Brad Hill Contract Extension

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Brad Hill Contract Extension

StPeter wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 10:07pm We gave away 2 first round draft picks as well as Acres.

I am still to be convinced that he, or indeed almost any player, is worth that.

I do acknowledge that Brad has given good service since RTB took over.

i just hope that the contract extension for THREE years doesn't prove to be foolhardy.
What the club paid for him at the trade table isn't his responsibility.

Holding that against him is ridiculous

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 10:07pm We gave away 2 first round draft picks as well as Acres.

I am still to be convinced that he, or indeed almost any player, is worth that.

I do acknowledge that Brad has given good service since RTB took over.

i just hope that the contract extension for THREE years doesn't prove to be foolhardy.
His body is in very good condition, and he has the type of frame that ages well.

Plus with Hill there is another benefit in that he is really helping our younger indigenous players to enjoy being at St Kilda.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

In 2021 Brad wasn't living up to expectations and he wasn't working hard enough imo. That happens I suppose when you've already achieved the ultimate...3 times.

Brad copped a lot of criticism and he took it on board and he worked his bum off in 2022.

It's a common misconception that Brad became a better player since Ross Lyon became coach. His stats for 2022 are virtually identical to 2023

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 023&type=A

SaintWiki
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 7:57pm Should have been 2 years max. He's replaceable as a 33 year old in 2 years

We've seen the rapid downturn in form for Sebby and Skunk.

I would prefer 1 year ongoing contracts for guys over 30. If they're good enough they usually get rewarded with a further year
Don't forget that many more players can carry on well into their thirties in modern times, not all, and Seb and Skunk probably won't make it by the look of things.

I put last weeks loss down to Brad being absent, not only because of his run but mainly for his onfield leadership, reading the play and doing the unseen 1%ers behind play to cover players losing their opponents.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 2:18pm It’s funny how short some memories are

He was roundly criticised in his first two seasons

Now he’s heart and soul?

He’s a good outside runner

Lenny Hayes he ain’t
A bit to unpack here.
Roundly criticised? By whom?
If I recall, it was Ratten's use of him that was criticised more than it was Brad Hill. Ratten had no idea on how to use his strengths. He is a different player under Lyon. No surprise as to why as Lyon is the far superior coach.
I think he was heart and soul the minute he donned the colours. He is a role model for younger players to aspire to. More important for our indigineous players.
A good outside runner? You are selling him so short, it's almost criminal.
He is one of the best ball users we have had in a long time. Desparate, quick, and skillful...A rare mix.

If you are trying to compare him to Lenny Hayes, then you clearly have no idea. Not even remotely similar players.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 9:51am
Scollop wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 7:57pm Should have been 2 years max. He's replaceable as a 33 year old in 2 years

I would prefer 1 year ongoing contracts for guys over 30. If they're good enough they usually get rewarded with a further year
Don't forget that many more players can carry on well into their thirties in modern times, not all, and Seb and Skunk probably won't make it by the look of things.

I put last weeks loss down to Brad being absent, not only because of his run but mainly for his onfield leadership, reading the play and doing the unseen 1%ers behind play to cover players losing their opponents.
Brad Hill missing last week was why we lost a game and why we kicked 1 goal in 2 quarters of footy to finish the match.

You left out that Brad Hill would have taken multiple courageous high marks and he also would have kicked several contenders for goal of the year

You also think that Brad Hill is super human but Seb Ross isn’t

Seriously…I love the guy for who he is and how he’s conducted himself, but I still think a 2 year max. deal was appropriate

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

I’m comparing Brad Hill to Lenny Hayes - the player

Obviously 🙄

SaintWiki
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 11:19am
SaintWiki wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 9:51am

Brad Hill missing last week was why we lost a game and why we kicked 1 goal in 2 quarters of footy to finish the match.

You left out that Brad Hill would have taken multiple courageous high marks and he also would have kicked several contenders for goal of the year

You also think that Brad Hill is super human but Seb Ross isn’t

Seriously…I love the guy for who he is and how he’s conducted himself, but I still think a 2 year max. deal was appropriate
It'll only take 2 years to find out if you are right and even I may live long enough to see that. ;-)

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Brad worries the life out of oppo defenders when he breaks from halfback or closer with the ball.
He provides an option all the time coming out of defence, works like a trojan.
Brad anticipated Kneezup Moore's handpass in game 2 and kicked a goal that made Kneezup look silly.
Those reasons alone make me happy he is going to play out his career with us.
Also he is quite a reliable set shot and we don't have many of those.
Has a lovely smile and seems happy to be at Moorabbin.
Great bonus for any indigenous lad thinking of joining us to have Brad as a model and mentor.
Huge experience, we don't have many three time premiership players to relate to.
And from a selfish point of view I so enjoy watching Brad, Liam and Nasiah strut their stuff.

silverhalo
Club Player

Fantastic news!