Luke Trainor

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Luke Trainor

The VIC Metro player gifted the winning goal in the Under 18 Championships. He is strongly linked to StKilda if we lose Battle. He is a highly rated key back in fact he has been rated higher than Curtain who Adelaide took last year at 7.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Trainor

The info was on the show Midweek Tackle on Foxfooty tonight

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 11:15pm The info was on the show Midweek Tackle on Foxfooty tonight
Correct and has been raised in other areas.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Is he a midfielder? Because last time I checked that was the area we are in need of most.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
St Dave
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 11:27pm Is he a midfielder? Because last time I checked that was the area we are in need of most.
It is interesting because we would all say right now that mid is our area of need, but depending on how the back end of the year goes and the development we see from some youngsters, we might be wanting to back in our kids.

Over the last three years we have picked up around 8 mids (depending on how you treat wings and players currently spending limited time there) with top 50 drafting picks so maybe, if we get two top ten picks, we need a top key position prospect along with the best mid available, so they are ready to go in a few years when we really want to be challenging.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully with Simon Dalrymple and Gubby we pick up a few jewels

Our recruiters need to do their homework better than other clubs. Don’t take pick 4 because ‘others’ rate him at that pick.

Melbourne surprised everyone with Clayton Oliver at pick 4. Footscray surprised everyone with Bontempelli at pick 4.

And…if there’s a kid that you think is an outstanding talent with elite attributes …and whether he’s a defender or a forward, then why not take them if they’re available.

footynut
Club Player

Trainor looks like a very talented youngster. However despite apparently picking up 8 mids in last few drafts. AFL teams need top end of talent in the midfield to challenge. And that's what we lack. So unless he's that good that you pass on him. We should pick mids with any top 10 picks we have

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Would be a typically idiotic St Kilda decision to waste an early first on a key defender when we are desperately crying out for gun midfielders.

If you want a gun defender then keep Battle!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
St Dave
Club Player

I wouldn't be rushing out for a defender personally, I think a forward to support King is almost as important and a key mid, mostly because I am hopefully but not confident that Sharman and Caminiti are going to make the grade.

But in two/three years (when I expect us to be challenging) where do you think nas, windhager, Owens, Pou, hotton, Wilson, Garcia, Hastie and our first pick this year will be playing? They can't all make it obviously, but on top of guys like Steele, Clark, Sinclair, Dow and Henry who will still be around rotating through the middle, I think we might be closer than we might expect and some extra potential ahead of the ball might be just as important.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ll say it again

You don’t draft for need with earlier draft picks especially, but draft picks in general

They are 18 - and have a 10-15 year career hopefully

They don’t agreed need for years, and who knows what our need will be in 2028-2036

You just take the best player!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Trainor is 194cm, is that the right height for a Key Defender in today's game ?

Steven May, James Sicily, Griffin Logue and Aiden Corr, to name a few, are Key Defenders and none of them are over 195cm.

Maybe a team only needs 1 Key Defender around the 200cm mark. :?:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 10:26pm Trainor is 194cm, is that the right height for a Key Defender in today's game ?
That's about Patrick Cripps' size. We desperately need a big, powerful, prolific midfielder.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are you going to get an 18yo big powerful AFL size mid.

There are many options available at our pick

St Dave
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 8:20pm I’ll say it again

You don’t draft for need with earlier draft picks especially, but draft picks in general

They are 18 - and have a 10-15 year career hopefully

They don’t agreed need for years, and who knows what our need will be in 2028-2036

You just take the best player!
This is too simplistic a view to take.

Let's say we get an end of first round pick for Battle (or even he stays) if the best player at our first pick ends up being Trainor are you really expecting us to take him? Our backline is our strongest area. Or do we take the next best player that is a mid and fills an actual need?

List management is an important part of any professional sports team and if we aren't planning ahead for what our list looks like over the next 5 years and where our needs might be maybe it explains our lack of success.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It is very simple

You just take the best player

When you get cute and try to address needs, you end up with the 2014 debacle!

Paddy McCartin was Nick Reiwoldt’s replacement- yeah right!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 2:20pm It is very simple

It’s very simple
Paddy looked to be an awesome forward which any club would want
The debacle was no blame of the club…had we picked petracca and he suffered head knocks and paddy became another Lockett you wouldn’t be posting the above

We were hit with the bad luck stick again

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 2:43pm

It’s very simple
The debacle was no blame of the club…had we picked petracca and he suffered head knocks and paddy became another Lockett you wouldn’t be posting the above

The bad luck was having Mr Elshaugh calling the shots. Or is that poor management. Anyway the ripple effect on players, clubs and coaches was enormous. Messers Elshaugh and Richardson are certainly not Einstein's but Club appointed them nonetheless and ignored clear signs they were not good for the Club but the Club stubbornly stuck by while fortunes sank. And here we are still trying to repair so much self inflicted damage. Weep, weep.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle

McCartin was not as good a junior as Petracca

Was never going to be as good a senior, regardless of injury

He was fat, slow, dropped marks, was a poor set shot

No injury - he’d have been a good ordinary player
Not fking Tony Lockett

And we took him number 1 for two reasons
1/in search of a key forward - horrible mistake
2/ he interviewed well - who cares

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 2:43pm

It’s very simple

We were hit with clear incompetence of our own making. I have no issue with Billings over Bont, as when the draft decision was made the evidence suggested that Billings was the better player.

But getting McCartin was the wrong decision.

Petracca was the clear better player.

Getting elite midfield talent was a bigger priority than getting another key forward.

You can win flags without a gun key forward, but you are going to struggle without guns in the midfield.
Trout f****** up big time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 7:12pm If my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle

McCartin was not as good a junior as Petracca

Was never going to be as good a senior, regardless of injury

He was fat, slow, dropped marks, was a poor set shot

No injury - he’d have been a good ordinary player
Not fking Tony Lockett

And we took him number 1 for two reasons
1/in search of a key forward - horrible mistake
2/ he interviewed well - who cares
The thing I love about Paddy is what he achieved at the Swans, just the most amazing display of human courage and determination. And even as fat and slow as he was, he somehow convinced those naive and stupid ignoramus dip sticks are up there in Sydney to select him to play in a GF after one season of being on their list.

Makes me sick knoing that slow fat and unskilled spud was gifted a GF birth by a clear and incompetent club and coach.

Anyone that knows anything about the game knows they would have a fit and healthy Paddy in their team over a fit and healthy Max...chalk and cheese.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 8:59am Are you going to get an 18yo big powerful AFL size mid.

There are (not) many available options at our pick
We got Owens - as a big-bodied, powerful onballer - at pick 33, but I guess that doesn’t count as apparently the club doesn’t seem to consider him a possible midfielder.

Look, I tend to agree that you go for the best player available. If he’s big-bodied, has a tank and loves a contest then even better. Maybe we can develop him into a mid, even if he doesn’t come to us as one.

They won’t grow on trees, I know, but we need a Bontempelli, a Petracca, a Hornet, a Harley Reid, a Dangerfield, a Dusty, a Cripps. That’s no secret.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cole NGA seen as key back proposal not sure you’d take Trainor
Nth keen on him apparently
Go mids
Jagga /Lalor etc

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 12:40am
B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 8:59am Are you going to get an 18yo big powerful AFL size mid.

We got Owens - as a big-bodied, powerful onballer - at pick 33, but I guess that doesn’t count as apparently the club doesn’t seem to consider him a possible midfielder.

Look, I tend to agree that you go for the best player available. If he’s big-bodied, has a tank and loves a contest then even better. Maybe we can develop him into a mid, even if he doesn’t come to us as one.

They won’t grow on trees, I know, but we need a Bontempelli, a Petracca, a Hornet, a Harley Reid, a Dangerfield, a Dusty, a Cripps. That’s no secret.
Aren't we forgetting that St Kilda already has a young big bodied midfielder on the list?

The way Mattaes Phillipou played in the midfield following a month in the seconds proved he may wll be that big bodied midfielder the team needs. From the time he was drafted he stated that he would like to play like Fyfe and Bontempelli and after what he showed in the last 2 games I think he will rise to that level.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
silverhalo
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 2:49pm

Aren't we forgetting that St Kilda already has a young big bodied midfielder on the list?

The way Mattaes Phillipou played in the midfield following a month in the seconds proved he may wll be that big bodied midfielder the team needs. From the time he was drafted he stated that he would like to play like Fyfe and Bontempelli and after what he showed in the last 2 games I think he will rise to that level.
Agreed

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2024 2:49pm

It was very encouraging, but only a small sample size. Let's hope he can get there. There are no certainties, but if he does become a star of the competition it won't hurt to have another big-bodied powerful midfielder alongside him.