Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dylan Shiel

Why doesn't the Club come out and say BS. He had his chance and he's had his day as a player. Stuff him.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 7:21pm Why doesn't the Club come out and say BS. He had his chance and he's had his day as a player. Stuff him.
Why would the club comment on an opposition player, when we probably are not interested in him.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He's out to impress SOS and Gubster tonight

Dress rehearsal for his St Kilda contract

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 12:26pm We can’t give up anything for him as previous poster alluded to.

His salary has to be dirt cheap, otherwise find a rookie or a kid playing VFA, SANFL or WAFL.

Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge discussed the possibility that other clubs might target Mich Owens and offer him the opportunity to play midfield. We better not lose a guy like Mich Owens, because we want to bring in Dylan Shiel to play as a mid.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1174013/ge ... 1177459001
Bollocks.

They are both talking out of their arses.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 12:53pm
bakes wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 12:45pm I suspect we are using the minimum amount of our salary cap space and we need to spend $ so that we don’t go below. On the other hand, Essendon are probably in danger of overspending. I suspect that Essendon give us Shiel and one of their picks as a thank you for dumping salary.
The bigger picture needs to be taken into consideration. If Shiel is on the list and he’s fully fit it means he takes the place of a developing player on the list. It means Ross Lyon gets a short term sugar hit at the expense of the team’s growth.

I want Clark and Windhager working together with Henry and Garcia and Mich Owens in the middle, plus opportunities need to be provided for Hastie and possibly Hotton
Experienced players help young players develop.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

No thanks! How many players from other clubs do you want to have? FFS! I'd say we are one of the teams with the most. Develop our own players as much as possible.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 12:26pm
Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge discussed the possibility that other clubs might target Mich Owens and offer him the opportunity to play midfield. We better not lose a guy like Mich Owens, because we want to bring in Dylan Shiel to play as a mid.

That is an alarming thought.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Remember when the media had us letting go Gresham for a first round compensation pick, then trading that pick to Essendon for Sheil?

So Gresh and his compensation pick for Sheil 😂😂😂

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Short term sugar hits for a spot in finals in 2025 is a short cut that will lead to another drop down the ladder in 2026.

We've been there in 2020 and 2023. We need to be patient. Provide opportunities to young players..or...

Bring in 23-26 year olds not getting opportunities at Carlton, Sydney, the Giants and Geelong.

I've liked Brandan Parfitt in previous seasons. Looks like he's out of favour at Geelong...and also ooc this year. Prefer him rather than DylShiel

What's the point of paying for talent identification staff if they're not going to do the work and identify young talent or guys that will give you 5-6 years service

It's lazy recruiting going for older blokes over 30. Unless they are outright bona fide match winners, we don't want them.

I bet you Simon Dalrymple isn't behind this move

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We got some gold with Wilkie.

We had bad luck with Jack Hayes but both players came from the SANFL.

Plenty of young talent in the SANFL, WAFL and VFL.

Do the hard yards and develop a few rookies

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

FFS no
Go after Parker…..McRae at Dogs who aren’t playing him in his best position….midfield
I’d do a Port and have a look at Garcia from Dogs who they’re sniffing after
Anyone but over blown hack Shiel who simply can’t get on the park
**** no

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Happy enough for the rumour mill to fly on this one.

It shows we have interest in midfielders and others in a similar boat can come forward.

We do need some onfield leadership in the midfield, despite being captain I don't think Steele has it. One of the reasons Seb has been getting games when others are baffled at his selection.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Tried to watch him closely Friday night. Seemed underwhelming. Parish and Hind must be peed off.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 12:26pm We can’t give up anything for him as previous poster alluded to.

His salary has to be dirt cheap, otherwise find a rookie or a kid playing VFA, SANFL or WAFL.

Every club are targeting other players from other clubs. Nothing to see.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2024 9:49pm Short term sugar hits for a spot in finals in 2025 is a short cut that will lead to another drop down the ladder in 2026.

We've been there in 2020 and 2023. We need to be patient. Provide opportunities to young players..or...

Bring in 23-26 year olds not getting opportunities at Carlton, Sydney, the Giants and Geelong.

I've liked Brandan Parfitt in previous seasons. Looks like he's out of favour at Geelong...and also ooc this year. Prefer him rather than DylShiel

What's the point of paying for talent identification staff if they're not going to do the work and identify young talent or guys that will give you 5-6 years service

It's lazy recruiting going for older blokes over 30. Unless they are outright bona fide match winners, we don't want them.

Agree 100% Scollop, also your soft spot for Brandan Parfitt, who is UFA this year. He's been at Kardinia Park for 8 years and despite the fact that Geelong are a bit up and down has only managed to get 9 games so far this year.

At 26 a change of clubs may well be what he needs to revive his career and would definitely augment St Kilda's list of quality indigenous players.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I can't see us going after any free agents this year as I think we are likely to lose Battle and we wouldn't want to water down the compensation. The only way we would go after Parfitt would be as a trade for a future second rounder or similar.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 9:37pm

Bollocks.

Yes, but that's not unusual or out of the ordinary for that pair of asswipes

St Dave
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2024 6:10pm

Bollocks.

Is it that surprising that other clubs might be in to one of our young players with potential? Especially if they think they can pry him out with more time in a position he might want to play?

Given he is best mates with windy hopefully that will provide the incentive to stick around.

I don't know how reliable their trade talk is, but I think their draft info is pretty well sourced. As with all trade speculation/rumor I imagine there is some element of truth from some party. Another club trying to turn his head or his agent trying to put the club on notice that he might want to leave if he can't play where he wants

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bollocks.

Grifters.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2024 8:28pm

Bollocks.

Grifters.
8-) :wink: :D

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

What a load of made up bollocks!!

#1 Ryder fan
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2024 9:49pm Short term sugar hits for a spot in finals in 2025 is a short cut that will lead to another drop down the ladder in 2026.

Personally I'd target a younger player like Joe Richards from the Pies. Was a mid season pick and I think they're trying to sign him up to a longer contract now. I'd offer him something stupid that he couldn't refuse. In the vicinity of $500k. He has good skills, doesn't fumble and is only 23 years old. He'll only keep getting better. If nothing else make the Pies pay overs to keep him. Pies likely to offer him somewhere in the vicinity of $300k I reckon. Give him an offer he can't refuse and plonk him in our midfield. The downside is he is on the small side but you can't have everything.

Agree that it's a complete waste of time and effort going after Shiel. We approach him and I'll have lost all faith in our recruiters

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2024 10:20am

Agree 100% Scollop, also your soft spot for Brandan Parfitt, who is UFA this year. He's been at Kardinia Park for 8 years and despite the fact that Geelong are a bit up and down has only managed to get 9 games so far this year.

At 26 a change of clubs may well be what he needs to revive his career and would definitely augment St Kilda's list of quality indigenous players.
Nup. Any player that has been in the system for that long everyone has seen enough. You know what you are going to get. You either pay overs for a star or try a kid like Dow who has been given limited chances. Even then they're a risk. Look at Ratagalea. I thought that was an inspired move by Port but now he's playing 2nds

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 5:19pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2024 10:20am

Nup. Any player that has been in the system for that long everyone has seen enough. You know what you are going to get. You either pay overs for a star or try a kid like Dow who has been given limited chances. Even then they're a risk. Look at Ratagalea. I thought that was an inspired move by Port but now he's playing 2nds
Apologies for being pedantic, but Dow is 25 in October and played 73 games for Carlton.

I’m not against us recruiting Dow for midfield depth, but he’s a D/C grade midfielder, not a kid starved of opportunity.

I’d rather not top up on fringe players unless they come for free, but it’s unlikely we’d snag another Mason Wood in a hurry.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2024 5:17pm

Personally I'd target a younger player like Joe Richards from the Pies. Was a mid season pick and I think they're trying to sign him up to a longer contract now. I'd offer him something stupid that he couldn't refuse. In the vicinity of $500k. He has good skills, doesn't fumble and is only 23 years old. He'll only keep getting better. If nothing else make the Pies pay overs to keep him. Pies likely to offer him somewhere in the vicinity of $300k I reckon. Give him an offer he can't refuse and plonk him in our midfield. The downside is he is on the small side but you can't have everything.

Agree that it's a complete waste of time and effort going after Shiel. We approach him and I'll have lost all faith in our recruiters
I don't mind Richards but would prefer we do our homework and draft someone similar from SANFL, WAFL or VFL