What I have learned

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SteeleSaints
Club Player

Re: What I have learned

Thats an interesting way to reinforce we won a game and played well Fireman.

We played finals last year and have won 6 out of 17 games this year. I think people are allowed a little lattitude to express their concerns.

By the way I agree re Byrnes, kids that try as hard as he does rarely fail.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SteeleSaints wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 2:41am Thats an interesting way to reinforce we won a game and played well Fireman.

We played finals last year and have won 6 out of 17 games this year. I think people are allowed a little lattitude to express their concerns.

By the way I agree re Byrnes, kids that try as hard as he does rarely fail.
My intention was to highlight those that have allowed themselves a little too much lattitude in bagging a side who have lost games with such small margins against good sides and players with potential who try their guts out

BM for example is one those I speak of, who says I am beating my chest over 1 game, I have been beating my chest all year as I marvel at the likes of WNM , Sincs, Marshall, Battle, Wilkie, Higgins, windhager and the evolution of Pou, Owens, Byrnes,Cam etc. So much to like and so much negativity from some.
The future to me looks positive.
Interesting ? nah just my take on things.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 12:04am Firey

We are 6-10 and 14th

And you’re beating your chest

As Ross would say
Never as good as it seems and never as bad

What on earth would I be feeling guilty about? StK winning?

We actually stole that game
They had 13 more i50s
8 more scoring shots

Great resilience to come back, great efficiency, great win
But
Don’t be fooled - unless you’re a fool

Interesting take that we stole the game and do you claim we had games stolen when the stats are in our favor? Inside 50's for what its worth are one of the more useless stats you can rattle off.
Last edited by CURLY on Mon 08 Jul 2024 10:16am, edited 1 time in total.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

The negativity comes from sitting 14th in the ladder in r18 with 6 wins.

If you believe near enough is good enough, and close losses are ok, that’s your prerogative. I am very disappointed with this season. I believe I am justified in thinking this way.

nefron55
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 10:07am The negativity comes from sitting 14th in the ladder in r18 with 6 wins.

If you believe near enough is good enough, and close losses are ok, that’s your prerogative. I am very disappointed with this season. I believe I am justified in thinking this way.
This is massively oversimplifying an optimists view to the point of being a straw man argument. Nobody thinks this is “good enough” or that “close losses are ok.” It’s that close losses against good teams might be indicative of future performance. No, we’re not winning the flag this year. Nobody thinks that’s “ok”. But some people choose to analyze deeper than wins and losses to try to ascertain how we might perform in the future. Close losses against very good teams, coupled with wins against good teams (Sydney and Collingwood) and some positive signs on youth development (Pou’s game vs Sydney for example) might be indicative of good future performance.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

nefron55 wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 5:44am
B.M wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 10:07am The negativity comes from sitting 14th in the ladder in r18 with 6 wins.

This is massively oversimplifying an optimists view to the point of being a straw man argument. Nobody thinks this is “good enough” or that “close losses are ok.” It’s that close losses against good teams might be indicative of future performance. No, we’re not winning the flag this year. Nobody thinks that’s “ok”. But some people choose to analyze deeper than wins and losses to try to ascertain how we might perform in the future. Close losses against very good teams, coupled with wins against good teams (Sydney and Collingwood) and some positive signs on youth development (Pou’s game vs Sydney for example) might be indicative of good future performance.
Trying to reason with BM is a chore, he will manage to turn your post around into something negative, its what he does.
I have conveyed the same reasoning to him already....brick wall.
and starting to realize a waste of time.

GSG
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2024 9:44pm
spert wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2024 9:41pm Jeez one win and it has all turned around. Glad the boys won, but we're 14th on the ladder for a reasonI(s)
Haven't you had a chance to watch the game yet?
By the way the doomsday narrative you boost was always crap.
But keep hoping we lose. Pretender.
I find it amazing to insinuate that, just because some of us are not so charmed and convinced about Ross, Spert, myself or others want the Saints to lose just to prove a point. This is utter nonsense. The last game was fantastic and full marks to the coaching staff and players, and I was absolutely thrilled. However, as the saying goes, One Swallow Does Not Make a Summer, and we are still only on 14th position. We are also allowed to have an opinion without being insulted.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

…not learned but know that it sucks to be out of the finals race with 7 games to go.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just stating the facts…

You cannot argue - “nobody thinks close loses are good enough”

And then in the next space say close losses are positive

Bizarre

nefron55
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 1:49pm Just stating the facts…

You cannot argue - “nobody thinks close loses are good enough”

And then in the next space say close losses are positive

Bizarre
That’s so disingenuous — “good enough” and “positive” are two totally different concepts. “Good enough” for me is winning the flag. “Positive” for me is seeing signs that we might improve from where we are.

But it’s just 2 different mindsets. We’re in 14th — that’s a disappointing fact, you’re right. Given the history of our club, that’s often the case. I choose to find the glimmers of hope like this weekend because it’s how I derive joy from barracking for us. It’s totally fine to have a different approach.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'm a great coach with one of the best defensive game plans in the AFL

Naturally I took that game plan and defensive strategy into 2024, and I know it's a grind, but it worked for last year. I got us in the finals didn't I?!

Look, I understand that it hasn't worked this year and we've come close quite a few times. It's obvious that oher teams have figured out ways to combat us, so all in all...if you take into consideration the fact that my players have voted for a more attacking mindset...I've had to yield

The boys told me they'd rather celebrate goals than tackles and smothers y'know. Anyway...you don't get paid a free these days for a good tackle do ya?

It's funny...I told Batts and RoMa, I'm happy for them to kick goals if it means we keep them also happy ...so they're gunna stay at St Kilda now.

😜😉😎

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 1:13pm
spert wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2024 9:41pm Jeez one win and it has all turned around. Glad the boys won, but we're 14th on the ladder for a reasonI(s)
I find it amazing to insinuate that, just because some of us are not so charmed and convinced about Ross, Spert, myself or others want the Saints to lose just to prove a point. This is utter nonsense. The last game was fantastic and full marks to the coaching staff and players, and I was absolutely thrilled. However, as the saying goes, One Swallow Does Not Make a Summer, and we are still only on 14th position. We are also allowed to have an opinion without being insulted.
Of course all opinions are equal.
Each support in their own way.
Apologies for the unintended insult.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

What i have learnt is that Barry Hall, post his football career, is not a boxer's bootlace.

I've now seen highlights from his last 2 fights against NRL dudes and both times Hall has been knocked out.

Tonight's KO was just over a minute into the first round, Bustling Barry needs to find a new hobby, for his own
safety's sake. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There are no doubt similar threads floating around from our 2017 win over Richmond. Maybe even after our 2014 spanking of Freo.

Byrnes had also turned the corner at the beginning of last year before regressing. He was also looking good at the beginning of this year but was unable to keep up his form. We've got a 57 game sample size from him and about 10-15 have been good. I'd love for this to be the turning point for him but history suggests that it's unlikely.

I have more faith in this being a turning point for Pou, since he had never before had a chance to work on his midfield craft at a lower level and build confidence.

GSG
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:03pm
GSG wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 1:13pm
Of course all opinions are equal.
Each support in their own way.
Apologies for the unintended insult.
All good - thanks.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2024 7:11pm The main thing I have learned is that we have a lot of wankers on this forum

Firstly always thought Byrnes was a player after watching today’s game. I could only think of all those on here who have been bagging him.
Secondly, all those that have been bagging the coach for his game plan. You can stick that up your arse right now.
Thirdly those on here who have been saying that the players don’t want to be there aren’t playing for each other blah blah blah all I could see was a close group tonight that enjoyed every goal got together and played like a complete unit so to all these wankers go and get stuffed go and follow another side

Believe me, I am lapping this up and enjoying it so so much but just had to point out that there’s some wankers on here that wallow in negativity and self pity well you can all get stuffed

Go Saints and go RTB

Fanboy
I am more positive than most on this forum but can’t agree with these points :

Point 1: Byrnes played one good game and overall has show he isn’t anything more than a fringe AFL player. In any case he’s gone in the next year or two so not really a point to debate.
Point 2: say what you like about the gameplay, honestly we don’t know what it is so we cannot judge without being internal within the club. What we can see though is 6 wins and 10 losses which isn’t acceptable.

Point 3: honestly haven’t seen many making this point on this forum. We have seen the team at times look confused with the game plan and repeatedly bomb the ball forward. Besides the bulldogs game and the first half of the Richmond and west coast eagles games we haven’t seen a big drop off in effort, that is to say the team is buying in and it’s not an effort issue.