Bombers trying to poach Caldwell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bombers trying to poach Caldwell

saintbob wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020 3:36am
longtimesaint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 11:39am If he is coming to us I would think he will nominate as soon as our season is finished.
Hopefully we are ready to sign up our players we need for the future .
Paton, Lonie and Jake would be a good start.

LONIE IS NOT THE FUTURE
Still prefer him to Kent.

Prefer others though.

We should be trying to snatch someone like Sexton from the GC.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 5:38pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 8:49am Remember how under the Richo years we kept beating our chest about how we were going after big names with lots of money
Cameron
Fyfe
Kelly
Hurley
Shiel
Heppel
Mitchell
Sloan
McGovern
Lever

On and on it went and what we got was essentially the leftovers.

People can smell dysfunction or just sense when things really aren’t working well and typically want to steer clear of it unless it really really all they can get.

3 years of not being able to attract bees to honey and then the moment Richo goes, incomes Hill, Howard, Jones and Ryder... all desirable targets that chose us and the talk is that there is more coming
It was mainly footy forums like SS beating their chests about getting the big names. Most was rubbish. Anyway, obviously failure to attract good players was all on Richo, of course nothing to do with the move from Seaford, appointment of Gubby Allen, Gallagher, etc.

Still haven't attracted a big name of the calibre of the ones listed above, but achieved smart recruiting of good players for needs. Allen and Gallagher played a major part in that.
The Saints admin we’re doing plenty of chest-beating. Finnis was still referring to us as a “destination” club when the wheels were falling off in 2017.

SS was only guilty of lapping up the spin.

Bad management is bad management
takeaway
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020 10:49pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 5:38pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 8:49am Remember how under the Richo years we kept beating our chest about how we were going after big names with lots of money
Cameron
Fyfe
Kelly
Hurley
Shiel
Heppel
Mitchell
Sloan
McGovern
Lever

On and on it went and what we got was essentially the leftovers.

People can smell dysfunction or just sense when things really aren’t working well and typically want to steer clear of it unless it really really all they can get.

3 years of not being able to attract bees to honey and then the moment Richo goes, incomes Hill, Howard, Jones and Ryder... all desirable targets that chose us and the talk is that there is more coming
It was mainly footy forums like SS beating their chests about getting the big names. Most was rubbish. Anyway, obviously failure to attract good players was all on Richo, of course nothing to do with the move from Seaford, appointment of Gubby Allen, Gallagher, etc.

Still haven't attracted a big name of the calibre of the ones listed above, but achieved smart recruiting of good players for needs. Allen and Gallagher played a major part in that.
The Saints admin we’re doing plenty of chest-beating. Finnis was still referring to us as a “destination” club when the wheels were falling off in 2017.

SS was only guilty of lapping up the spin.
Yes, SS lapping up some spin, but mainly making up their own spin, happens every year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BUMP

This thread is from October 2020

If Lethlean didn't bring in Dan Hannebery on huge coin and then follow that up with Brad Hill, perhaps they might have been able to outbid Essendon for Caldwell

We were happy to pay Max King for his potential, but not prepared to pay for young mids like Caldwell

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 12:12am BUMP

This thread is from October 2020

If Lethlean didn't bring in Dan Hannebery on huge coin and then follow that up with Brad Hill, perhaps they might have been able to outbid Essendon for Caldwell

We were happy to pay Max King for his potential, but not prepared to pay for young mids like Caldwell
They went for the tried and true failure route instead, the one we are still on. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
SuperDuper
Club Player

yes we had Caldwell in our grasp and should have paid up and at least matched Essendon which is all he wanted

More bad bad list management

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I thought Caldwell chose Essendon due to us preferring Crouch

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

What this thread proves to me is that you can recruit players despite seemingly being in a worse onfield position.

Hopefully we're the ones grabbing the next Caldwell over the next two off seasons.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 9:43am What this thread proves to me is that you can recruit players despite seemingly being in a worse onfield position.
Yes...As long as the recruiting manager isn't overruled...and as long as the talent scout manager isn't overruled by Silvagni or Lyon

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 10:07am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 9:43am What this thread proves to me is that you can recruit players despite seemingly being in a worse onfield position.
Yes...As long as the recruiting manager isn't overruled...and as long as the talent scout manager isn't overruled by Silvagni or Lyon
I still wish Finnis had had the nuts to overrule Trout over our disastrous recruitment of Paddy.

Bad management is bad management
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 6:53pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2024 10:07am
I still wish Finnis had had the nuts to overrule Trout over our disastrous recruitment of Paddy.
Can't argue with that

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Well I think I’ve put looking really well here…

And yes… Caldwell is still dead to me