Caldwell and Durham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Caldwell and Durham

Surely we make plays for both of them. Out of contract. Not free agents so have to trade but being out of contract they would be cheaper than otherwise.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Caldwell and Durham

Big Clubs don't lose good players to small clubs

Even if we gave them 2 top ten draft picks this year ( assuming Battle goes and that we get massive compo for him) plus next year's 1st rounder...they still wouldn't do it
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 05 Jul 2024 11:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 11:56pm Big Clubs don't lose good players to small clubs
Yes. Best to give up and complain.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

All I'm saying is that they don't

You're allowed to try. You're allowed to keep dreaming

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think the club now knows that good free agents, or tradeable players, do not want to go to historical loser clubs like shitekilda.

Makes it hard for Simon to be the Messiah. :lol: :lol:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Simon doesn't run things.

The new/recycled messiah is now running our footy department

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Scollop is right. Posters on fan forums spend an enormous amount of time fantasizing about recruiting younger established A-grade players from other clubs, but it hardly ever happens. The main exceptions to that rule were Gehrig and Hamill, who came because for some reason they wanted to play under Blight. Brad Hill was a more recent exception.

It's far from me that many players are enthused at the prospect of playing under RTB. Fairly or unfairly, he has gained the reputation throughout the football world of pushing his players very hard while stifling their individual flair.

It's becoming increasingly clear that Ross is extremely keen to make some big trades at the end of the year. And it would seem that he and the club are happy to give up some existing talent such as Battle and perhaps others in order to achieve those trades. Perhaps he'll land a couple of star players: we'll see about that.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Hill
Ryder
Butler
Steele
Membrey
Crouch
Wood
Higgins
Howard
Henry (!!!!!!)
Jones

This narrative of no one will come to St kilda is getting tired. Yes you don't get them all- 17 other clubs are having a crack too.

As is the one about Ross. Plenty of star players rave about him.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

No A grader will come to St Kilda unless we are willing to over pay drastically. That list proves it, the only player on that list that you could say was an A grader when he came was Hill and we paid exorbitantly for him. When we have chased top line talent we almost always lose out to more desirable destinations.
Our only opportunity to add A grade talent is to either unearth talent that has struggled for opportunity at another club, Steele and Membry fit this bill, or through the draft.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 10:59am
Our only opportunity to add A grade talent is to either unearth talent that has struggled for opportunity at another club, Steele and Membry fit this bill, or through the draft.
Both these strategies should remain central to our permanent culture at the club and only look at FAs when we have proven we are capable of sustained top 4 finishes, and we should not pay overs to keep players like Josh. I'm essentially suggesting we should adopt the Geelong business model.

Hopefully we keep tanking and get the best possible pick in this years draft which I suspect Lyon is doing.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Don't ever deal with the Bombers (as in asking them for a player)

We gave them Gresh and Hind but I don't know if they gave us rubbish.
But they'll never let Caldwell go to us

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 11:12am
Both these strategies should remain central to our permanent culture at the club and only look at FAs when we have proven we are capable of sustained top 4 finishes, and we should not pay overs to keep players like Josh. I'm essentially suggesting we should adopt the Geelong business model.

Hopefully we keep tanking and get the best possible pick in this years draft which I suspect Lyon is doing.
I'm still not convinced the Bombers are the real deal.

However. If they took this approach they would not have McKay, Gresham, Shiel, Caldwell and others.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 12:31pm

However. If they took this approach they would not have McKay, Gresham, Shiel, Caldwell and others.
3rd on the ladder, they have given themselves an opportunity to prove they are a top 4 side for this season, and this season only. The object of the plan is to become a sustainable top 4 side so only time after this season will prove where their list is at in that regard.

But here is the massive advantage they have over us with regards to talent acquisition, they are a rich, powerful and well connected organisation which makes them a significant destination club and provide players to constantly play at the MCG in block busters.

So whilst you may not be convinced they are the real deal, who is currently in the stronger position with regards to talent acquisition, them or us?

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 12:47pm

3rd on the ladder, they have given themselves an opportunity to prove they are a top 4 side for this season, and this season only. The object of the plan is to become a sustainable top 4 side so only time after this season will prove where their list is at in that regard.

But here is the massive advantage they have over us with regards to talent acquisition, they are a rich, powerful and well connected organisation which makes them a significant destination club and provide players to constantly play at the MCG in block busters.

So whilst you may not be convinced they are the real deal, who is currently in the stronger position with regards to talent acquisition, them or us?

My point was they recruited Caldwell outside the rules you outline.

I.e. they were no where near sustainable top 4.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 12:50pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 12:47pm

My point was they recruited Caldwell outside the rules you outline.

I.e. they were no where near sustainable top 4.
wasn't he then more aligned with your suggestion, i.e. he was a fringe player surplus to needs at another club not getting a game and didn't require overs to recruit?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Go to the draft!!!

They would require 3 first round picks!!!

We need to draft in
3 First Rounders and 3 Second rounders
In the next two seasons

wally
Club Player

We tried to get Caldwell but he chose Bombers as if he will want to come over now.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 11:56pm Big Clubs don't lose good players to small clubs

Even if we gave them 2 top ten draft picks this year ( assuming Battle goes and that we get massive compo for him) plus next year's 1st rounder...they still wouldn't do it
So how did get we get Hamill from Carlton?

It’s not about us being a small club, it’s about whether a player sees any prospect of joining us.

Money doesn’t seem to do it anymore, as there is so much in player salaries now (King on $800k!!!). Players still want to enjoy their footy, win games and see prospect.

We stupidly backed in admin that thought that a Moorabbin geography and offers they apparently “couldn’t refuse” would be enough.

Bad management is bad management
wally
Club Player

From what I remember about Hamill was he had a big blue with John Elliot the Carlton president and he walked out , we had money and space so we got him.
Fraser also toured Collingwood but said they were “too full on” so came to us

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hamill left Carlton because he was insulted by their contract offer

It was about the money but he was also sold a vision with Malcolm Blight (as was Gehrig)

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 8:11pm Hamill left Carlton because he was insulted by their contract offer

It was about the money but he was also sold a vision with Malcolm Blight (as was Gehrig)
On that basis how could anybody resist the vision of playing in a Ross Lyon team? :oops:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If you’re a forward

You’d rather go and play VFL with Port Melbourne

Than play in Ross

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 12:25am Simon doesn't run things.

I was talking about Mr Dalrymple, their recently appointed talent identification and player movement manager. :lol:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 8:51pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 12:25am Simon doesn't run things.

I was talking about Mr Dalrymple, their recently appointed talent identification and player movement manager. :lol:
ok... No worries

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We need to hit the draft hard to try to bring in top end talent, then we can look into trade/FA in a year or two. It seems a foregone conclusion at this point that Battle is walking to Hawthorn and that should net us band 1 compo, so we probably have two picks in the top 6, which is a great start.

Don't mind picking up players returning home or looking for more opportunity cheap ala Steele, Membrey, Roberton, Henry, Higgins but we shouldn't be trading our prime draft picks for a messiah.