Team v Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Crows

Beno88 wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2024 12:05pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 8:02pm
Beno88 wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 7:34pm First game Bonner misses, our best performance of the year.

Response : Bonner straight back in.

The mind boggles.
The coaching group and all the team have improved as a collective

The performance against Sydney was our team improvement on display and not because King or Bonner weren't playing.

I think the scapegoating of a single player is unjustified. It's wrong to blame losses on 1 or 2 individuals

He's been playing better than Brad this year in my opinion.

If you check player ratings for Hill vs Bonner their stats are quite similar

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A
You've taken a lot from a short comment. I never mentioned King.

I'm all for stats, but they can't always be trusted. To suggest Hill and Bonner are on par as footballers is laughable.

I know who Adelaide would rather be playing against.
For this week, I think Bonner is a good replacement for Brad, based on Brad's level at the moment

Hill has been amazing in a handful of games. Bonner certainly hasn't elevated himself to that level. That's for sure, but all I was highlighting was that this year, Hilly has also been ordinary in a handful of games.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2024 1:41pm
Beno88 wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2024 12:05pm
Beno88 wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 7:34pm First game Bonner misses, our best performance of the year.

The mind boggles.

The performance against Sydney was our team improvement on display and not because King or Bonner weren't playing.

I think the scapegoating of a single player is unjustified. It's wrong to blame losses on 1 or 2 individuals

You've taken a lot from a short comment. I never mentioned King.

I'm all for stats, but they can't always be trusted. To suggest Hill and Bonner are on par as footballers is laughable.

I know who Adelaide would rather be playing against.
For this week, I think Bonner is a good replacement for Brad, based on Brad's level at the moment

Hill has been amazing in a handful of games. Bonner certainly hasn't elevated himself to that level. That's for sure, but all I was highlighting was that this year, Hilly has also been ordinary in a handful of games.
Riley Bonner has ranked in the top 6 best players for St Kilda in most of the games this year, he is definitely in best 22.

It's common for supporters to focus on players we don't rate and blame them for poor disposals or turnovers, and I've noticed this on this forum especially about Bonner.

The reality is that most players at some point during a game stuff up, even Jack Sinclair, our best A grader in the past few years, kicked the ball straight to a Swans player from a kick-out, which resulted in an easy goal.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
Killa
Club Player

Sinclair kicking out after a behind missed Steele from 20 metres - Evan’s sweeping in to mark and goal

Margin 2 points

Lyon, when asked, responded it happens

And moved on

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The mind boggles.

Coaching group just magically got better ….😂 how long you been working on that you plonker?
How about we started winning contest forwards of centre which we’ve not done all year….💡

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2024 11:06pm

The mind boggles.

Coaching group just magically got better ….😂 how long you been working on that you plonker?
How about we started winning contest forwards of centre which we’ve not done all year….💡
That's your problem. Don't you think people can improve?

Maybe you never will

Maybe we won contests forward of centre because the game plan slightly changed. Maybe we risked losing by a lot, in order to try and at least create more scoring opportunities than in previous weeks.

It's not always simply on the players

Do you think the players were coached exactly the same as the had been in other games? Did Windhager tag one of their mids all day? Did our mids play uber defensive or did we take them on? We actually matched them in clearances because we hunted the footy.

.. even for a whiley ol' fox like Rosscoe...if you don't grow and learn some things on the job ( how you manage different players and youngsters) you're gunna be left behind.

Ross Lyon doesn't have all the answers...if he did, he'd be a premiership coach. ...but even they need assistants around them... don't they?

It's a coaching group and it's a whole of team and whole of club effort. But you carry on with your messiah worship...no one can take that away from you

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2024 12:52am
Teflon wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2024 11:06pm

The mind boggles.

That's your problem. Don't you think people can improve?

Maybe you never will

Maybe we won contests forward of centre because the game plan slightly changed. Maybe we risked losing by a lot, in order to try and at least create more scoring opportunities than in previous weeks.

It's not always simply on the players

Do you think the players were coached exactly the same as the had been in other games? Did Windhager tag one of their mids all day? Did our mids play uber defensive or did we take them on? We actually matched them in clearances because we hunted the footy.

.. even for a whiley ol' fox like Rosscoe...if you don't grow and learn some things on the job ( how you manage different players and youngsters) you're gunna be left behind.

Ross Lyon doesn't have all the answers...if he did, he'd be a premiership coach. ...but even they need assistants around them... don't they?

It's a coaching group and it's a whole of team and whole of club effort. But you carry on with your messiah worship...no one can take that away from you
Scoll old son, your pathelogical dislike of Ross has turned your posts, eg above, into incoherent drivel. For everyone's sake, we know your position, give it a rest.
Willing Ross to fail is not going speed anything up and you should leave yourself wiggle room in the off chance he improves us.
Just pm Teflon.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

'my position'....?!

Saying someone doesn't have all the answers offends you does it? It implies that I hate Ross does it?

Yorkeys. It's late. You need to go to sleep.

Y'know what fkn irritates me? How do you know it isn't BJ or Boris having an impact to improve us?

I want St Kilda to succeed and Ross to succeed. It's not good for his blood pressure if he fails

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2024 12:52am

Ross Lyon doesn't have all the answers...if he did...

He'd be a magician

But alas he's mortal.

One thing we can feel fortunate for with Ross in charge atm, and that is his experience and connections in the AFL and media, he's keeping the media in their place during this transition phase whereas a lesser person could get swallowed up by the machine that loves to feast on a St Kilda carcass.

My hope is that the club put in a succession plan to promote Ross up to the board level and remain in charge of football whilst handing over the reins to Enright and Harvey.

The problem with sacking coaches is the time and resources it takes to bed in a new regime and get the necessary feedback on potential success.

If you consider we have had 4 coach changes since 2011, and then consider it takes about 2 years to reform the club to his plan, then we have effectively spent 8 years out of the past 15 years directing valuable resources into setting up new coaches....stupid huh.

This coach needs time to get the talent in the door, it's going to be a slow burn but I'm confident if we have stability and a utilisation of our very much precious and limited resources directed mostly into talent acquisition then we might be a chance to fluke a flag before we all drop off the perch.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to seeing Arie in action tonight. What an exciting prospect he is. Kicks like a mule. Was the crowd yelling “woof” whenever he launched one last week, ala Val Perovic?

I feel he is going to be an exceptional long-term player for us. Let’s hope Tasmania Devils keep their dirty mitts off.

King Max
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2024 12:46pm Looking forward to seeing Arie in action tonight. What an exciting prospect he is. Kicks like a mule. Was the crowd yelling “woof” whenever he launched one last week, ala Val Perovic?

I feel he is going to be an exceptional long-term player for us. Let’s hope Tasmania Devils keep their dirty mitts off.
Shooooo

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Going to be wet in Adelaide?
(That's rain not crows supporters).

Fancy scheduling on Adelaide Oval in the middle of SA winter at night. Schedulers seem to have no real life experiences, just spreadsheets and a quota.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

“Scapegoat” going well.

Bet Adelaide wish Brad Hill was out there instead.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bonner wasn't the ONLY player to put in a poor game, but I think last night seals his fate.

Lyon said in the after match presser that Bonner was subbed out for team balance. He said we had too many wingers - Wood, Wilson, Henry, Jones.

We definitely missed Windy and I think that's where Lyon and match committee were forced to play Zac Jones.

Bonner was hopeless. Shoey, Wilson, Henry and even Wood were soft at times (Woods handballs to green grass reminded me of Billings). Sinclair was also down on his best.

I think it was a gamble going in with too many outside players for a night game in Adelaide. It would have been dewy and slippery even if it didn't rain. The fact that the forecast said rain, means we should have had ball hunters and not guys who usually are receivers.

Garcia, possibly Hastie ...and definitely a guy like Seb Ross would have been handy.