens. They finally worked out that the only way to achieve sustainable success is through good recruitment and good football development coaches.

Looks like we're paying Brad for 2024 and possibly 2025 and getting zero. Crouch was a good player for 3 seasons but has basically turned into another Lethlean legacy bust.
It sounds like you are suggesting Jack Bytel would have become a regular player if Brad Crouch had not been recruited Scollop. From what we have seen so far at both St Kilda and Collingwood he is no more than a depth player at best.

I was quite happy when Crouch came over and felt he was certainly an improvement on both Seb Ross and Hunter Clark, on a par with Jack Steele, so gave the midfield extra grunt.

Without the chronic knee problem he would more than likely have gone on to give great service, which was not foreseen when he was recruited, so hardly a reflection on the wisdom of the recruiters at the time.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2024 10:29pm Jay Clarke is being fed the information by Ross Lyon or someone else close to list management ...just my personal opinion

I know it wouldn't be too difficult for Jay to just do some digging, but I think maybe the club want to control the story...and also possibly control/force Crouch to retire… especially if they’re planning in bringing in Shiel
I doubt thats true.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 1:14pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2024 10:29pm Jay Clarke is being fed the information by Ross Lyon or someone else close to list management ...just my personal opinion

I doubt thats true.
Which bit? The part about wanting Crouch to retire or the part about wanting to control the narrative or the part about Shiel? Or all of it...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 2:33pm

I doubt thats true.
Which bit? The part about wanting Crouch to retire or the part about wanting to control the narrative or the part about Shiel? Or all of it...
If the club want him to retire they'ed tell him not sure why they would beat around the bush.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 3:11pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 2:33pm

I doubt thats true.
If the club want him to retire they'ed tell him not sure why they would beat around the bush.
Probably called conspiracy theories or blame it on crooked Joe Biden. It's all a witch hunt!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Crouch was a solid ball getter - tough and hard - knew how to find it.

But he wasn’t anywhere near Jack Steele
Not as high in the B&F
Never been AA (Jack twice)

Brads disposal was only just, and for a ball pig, he was not as big as the A Graders

Good soldier

But no general

Killa
Club Player

Well, Crouch led our Brownlow votes in 2023 confirming that he was one of the major contributors to the success the side enjoyed in 2023

He has been badly missed in 2024

In regards the hairy chestnut re Frawley and McKernan the simple facts were that we had no reserves and both were recruited as emergencies in case of need

The status of the List, seeing St Kilda go to mature State League players, including Wilkie, was the result of the then demographics of the List, missing mature, mid aged players

As with Frawley and McKernan these were short term fixes at very little cost and pending going to the Draft and those we Drafted being AFL ready

Remember also we have sought out the NM Ruck, Draper and the Collingwood player - and others including Henry

Injuries have hurt - including Van Es - but that is always an Industry risk

On the plus side we have Sinclair, Marshall and Wilkie all from the Rookie List and now team leaders and competition leading players

It is not all doom and gloom - it is the industry

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 3:52pm Well, Crouch led our Brownlow votes in 2023 confirming that ...
Let me finish that sentence for you if I may.

confirming that Brownlow votes have zero affect on match day. Umpires votes are not the be all and end all when it comes to influence on the result of a game.

Crouch wasn't a game changer. Crouch isn't a match winner. He did contribute to our wins...no doubt. He is a work horse and he earned his keep.

A few other posters used to argue how Dunstan was good at gathering Brownlow votes. Same story as Crouch...got plenty of it...but disposal efficiency and decision making...not elite.

Crouch was used more than any other player in the centre last year. Many times Crouch's effort and hard work was wasted. Whats the point of getting 30 touches if you give it back to your opponent 10 times?

Crouch finished equal 6th in our B&F in 2023. Nas and Mich Owens who were both just 2nd year players finished ahead of Crouch.

Plus...He was gifted games in 2022 and 2023 when he was out of form

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 12:46pm The 2021 recruits (including our limited draft picks after selling the farm in 2020) were Crouch, Higgins, Chip Frawley, Shaun McKernan, Tom Highmore and Matt Allison

Great post and oh so true.

Killa
Club Player

So now the knock on Crouch

Who on the St Kilda List is not knocked on this site

Simply, you must have watched different games of football than me

Crouch was among our most valuable and we trust he returns to that status in the interests of St Kilda improving

Also supporting the younger brigade

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 5:03pm So now the knock on Crouch

Crouch was among our most valuable and we trust he returns to that status in the interests of St Kilda improving

You've done it yourself

You weren't a fan of Seb Ross 2-3 years ago were you?

So...Yes. It's ok to criticise a St Kilda player. It's not the end of the world mate. I support the team and the club....

Funny thing is we both want our team to be better.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’m kind of with you.

In our better years in recent times, Crouch has been one the better contributors… and whilst sure, he’s not as good as Steele overall, he’s had patches of time where he has been better or more consistent.

IMO has been a loss this year.

I agree with the points that his general lower disposal efficacy and lack of speed means he’s not as damaging as others… but his role has always been more the accumulator and you need that.
And IMO, he’s been very good at that. Personally I reckon he’s been a great recruit and Is under appreciated

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Geez, Sheil is now an inside bull 🐂 🙄

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
takeaway
Club Player

Don't worry Killa. Scollop has regular bursts of posts canning Brad Crouch. Must be up to about his 50th post on the issue.
It started when Crouch came across to Saints, and took a spot in the team that was, in Scolop's view, a spot that should have belonged to one of his favs, Jack Bytel, who has gone, and is not exactly setting the world on fire at Pies. Crouch is leagues above Bytel.

Crouch is no elite midfielder, but as most knowledgeable football pundits know, is a very effective hard working inside mid, and has been sorely missed by the Saints. Scollop regularly quotes his disposal efficiency, but in reality it is at least on par with most inside mids. Hard to get a high DE in the high pressure inside mid area.

Saints badly need Crouch back, but if his knee is no good, sadly, he will retire. Not good for Saints, but one good thing is Scols might stop his biased and unfounded anti Crouch posts, which get pretty boring.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 5:31pm
Geez, Sheil is now an inside bull 🐂 🙄
An inside bull that enjoys a fair bit of bruise free footy 😂

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 5:38pm

Don't worry Killa. Scollop has regular bursts of posts canning Brad Crouch. Must be up to about his 50th post on the issue.
It started when Crouch came across to Saints, and took a spot in the team that was, in Scolop's view, a spot that should have belonged to one of his favs, Jack Bytel, who has gone, and is not exactly setting the world on fire at Pies. Crouch is leagues above Bytel.

Crouch is no elite midfielder, but as most knowledgeable football pundits know, is a very effective hard working inside mid, and has been sorely missed by the Saints. Scollop regularly quotes his disposal efficiency, but in reality it is at least on par with most inside mids. Hard to get a high DE in the high pressure inside mid area.

Saints badly need Crouch back, but if his knee is no good, sadly, he will retire. Not good for Saints, but one good thing is Scols might stop his biased and unfounded anti Crouch posts, which get pretty boring.
One of the reasons we were so good early in 2023 was the form of Crouch.

Was slimmed down and really fit, probably his best AFL season.

A shame he’s gone down as he’s played pretty good footy for the saints.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Crouch is overrated by most on here. I get that

Last year around July most people here thought he was going to cruise to victory in the Trevor Barker Medal.

Most of you had him on the podium for the Best and Fairest at years end. Most people on this forum voted him consistently as best on ground for the Eastern Memorial award

He started to falter late in the year and then put in a couple of stinkers including his game in the Elimination Final.

He ended up equal 6th with Brad Hill in the B&F. The coaches didn't rate him as highly as the esteemed crew on Saintsational

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hill and Crouch

Easily the most overrated saints

Both good players, but not guns

Brad was a premiership player at Hawthorn (which just means he was in a good team) he was probably 12-18 on their list

Individually his best footy was played at Freo

He’s been ok at StK

Crouch played his best footy in 2017- 2019 where he won a best and Fairest
He was very good last year, but as has been the case for a lot of his career - his body has let him down.