General tensions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

General tensions

Hi everyone,

It’s been a funny week on the boards. Following what was arguably our best win in s year or two, I was expecting a relatively settled week on the board and have been a little taken aback by the tension and degree of hostility I’m seeing.

My first inclination was to let it go a little as there has been ongoing frustrations for weeks now regarding the balance of positivity vs negativity (e.g. we’re on the right track or not, these players aren’t up to it etc, low scoring, boring football, injuries etc). Add to that as well that there has been contentious commentary expressed about the coaching, Max King and the umpiring (and umpiring commentary in the game day thread)… all of which have been polarising issues for a while.

A couple of things have really caught my eye however.

Number 1 is the sheer increase in the volume of swearing on the forum in the last few days. Not blanked out/modified words but outright curses directed specifically at forumites over and over again.
Now this has been an issue that has seemingly always bothered me more than perhaps it has others. I’m very aware of that and have been inclined to let it go to a degree, especially if it’s in response to an antagonising or hostile comment but noting the escalation and something of an increased vulgarity… I think it needs to be looked at.

The second thing is that there also appears to be quite a spike in the amount of, let’s call it abuse, directed specifically at forumites. You’re a this, you’re a that. A real amount of playing the man that from what I can see, is a lot less about the topic being discussed or even the responses but is more driven by the existing dynamics/feuds people have with each other.

Now I’m not 100% sure about the best way to respond to these challenges… editing and deleting posts is unpopular. I’ve discovered this week how to move posts to the Animal Enclosure (which was way more convoluted than I figured) and whilst I can do that… any and all authoritative interventions are generally going to make some people unhappy.
(Open to suggestions).

So in the first instance, again I’d really like to implore to speak to others the way you would in real life and really focus/centre responses to the topic and not make it about the forumites.

There is a diverse range of forumites here that have all manners of areas that they are particularly interested in… some zero in on the coaching, others on players or the media, or the umpiring, or trades etc. Robust discussion invites robust discussion whereas abuse and hostility just draws more of the same and leads to reports and derailed threads.

By all means, start threads and put ideas out there: good, bad or ugly. That’s what makes this place tick. Please be mindful of the language and try not to show hostility to each other. If you see something that doesn’t seem right, please continue to use the report function… have been on less lately as have been sick but I will typically get to things.

Thanks, Skeptic

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: General tensions

Skeptic,

Thanks again for your contribution in keeping this place running

Appreciate the moderation and the time you put into keeping this place civil too.

I respect your post. I'll tone down my hostility

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 1:59am Skeptic,

Thanks again for your contribution in keeping this place running

Appreciate the moderation and the time you put into keeping this place civil too.

I respect your post. I'll tone down my hostility
Thanks Skeptic. I’ve taken a break from here due to the almost non-sense of bashing our coach, bashing of young stars like Max King/ Phillipou + others, and just each other.

You can’t even share an opinion without being divided as a lover of RTB or not. To make it easy on everyone I’m Switzerland. I don’t care if it’s RTB or Hardwick or Yze if we are getting 1% better week on week than that’s the coach I back.

People on here need to be reminded that we lost 6 games by less than 10 points. Of those 6 games we lost by less than a goal kick in 4 of them. If those results go the other way we as a club are in the top 8 pushing for top 4 and probably momentum and team connection going our way.

We also blooded our entire draft haul of 2023 which not many other clubs have done. Our 2021 draft with NWM, Owens and Windhager has been A+. Our 2022 draft with Phillipou, Van Es, Keeler and Hotton is probably a B- at this point and our 2023 draft has been a solid A with Wilson, Garcia, Collard, Schoenmaker and Hastie. We have to wait patiently until they hit the 50-100 games mark and watch them come online.

We are writing a dual narrative and you got to take the punches.

Having said that we also haven’t been as kind with father son selections, we have had 3 father son selections since out inception into the V/AFL. For reference, the Eagles have had 6 since they joined, Port 5 and Adelaide 3, and Collingwood currently have 3 in their best 23 right now.

We have been screwed over with the draft rules for NGA since our haul with Owens and Windy and you can see RTB arguing about it in the media.

Club is heading in the right direction. Facilities are amazing, debt coming down, we are fighting for more games at the G, we are getting some draft and player management talent in, we have got a good president and training standards are lifting.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

So everyone stop attacking everybody. We all go for the same club. Get around the boys. Strength through loyalty.

Also if I see another Max King hate post I’ll get my fiancé to put out a legit Macedonian gypsy curse on you. The kid is staying at the club and will be come one of the best forwards and win us a Coleman. You watch!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Good summary of why we're where we are.

However I believe Skeptic was asking for civility in discussion not stymying of all dissenting views.
Elements of your post eemind me of the gay marriage debate where even the mildest questioning of any point was considered a hate crime!
Why can't we question Lyon's performance or King's trade value in a civilized way?
There is more than one way to support your club, we do not live in Soviet Union or China!

Sanctorum
Club Player

It's good that you have picked the scab off this festering ulcer Sceptic, I hope that all of those who have engaged in abusive behaviour and bad language towards supporters with whom tney disagree will heed your advice and keep their comments in check.

Robust debate about the virtues, or lack thereof, of a coach or player is a normal aspect of being a passionate supporter, we all have different opinions, but that should always be discussed in an unprovocative way and avoid becoming antagonistic.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 1:02pm It's good that you have picked the scab off this festering ulcer Sceptic, I hope that all of those who have engaged in abusive behaviour and bad language towards supporters with whom tney disagree will heed your advice and keep their comments in check.

Robust debate about the virtues, or lack thereof, of a coach or player is a normal aspect of being a passionate supporter, we all have different opinions, but that should always be discussed in an unprovocative way and avoid becoming antagonistic.
Hear hear Sanctorum

Can you pm Teflon directly. It seems the warnings and bans he's received haven't sunk in :mrgreen:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Can't stress enough how it makes me feel when The Dud and DB Cooper call me Crying Curly.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 7:16am Good summary of why we're where we are.

However I believe Skeptic was asking for civility in discussion not stymying of all dissenting views.
Elements of your post eemind me of the gay marriage debate where even the mildest questioning of any point was considered a hate crime!
Why can't we question Lyon's performance or King's trade value in a civilized way?
There is more than one way to support your club, we do not live in Soviet Union or China!
Couldn’t agree more.

I acknowledge that I’ve stepped out of line (sometimes considerably) on this forum and this season is no exception.

But this isn’t a military state. Questioning or even being critical about the administration, the coach or even the output of the playing group certainly doesn’t mean you don’t love the club. It’s because we love the club that we are so passionate.

Again, I acknowledge that I’ve been out of line with my posts abs signature in the past, but I fail to see you can’t have a civil discussion about the pros and cons of a relocation without posters suggesting that the OP needs to be banned.

Bad management is bad management
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 2:31pm Can't stress enough how it makes me feel when The Dud and DB Cooper call me Crying Curly.
So..how does it make you feel ?

Killa
Club Player

Society, hey?

When I was a kid growing up, the reference was to "whinging Poms".

Have a look at US now!!!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Stop posting crap and I’ll stop having to correct you.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 7:14pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 2:31pm Can't stress enough how it makes me feel when The Dud and DB Cooper call me Crying Curly.
To upset to talk about it

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I take great offense to the inference I have a ‘GIMP’ lover.

This is inaccurate and demeaning, particularly as anyone who knows me will confirm I am unequivocally the ‘GIMP’ in any relationship.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 7:09am I take great offense to the inference I have a ‘GIMP’ lover.

This is inaccurate and demeaning, particularly as anyone who knows me will confirm I am unequivocally the ‘GIMP’ in any relationship.
Does that make me Zed?

:D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
sks023
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:40am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 7:09am I take great offense to the inference I have a ‘GIMP’ lover.

Does that make me Zed?

:D
'Zeds dead baby' Zeds dead'

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 10:16pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 7:14pm
To upset to talk about it
:lol: :lol:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 7:09am

cough , cough

:P

gaz is very amused

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
loris
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:20pm

cough , cough

gaz is very amused
Gaz maybe amused, however Loris is confused 🫤- what is a GIMP in a relationship ? I don’t know whether to be amused 🤭 or shocked 😳

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:37pm

cough , cough

gaz is very amused
Gaz maybe amused, however Loris is confused 🫤- what is a GIMP in a relationship ? I don’t know whether to be amused 🤭 or shocked 😳
Have you seen “pulp fiction “ loris?

loris
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 9:40pm

cough , cough

gaz is very amused
Have you seen “pulp fiction “ loris?
No, not my type of film, or, as followers of of American blockbusters would say - ‘movie’ 😉

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

cough , cough

gaz is very amused
I can't elaborate, as I will earn a Higgins-esque ban for
'posting content that breaches the 'open and non-adult' rating of this site.
It's also a bit unsavoury 🤯

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
loris
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:21pm

cough , cough

gaz is very amused
OK thanks Wellard, I’ll reserve the right to be shocked 😳 about ‘who knows what’ 🤔

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:27pm

cough , cough

gaz is very amused
OK thanks Wellard, I’ll reserve the right to be shocked 😳 about ‘who knows what’ 🤔
Google this

the "gimp" in a relationship

You'll get your answer

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 8:28pm Society, hey?

When I was a kid growing up, the reference was to "whinging Poms".

Have a look at US now!!!!!
Now they are just referred to as "Pommie Bastards". :wink: :wink:

Rubyjo
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:15pm
loris wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:27pm

cough , cough

gaz is very amused
Google this

the "gimp" in a relationship

You'll get your answer
Watch Pulp Fiction Loris ..there is a gimp in there.