Lance Collard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lance Collard

St Dave wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 4:52pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 4:24pm If a person over 18 stands on the corner, say of Flinders and Elizabeth Streets, and addresses 6 to 10 male strangers in the way alleged what would be the penalty?
Just going to ignore most of the nonsense to get at a point that maybe hasn't been addressed yet in the thread.

Don't imagine it is a street corner, imagine it is a workplace. Because for players and umpires and others it is a workplace. Now do you think the imaginary person gets off with no penalty? Or do they get talked to by management and maybe put on leave without pay or even sacked?

The idea that other players/officials/staff wouldn't want their workplace free of vilification shouldn't be a wild one.
Fair enough, you are right, of course.
I am just wondering out loud what the framework is for matching any penalty to the crime and what the substance of the crime is - presuming a crime is proven, which seems inevitable. Noting also workplaces can differ markedly and behaving like that in most might well be a sign of mental illness.
I hear you about the post being nonsense, still getting to grips with the quality required on here. Benchmark noted and will try harder.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 1:11am I wish there were more people willing to stand up for the real victims throughout history - white straight male Christians…
We may as well attack Christians. What are they going to do about it? Forgive us? Hold a fete?

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Do they have the lucky dip at fetes?

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 11:34pm Do they have the lucky dip at fetes?
Just like a Robbie Williams concert, Scollop, there's something for everyone! All the fun of the fair!

Now, back to Lance. At this late time on a Tuesday, are we any closer to knowing what he is formally charged with and when any hearing will be held?

Pardon my ignorance if the whole thing is done and dusted. Even if the AFL dishes out a penalty, will the club take any extra action, especially in view of the fact we are one of the "pride" teams?

Lance's timing couldn't have been worse. Maybe, like Windy and the Pou, just put him into mothballs for the rest of the year.

This season is best consigned to the dustbin of history. Very disappointing and Lance has provided a typically bizarre, St.Kilda-like finish. Good grief!

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
sks023
Club Player

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 11:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 1:11am I wish there were more people willing to stand up for the real victims throughout history - white straight male Christians…
We may as well attack Christians. What are they going to do about it? Forgive us? Hold a fete?
That was a bit soft mate
Show some spine and tell us all what you really think

I forgive you

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
King Max
Club Player

Six weeks

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

6 weeks, about as expected seeing the Suns bloke got 5.

Doesn't hurt us much as he probably wasn't going to play and season is done anyway.

Hopefully its a lesson he's now learnt and he uses this experience to better himself. Sounds like he's having a tough time acclimatising to AFL life this season, frustration probably had a lot to do with the situation he finds himself in now.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 2:33pm 6 weeks, about as expected seeing the Suns bloke got 5.

Doesn't hurt us much as he probably wasn't going to play and season is done anyway.

Hopefully its a lesson he's now learnt and he uses this experience to better himself. Sounds like he's having a tough time acclimatising to AFL life this season, frustration probably had a lot to do with the situation he finds himself in now.
This mirrors my take as well though I suspect it’s more a case of not reading the memo/not really realising how seriously the AFL are taking it opposed to be frustrated.

I do think the penalty is harsh in a sense but at the same time they AFL is well and truly sending a clear message out this must be stamped out.
Personally I think I’m ok with it

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Interesting it's not being reported anywhere. AFL trying to sweep under the rug? A 6 week suspension would be big news for any other reason.
Edit: Looks like they were just slow - AFL site now has an article up. Nothing from fox footy or SEN.
Last edited by Otiman on Wed 17 Jul 2024 5:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Young Saint Collard cops monster ban for homophobic slur - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1174025

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
therabbitinthehat
Club Player

news.com.au
I think it's pretty big news...

edit: imho it's bit rich calling him a 'star' since he's played a handful of games in his first year

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I've heard people say it doesnt matter, but if words matter then what words were said, how they were said and to whom matters.

Can I say a slur and be sanctioned if it isnt relative? Can I call a white fella a black c@nt or not? Would it be racist ( of course it'd be ignorant and stupid all at once).

Is the penalty greater because this team had 6-8 gay players ( supposedly the amount who were called a name/slur).

Or did a teenager run around foolishly calling everyone a 'fag' who got on his tits or was he purposefully targeting a large amount of gay players on the field?

I wish the AFL would just tell the whole story. I dont approve of targeting vulnerable people or anyone. I do approve of accepted sledging amongst those agreeable to such frovality.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 2:46pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 2:33pm 6 weeks, about as expected seeing the Suns bloke got 5.

This mirrors my take as well though I suspect it’s more a case of not reading the memo/not really realising how seriously the AFL are taking it opposed to be frustrated.

I do think the penalty is harsh in a sense but at the same time they AFL is well and truly sending a clear message out this must be stamped out.
Yes, it is harsh but self inflicted.
Nevertheless, I would be more ok with it if the process/methodology of assessing the penalty was made clear and the value of the penalty was clear. How much money if any does it cost the lad and who is the beneficiary. What is he suspended from. Does it mean the next instance of homophobia from anyone is 7 weeks or what. Is Lance required to undertake some counselling.
Lance has been silly, Club embarrassed, but the AFL may be acting in a high handed manner by serving out what appears off the top of the head penalties, regardless of its high moral position and good intentions. I wonder who it consulted in arriving at the penalty: behavioral experts, AFLPA, Pride groups, Williamstown players, Lance's parents?

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 10:56pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 10:52pm Classification:
intentional, low impact, below the belt =1 match for each event. Concurrent penalties. Weightings
Besmerching AFL brand x 3. Dumbness x 2. Virtue signalling loading 2. Total 8 weeks. Early apology- 2. Sentence going over 2 seasons unreasonable for youth offender. Released into the care of the Club.
Hopefully The Kremlin offers him Community Service, 15 weekends working behind the bar at The Spread-Eagle Hotel 🤣😎🤷‍♂️
I just spat my coffee out reading this!!!!!

St Dave
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 5:11pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 2:46pm

Yes, it is harsh but self inflicted.
Nevertheless, I would be more ok with it if the process/methodology of assessing the penalty was made clear and the value of the penalty was clear. How much money if any does it cost the lad and who is the beneficiary. What is he suspended from. Does it mean the next instance of homophobia from anyone is 7 weeks or what. Is Lance required to undertake some counselling.
Lance has been silly, Club embarrassed, but the AFL may be acting in a high handed manner by serving out what appears off the top of the head penalties, regardless of its high moral position and good intentions. I wonder who it consulted in arriving at the penalty: behavioral experts, AFLPA, Pride groups, Williamstown players, Lance's parents?
I didn't know that you will every get all that info you are looking for, but the clubs statement was helpful context in some regard. No talk of financial sanctions, but the pride cup will work with Lance and the club on education.

Given the penalties have ramped up with each offense this year you can reasonably assume the next penalty will be 7+ if anyone is dumb enough to offend again. Given the magnitude of his offending (10 instances) he was probably lucky to only get an extra week on the last penalty, potentially being a dumb kid worked in his favor.

St Dave
Club Player

Ultimately this was probably the best he could hope for after the way the AFL have been treating this issue this year.

Very hard public lesson for the kid but hopefully he can take the time to grow and comes back ready to show everyone what he can really do next year.

I am interested what this does for his expected contract extension that was being talked about in the week leading up to this incident. The club will probably try to at least give that announcement a bit of space from this news, but if he takes it all the wrong way I wonder if the club will have second thoughts

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's hard to get away with this kind of thing in pro sport, and he will go away and talk to the coach and have a hard think about next season.

repta
Club Player

Sticks and stones will break my bones.
But
Names will give me a 6 week holiday

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 6:16pm Sticks and stones will break my bones.
But
Names will give me a 6 week holiday
Good tackles will also net you a 3 week break!

sks023
Club Player

Additionally, he should be made to march in the Sydney Madi Gra with his arse cheeks hanging out

That should help him get his moral compass back
Last edited by sks023 on Wed 17 Jul 2024 6:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joke really.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

One week less than JWeb got for injuring Simpkin.

A word is just a word.

Throw that word around a sporting field and it's purely a sledge.

Why are the AFL being so stupid about a word?
Stupid as in ramping up the penalty.
Finlayson got 3, which was manifestly excessive.

In law, no court in the damned world would give a harsher penalty to a crim for the same offence purely to send a message.
Doesn't happen. If it ever did, the crim would appeal and win

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 6:41pm One week less than JWeb got for injuring Simpkin.

A word is just a word.

In law, no court in the damned world would give a harsher penalty to a crim for the same offence purely to send a message.
💯 agree.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Probably the dumbest thing that anyone has done this year, from any club. Unless he lives under a rock how could he possibly think he was going to get away with it?

Getting suspended for a head high tackle or even a bump can be a heat of the battle thing. Playing a game of footy constantly mouthing off is a conscious decision indicating his intelligence

St Dave
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 6:43pm
WellardSaint wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2024 6:41pm One week less than JWeb got for injuring Simpkin.

A word is just a word.

💯 agree.
Ignoring the word is just a word rubbish that has been addressed a number of times in this thread, you guys understand that is basically exactly how criminal sentencing is intended to work right? The purpose of a criminal punishment is to create a disincentive to commit a crime. If the crime keeps being committed the penalties can be reviewed and increased to increase the disincentive. Look at stuff like mandatory minimum sentences to see how punishments change over time.

That is all beside the point though because in the other instances this year the abusive word was said once. Lance is alleged to have spouted it 10 times. Clearly an increase in the level of offending