Lance Collard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Lance Collard

Killa wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 10:33pm 7 pages and counting!!!!

Just as well such interactions were not penalised yonks ago

Mind you we developed our own code such as “Ankles”, so lower than a …. And Lloyd, being Lloyd Bridges from Sea Hunt

So even back all those years ago it was a nod to what was acceptable in regards direct words (even aimed at Umpires so contributing “Thank you Lloyd”)

The kid at the centre of this is just 19 years of age, living on the other side of the Continent from family and now the subject of naming and shaming across media (including AFL media)

So the Club will need to support him

There were a couple of old sayings including he who has no sins can throw stones and what happens on the field stays on the field

And we had a beer afterwards - and a laugh

These days everything is just so polarised and intense and society per se appears to reflect this

And division is sought

Next we will have barbed wire around communities and at sporting venues seeking a cohesive and respectful society by segregating
So true....this discussion led me to reflect on life back in my younger days in the 50's and 60's.

Times have certainly changed, I don't recall anyone ever using the word "faggot" to abuse another player back then, it was always "poofter" in our days. But I don't think it was actually meant to suggest that the individual was a homosexual, just slinging off...a bit like calling someone a "bastard" didn't really mean you reckoned he was actually born out of wedlock!

Maybe next time when I meet up with my mates and one says: "How are you going you old bastard?" I should take offence at this double slur!!:lol:

It's a damned sight harder today to watch your Ps and Qs and it might well get worse as time goes on.
Last edited by Sanctorum on Thu 18 Jul 2024 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
amusingname
Club Player

Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 10:29am
amusingname wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 10:09am
Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 9:50am
WellardSaint wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 6:41pm A word is just a word.

Throw that word around a sporting field and it's purely a sledge.

Why are the AFL being so stupid about a word?
Stupid as in ramping up the penalty.
Finlayson got 3, which was manifestly excessive.

In law, no court in the damned world would give a harsher penalty to a crim for the same offence purely to send a message.
Doesn't happen. If it ever did, the crim would appeal and win
The AFL stopped being a sporting field 30 years ago.
It became a work place the minute AFL players became full time footballers.
Like it or not, people need to come to accept that reality.

Certain "sledges" that attack race, religion, sexuality, gender are not acceptable in a workplace. All carry consequenses.
Agreed, the talk of criminality and all that in this thread is off the mark, the real comparison is a work place. I work in an office and a lot of my dealing are with people who either want to negotiate with me or are not happy with decisions being made. If one day I decide, I am just going to call the people on the other end of the phone or over the desk from me various slurs about sexual preference because I want to rattle them, how long do you think I will last?
Tbh I’m not sure this logic holds. If you were to throw around any insult at people (homophobic or not) in most work places you’re getting fired no?
If its a one off occurrence (which hopefully Lance's is) and you are remorseful, you may get the benefit of the doubt as it being out of character and get another chance.

If you keep doing it or come in on day 1 dropping insults, probably wont see day 2.

sks023
Club Player

Darth Vader wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 10:30am When I'm drinking at the pub with mates I swear and use racist, sexist and homophobic terminology. When I'm at work, or with kids or family friends I choose not to do this. It's not that hard to be sensible even if it doesn't come naturally. My oldest son is 19. I expect all my kids to be similarly sensible. Being 19 is no excuse.
Just want to add that doesn't make you ,racist or homophobic
I bet you're also the kind of person who would go out of his way to help someone in distress you might encounter no matter their sexual preferences or race

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 11:04am
Darth Vader wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 10:30am When I'm drinking at the pub with mates I swear and use racist, sexist and homophobic terminology.
Just want to add that doesn't make you ,racist or homophobic
We ‘re usually more honest with ourselves when we’re drunk, so I suppose people and their mates like to poke fun at others and use homophobic and racist language after a few drinks.

The problem is that you can sometimes get a bit loud after having a few and there could be people listening within earshot who are offended. You could also be talking to a person whose hidden their sexuality from you all their life and you could be offending them without knowing it

There’s a big difference between respect and acceptance versus tolerance. Young people are respectful and most of us oldies are tolerant.

Can I just add…even gays use some words that are homophobic (e.g in a joking sense). I emphasise the word some because I think there are certain words that are hurtful and carry an element of hate. That’s where the problems lie.

sks023
Club Player

Ffs we all get offended
IM done with all the the intellectual giants on this thread

sks023
Club Player

Everyone stop making Collingwood jokes

Collingwood phobic intolerant bigots

They have feelings also
I might be a simpleton, but I'm starting to think it's a blessing

Killa
Club Player

And now the reporting of the Chelsea player of international renown and the response to the actions he and his teammates engaged in

So it is not just a rookie 19 year old AFL player attempting to make his way in a sport

The other matter is that these days your opponents on the field of play can become your teammates tomorrow, witness the IPL as but one example

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 11:57am Ffs we all get offended
IM done with all the the intellectual giants on this thread
We all understand that people get offended. The issue is now we have people telling people they should be offended even if they are not.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2024 12:06pm Everyone stop making Collingwood jokes

Collingwood phobic intolerant bigots

They have feelings also
I might be a simpleton, but I'm starting to think it's a blessing
If you can't see the difference between being insulted for something you choose, and being insulted (and persecuted) for something you are, then yeah, probs best to leave this thread alone.

Also after reading this thread, for some people to now turn around and call Collingwood supports 'filth' etc will be quite ironic.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Okay… this conversation has gone off the rail with numerous posts removed and reports made that have escalated to admin.

I’m going to lock this for now.

Please don’t carry this on anywhere else