Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

Do it!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Where did pick 4 and 5 come from?

According to the AFL's rules, compensation can be one of 5 places
• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

Not two high 1st round picks

https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/free-agency

Moods
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 4:23pm Where did pick 4 and 5 come from?

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

We wouldn't be getting 2 x 1st round picks for Battle. Our first pick would be for finishing 4th bottom. Our next pick is the compensatory pick for battle.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I've given this a lot of thought and changed my view which was that his departure would not be the end of the world because St Kilda is blessed with a few other options to take his place as a key defender.

The thing we need to take into account is that Battle is a really versatile player, equally at home at both ends of the ground, and it is in attack that I can see him playing a very strong role in the coming years.

At 26 next year he is in his prime, he attacks the ball ferociously, a very strong mark and is rarely beaten.

In 2025 I would expect him to partner Max King at CHF and play a major role in a vastly improved forward line.

He should be offered a top dollar long term deal and a key role in the leadership group to stay at Moorabbin.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shrodes
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 4:48pm

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

We wouldn't be getting 2 x 1st round picks for Battle. Our first pick would be for finishing 4th bottom. Our next pick is the compensatory pick for battle.
Yeah gotcha, so it's clickbait then.
The quote in the image was
"They're a real chance at getting pick 4 and pick 5 as a compensation pick for Josh Battle."

In reality the quote should be "They're a real chance at getting pick 4 from ladder position, and pick 5 as a compensation pick for Josh Battle."

Just the usual garbage from AFL media, I'm sure they do it deliberately for engagement on their social media posts at people pointing out nonsense like this.

silverhalo
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 5:50pm

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

"They're a real chance at getting pick 4 and pick 5 as a compensation pick for Josh Battle."

In reality the quote should be "They're a real chance at getting pick 4 from ladder position, and pick 5 as a compensation pick for Josh Battle."

Just the usual garbage from AFL media, I'm sure they do it deliberately for engagement on their social media posts at people pointing out nonsense like this.
Absolutely it was clickbait - I was reading this and wondered how we were going to get the 2 high draft picks as compensation for the departure of Josh Battle - terrible journalism not making it clear that we will be fully entitled to one of them anyway!

My feeling is that Josh Battle will leave Moorabbin - he hasn't proclaimed his unending love and loyalty for the club as they normally do when they're intent on staying put. I love Josh Battle but if we get pick 5 in return then I think that's more than fair compensation. I really don't want the club to match any stupid offer from Hawthorn if it means we have to sell the farm - would rather take 4 & 5 to the draft and bring in a couple of gun mids and hope to trade in a solid defender.

Lack of quality mids is our achilles heel and this would go a long way towards addressing that issue

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We now not only need an additional big defender, but we also require two gun midfielders and a key forward, in my humble opinion.

At least!!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Killa
Club Player

And support for Marshall

With all due respect for Battle, his skills and competitiveness he is the same size as some of the midfielders currently in the AFL

And St Kilda have tried him as a mid - and as a forward where, again, the result was problematic

So versatility?

Simply, he is a very competitive undersized key defender

So do Hawthorn therefore deploy him on a half back flank alongside Sicily?

Or trial him again as a mid or a forward?

It makes you query Hawthorn’s strategy given the length and amount of the offer rumoured to be on the table for Battle

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 7:06pm We now not only need an additional big defender, but we also require two gun midfielders and a key forward, in my humble opinion.

At least!!!
No confidence in Caminiti, Keeler, draft pick draft pick. Matteus? Written off Paddy?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 7:38pm And support for Marshall

With all due respect for Battle, his skills and competitiveness he is the same size as some of the midfielders currently in the AFL

And St Kilda have tried him as a mid - and as a forward where, again, the result was problematic

So versatility?

Simply, he is a very competitive undersized key defender

So do Hawthorn therefore deploy him on a half back flank alongside Sicily?

Or trial him again as a mid or a forward?

It makes you query Hawthorn’s strategy given the length and amount of the offer rumoured to be on the table for Battle
More money than sense?
Roughead and Ratts maybe big boosters?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 7:53pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 7:06pm We now not only need an additional big defender, but we also require two gun midfielders and a key forward, in my humble opinion.

At least!!!
No confidence in Caminiti, Keeler, draft pick draft pick. Matteus? Written off Paddy?
IDK.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Anyone have an idea who we would take with picks 4 & 5?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
St Dave
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 5:50pm

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

You might just want to take a deep breath, maybe put on some calming music and give it all a re-read in a more relaxed state of mind.

At worst they are missing a comma, as in "They're a real chance at getting pick 4, and pick 5 as a compensation pick for Josh Battle."

The term click bait is usually reserved for sensational headings that don't give anything away with the purpose of getting a sucker to click through to the page (eg "you won't believe the investing tricks Koshie used to make his millions"), not images that are the entirety of the story that are maybe missing a comma to try to draw in grammar pedants.

Also, did you mean AFL media (as in the media branch of the AFL)? Or the AFL media as in the whole industry? Because that is a fox footy story, so I presume the second one but it wasn't quite clear

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 9:55pm Anyone have an idea who we would take with picks 4 & 5?
We'll trade both pick no. 4 and pick no. 5 for Dylan Shiel and Totty Goldstein :mrgreen:

....Or Mason Cox and Jamie Elliot :|

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Might be reconsidering?

silverhalo
Club Player

Had a chat to our prez today, Andrew Bassatt and spoke about the Battle thing.... I said it wouldn't be too bad if we could get Pick 5 for him but he chopped me off quickly saying that we are really hoping he'll stay but no guarantees..... what do we read into that?

St Dave
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2024 10:27pm Had a chat to our prez today, Andrew Bassatt and spoke about the Battle thing.... I said it wouldn't be too bad if we could get Pick 5 for him but he chopped me off quickly saying that we are really hoping he'll stay but no guarantees..... what do we read into that?
That depends, are you best mates with the prez speaking privately to him and he knows you aren't going to spill to the press or a forum or something?

Because if not we read that's exactly what anyone at the club would be expected to say. Even if Battle had made up his mind to leave, he isn't going to tell the club anyway until the end of the season, so the prez wouldn't know. And if he genuinely hasn't made up him mind, no-one is going to talk a player out of the club with games to go in the season where they are expected to play by telling people that they are already gone or that it would be good if they left.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

How about trade Max for an early 1st / gun mid, and give some of his future wage to keep Battle, and draft another potential gun mid with our first pick?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2024 10:43pm How about trade Max for an early 1st / gun mid, and give some of his future wage to keep Battle, and draft another potential gun mid with our first pick?
Yeah makes sense let’s give away our only key forward.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2024 10:43pm How about trade Max for an early 1st / gun mid, and give some of his future wage to keep Battle, and draft another potential gun mid with our first pick?
Your only redeeming feature is your name

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Was that Battle’s kid singing the song after the game?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely no guarantee pick 5/6 will be better than Battle - and we may need to wait 3 years before they become a lock in the best 18.

It’s a false economy in my books. I’d be looking to hold onto him . Our first pick will be pick 4 or 5 anyways. Look at Essendon this year - bring in a mix of experienced players and draft picks is the way to improve the list.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
silverhalo
Club Player

I'm hearing that this year's draft is not the best ever but I've read that there are up to 8 potential quality midfielders there.
I've gotten used to the fact that we won't have Battle next year and I'd gladly take Pick 5 as compensation.

Use 4 & 5 on what look like quality midfielders because we desperately need them - doesn't look like we'll score any as free agents. Battle does really well as an undersized key backman (plays tall) but they are definitely easier to find.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

If Battle goes, #5 is overs in compensation.
Not saying he’s not a very good AFL player, but would any club give a top 5 pick for him?

We have options in Camanitti, Keeler, Sharman & Shoenmaker to replace Josh, therefore the chance to grab 2x elite young kids would be tempting.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 05 Jul 2024 9:55pm Anyone have an idea who we would take with picks 4 & 5?
Have a look and see who the best rated half back flankers are in the draft, that should give you a good idea of who we’d select.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!