Coaches votes Round 17 vs Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coaches votes Round 17 vs Swans

How many times did Clark and Pou take on Heeney in the first half? Especially Clark

If its around the same number of stoppages as Steele took Heeney, your initial claim that "Steele had Heeney" is false and misleading

Simples :mrgreen:

You listened to Dermott who gave you a bum steer. You also saw on Fox Footy at 3/4 time a massive picture of Heeney in one sude of the tv screen and Steele on the other

That graphic did it for you right? That cemented in your mind that they matched up on each other
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:22pm, edited 3 times in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I thought Steele played mostly on Heeney

Heeney went forward at stages, had Webster and Wilkie

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:19pm I thought Steele played mostly on Heeney

It was split between Clark, Pou, Sinclair and Steele

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:16pm How many times did Clark and Pou take on take Heeney in the first half? Especially Clark

If its around the same number of stoppages as Steele took Heeney, your initial claim that "Steele had Heeney" is false and misleading

Simples :mrgreen:

You listened to Dermott who gave you a bum steer. You also saw on Fox Footy at 3/4 time a massive picture of Heeney in one sude of the tv screen and Steele on the other

That graphic dud it for you right? That cemented in your mind that they matched up on each other
Untrue as I just watched the first half Clark didn’t take him once from what I saw. It was Steele v Heeney the other times in the middle (twice) he took Sinclair.

You do know Steele is Number 9 and Clarke is 11 yeah.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:19pm I thought Steele played mostly on Heeney

It was majority Steele v Heeney at clearances.

Webster up forward although Battle got caught on him twice at least and the Wilkie rolled onto him.

Killa
Club Player

Waiting all year for the Coaches to do something, or words to that effect

Well, in reality, Steele has struggled versus his peak performances of a couple of years back, we have missed Crouch, we have missed Clark until the last month, we have required Sinclair to defence (Schoenmaker’s selection and Webster’s return releasing him to the midfield), we have missed Henry for a significant slab of the season to date and we have awaited Phillipou’s education and emergence

So it has been a waiting game

And now, in Round what, it is coming together and we get a look at what we could be

The return of Howard, another whose season has been decimated by injury, has not only spread our defence but has allowed Marshall to push forward more often, not dropping back because of the lack of height in defence

So we become proactive

This is not the fault of the Coach or line coaches - it is the availability of resources

Added to this is the (once again) absence of King, that Caminiti was showing a bit in defence and Crouch is still absent (as is his brother for Adelaide)

And now Windhager out

Trusting that this weekend is a poor one for Adelaide at both AFL and SANFL levels!!!

To me last weekend it was our improved resources being measured against Sydney and as a collective going head to head

And St Kilda won - narrowly but a win is a win

The challenge now is to again take the game on and to get another result

Adelaide’s strength is their attack - plus they also have a couple of mids who are handy

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Steele not going so bad imo

Should win his third TB Medal this season

St Dave
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 8:34pm
St Dave wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 7:37pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 6:53pm
St Dave wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 5:34pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 2:50pm
St Dave wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 1:25pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:47am
St Dave wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:35am
CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:54am
perfectionist wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:47am Mattaes Phillipou was on both Warner and Heeney at varying times in the first three quarters and he let them slip away. But he was not playing a hard tag role and was in an outside role rather than an in and under role (played by Jack Steele). In the last quarter, he was matched to Rowbottom, who played wide of him. It meant they were both free on the outside. The ball came to Mattaes Phillipou and he used it to perfection with his foot. By and large, Sydney played as if their players would always beat our players. That doesn't take into account misses for goal, including four posters - as we have found out many times in the past. Looking at the replay, I though Jack Sinclair was one of our best mainly because of his use of the ball when he got it, which he did 28 times with 16 kicks.
Untrue Steele had Heeney.
Heeney attended two centre bounces in the last quarter. One he was matched up on Clark and one (the final one after we went in front) Pou took him.

Pou had Rowbottom then Warner then Heeney at bounces in the last
Of course there are times when players cross over or hand over but the match up was Steele to Heeney.
You speak with so much authority shutting people down, but where is the data to back it up?

The matchup can't be purely Steele to Heeney if he doesn't line up against him at the key centre bounces. When the game was in doubt in the last Steele was lined up on Warner twice as well as Adams, Rowbottom and Gulden.

When Heeney went forward Steele didn't go with him and when he was in the middle it was Clark and Pou.

Just because some commentator said it at some point during the match doesn't make it true. Trust your eyes not someone paid to fill silence. Happy for you to prove me wrong by watching back and reporting how many times they lined up against each other at stoppage.
You realise players go on and off the ground at various times and of course the match up is different when Heeney goes forward.
In a reply to a post commending Pous performance on two gun mids you said 4 words 'Untrue Steele had Heeney'.

I have to commend that now, on being asked to back up that statement with evidence, you seem to have softened on that absolute stance, but are you now saying you can't do that because Heeney and Steele were never on the ground at the same time? Or maybe that when Heeney and Steele were on the ground at the same time Heeney was playing forward?

Just acknowledge that Pou (and the rest of the midfield) did a great job head to head with a top midfield. I have been wanting to see the coaches do something exciting with the midfield all year and they finally do, backing in the whole rotation to go head to head, so it is reductive (and wrong as pointed out) to attribute it all to one player.

The mid field did a fantastic job no one is suggesting other wise. What I’m saying is the midfield match up was Heeney v Steele. No it wasn’t 100% game time but our coaching group wanted that match up as often as possible.
You keep saying the midfield match up was Heeney v Steele but you aren't providing any evidence to back up that claim.

Are you secretly a coach? That the coaches wanted that matchup as often as possible is another new assertion without evidence, and given that Steele didn't go to Heeney at any centre bounce in the last quarter (at least), that also sounds made up

Of the first 5 centre bounces Heeney and Steel engage each other 4 times .

Steele also was with Heeney at the one defensive ball up for StKilda.

That’s the first quarter.
Thanks for coming back with facts Curly, now we can start to have a discussion about what really happened rather than vibes. Don't act like you are the first one to give evidence though, I gave you the whole last quarter in my first response.

Your first quarter is spot on, 5 center bounces, they both attended all of them and it was SvH in 4 of them.

For the second quarter though you might have meant to say SvH only happened two times, because for the second quarter there were 8 CBs, they both attended all of them, but they only went head to head twice. Sincs took Heeney 4 times and Clark and Pou once each.

In the third Heeney started going forward, so he only attended 3 of 9 CBs, but Clark took him once and Pou twice. Steele went to all CBs

In the fourth Heeney only came to 2 of 5 CBs for Clark and Pou to take him. Steele went to all CBs

Overall Heeney came to 18 of the 27 CBs, but Steele only took him 6 times so not really a set match up. The last time they went head to head in the center was after the McInerney goal 20 mins in to the second, and Henry went to 8 more CBs after that. Interestingly, that was the start of the swans putting on 5 goals to end the quarter, so maybe Steele should have stayed on him, but clearly the coaches wanted a change and backed the change in because they never matched up again.

Sincs had Heeney 5 times to half time but the coaches clearly didn't like that after the run of goals so Pou and Clark took him after that and we started getting on top as a result.
Totals for Heeney: 6 Steele, 5 Sincs, 4 Pou, 3 Clark
For Steele: Rowbottom 9, Heeney 6, Warner 6, Gulden 3, Papley 2, Adams 1.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Where the hell did those stats come from?!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Don’t tell me you watched an entire replay and took notes in order to win an argument on a fan forum, seriously?

St Dave
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:29am Don’t tell me you watched an entire replay and took notes in order to win an argument on a fan forum, seriously?
I only watched the last quarter again at lunch but you don't have to twist my arm to get me to re-watch our best win in at least 12 months. I will probably watch it again in a few weeks when we revert back to boring football.

The secret b.m is kayo has all the goals marked so you can go back and watch them. Or skip forward a min and see the resulting bounce.

I don't care about winning an argument (as an aside, you saying I won might be the first positive thing you have said to me), I want to discuss issues, I am happy to change my opinion if people being solid evidence, that's why I wanted Curly to bring some actual facts to the discussion. Personally I find it interesting that Steele was moved off Heeney and then the swans get a run on, but the coaches didn't move Steele back on to him. They instead back in Pou and he repays their faith. Maybe you don't find that interesting though, each to their own.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:57am
B.M wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:29am Don’t tell me you watched an entire replay and took notes in order to win an argument on a fan forum, seriously?
I only watched the last quarter again at lunch but you don't have to twist my arm to get me to re-watch our best win in at least 12 months. I will probably watch it again in a few weeks when we revert back to boring football.

The secret b.m is kayo has all the goals marked so you can go back and watch them. Or skip forward a min and see the resulting bounce.

I don't care about winning an argument (as an aside, you saying I won might be the first positive thing you have said to me), I want to discuss issues, I am happy to change my opinion if people being solid evidence, that's why I wanted Curly to bring some actual facts to the discussion. Personally I find it interesting that Steele was moved off Heeney and then the swans get a run on, but the coaches didn't move Steele back on to him. They instead back in Pou and he repays their faith. Maybe you don't find that interesting though, each to their own.
Again Steele wasn’t moved off Heeney why are you posting that.

Steele didn’t go with Heeney forward as he’s not a defender.

St Dave
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 6:45am

Haha Curly, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but if you don't know how to read a detailed reply and then reply to that, on a forum you have been using for almost 20 years, that's just sad.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 9:50am

Haha Curly, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but if you don't know how to read a detailed reply and then reply to that, on a forum you have been using for almost 20 years, that's just sad.
I just stated the actual facts of the first half. Steele v Heeney at clearances was about 85% and the time Sinclair had him the secondary bounce Steele had him.

That alone is more than enough to suggest the mid match up by StKilda was Steele to take Heeney as I posted miles back.

St Dave
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 9:58am

I just stated the actual facts of the first half. Steele v Heeney at clearances was about 85% and the time Sinclair had him the secondary bounce Steele had him.

That alone is more than enough to suggest the mid match up by StKilda was Steele to take Heeney as I posted miles back.
Sorry mate this is still the wrong thread. Try going back a bit more in your notifications and read where I spelled out the full game. Or scroll up not even that far. Then after you read and reply to that post we can keep it going. Benefit of the doubt again but ignoring posts (especially direct replies) is troll behavior

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:47am Mattaes Phillipou was on both Warner and Heeney at varying times in the first three quarters and he let them slip away. But he was not playing a hard tag role and was in an outside role rather than an in and under role (played by Jack Steele). In the last quarter, he was matched to Rowbottom, who played wide of him. It meant they were both free on the outside. The ball came to Mattaes Phillipou and he used it to perfection with his foot. By and large, Sydney played as if their players would always beat our players. That doesn't take into account misses for goal, including four posters - as we have found out many times in the past. Looking at the replay, I though Jack Sinclair was one of our best mainly because of his use of the ball when he got it, which he did 28 times with 16 kicks.
The post I replied to at the beginning in which apparently I was wrong but the numbers prove otherwise.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's truly sad that some people on fan forums are so stubborn they refuse to back down no matter how compelling the arguments before them.

You have to literally place evidence in their face to show them they are wrong....AND THEY STILL WANT TO ARGUE THAT THEIR ORIGINAL THINKING WAS JUSTIFIED

Is that what you call a narcissist?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 10:26am
The post I replied to at the beginning in which apparently I was wrong but the numbers prove otherwise.
What these numbers? :oops: :oops:
Overall Heeney came to 18 of the 27 CBs, but Steele only took him 6 times

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:01pm
Which is untrue. He took him in all bar 1 in the first and all but two in the second. When Heeney didn't have Steele he went to Sinclair. One of the two times Heeney had Sinclair in the second there was a secondary bounce and Steele and Heeny went to each other.

The first quarter alone it was 5 center ball ups alone Steele v Heeney including the first of the match the second quarter started with Heeney on Steele.

But carry on.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t Collingwood a good win?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:12pm Wasn’t Collingwood a good win?
Have you watched the replay of our Collingwood game recently?

Would you watch the replay of this last game vs Sydney at some point down the track

St Dave
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:08pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:01pm
Which is untrue. He took him in all bar 1 in the first and all but two in the second. When Heeney didn't have Steele he went to Sinclair. One of the two times Heeney had Sinclair in the second there was a secondary bounce and Steele and Heeny went to each other.

The first quarter alone it was 5 center ball ups alone Steele v Heeney including the first of the match the second quarter started with Heeney on Steele.

But carry on.
Ah, I think you must be confusing Steele and Sinclair.

The first quarter did have 5 CBs but Sincs took Heeney on the second one (Steele was on Rowbottom).

The second quarter had 8 CBs and Steele took Heeney twice (the first and fifth CBs), Sincs took him for the third, sixth, seventh and eighth.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Just ringing Dermott and the Fox Footy team to scrap all there intel.