It's passed me by, but I still love my Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

It's passed me by, but I still love my Saints

G'day Folks! :D

Hasn't been much of a season (results-wise) thus far.... actually, as a matter of fact, it's been bloody awful. :cry:

I'm 80 next birthday (April '25 all being well) and sad to say, I believe that the the prospects, realistically, of me seeing my beloved Saints win a flag are now non-existent...... we appear to be further away from a premiership than ever.

How does that make me feel? Well, sad in the first instance, and frustrated that all the efforts of coaches and players over the decades of my membership have yielded naught.

Does it make me despair, and want to give it all away?......errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr HELL NO!!!!! The simple fact is, that I enjoy "going to the footy" Meeting good pals, chewing the fat and having a few beers together and then watching the game! Why would I want to give all that away?

I may not see my club salute in September, but I love it! Support it! and will go on doing so till I cant!!!

GO Saints! (To Hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's passed me by, but I still love my Saints

I share your thoughts mate
There are a few on here that could take a leaf from your book

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Well said jigger, i think they are striving to win a flag in 2066.

They seem to be on course as it doesn't look possible anytime soon. :shock:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 5:55pm Well said jigger, i think they are striving to win a flag in 2066.

They seem to be on course as it doesn't look possible anytime soon. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GOLD!!! Mate, I have to say THAT'S what I'm talking about!!! The ability to be able to find some humour/irony in our current state! Last Sunday against those Port mongrels, I was doing me block at some of the errors and plain dumb football that was being played by our side....... SO I do NOT "enjoy" losing or "accept" mediocrity, but "what am I gonna do?!!" as Tony Soprano so eloquently put it? :? I'd find it easier to change the colour of my eyes than give the Saints away!

Saints58
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 5:22pm G'day Folks! :D

Hasn't been much of a season (results-wise) thus far.... actually, as a matter of fact, it's been bloody awful. :cry:

I'm 80 next birthday (April '25 all being well) and sad to say, I believe that the the prospects, realistically, of me seeing my beloved Saints win a flag are now non-existent...... we appear to be further away from a premiership than ever.

How does that make me feel? Well, sad in the first instance, and frustrated that all the efforts of coaches and players over the decades of my membership have yielded naught.

Does it make me despair, and want to give it all away?......errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr HELL NO!!!!! The simple fact is, that I enjoy "going to the footy" Meeting good pals, chewing the fat and having a few beers together and then watching the game! Why would I want to give all that away?

I may not see my club salute in September, but I love it! Support it! and will go on doing so till I cant!!!

GO Saints! (To Hell with the rest!)

What a great supporter you are we should all have the attitude like you.
Have heart things can turn around quickly and you still might be lucky.
Go sainters!!!!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I admire your passion and I mean that with all sincerity. I wish I had it.

Obviously, I’m incredibly resentful about what our club has been allowed to become. But, no use rinsing and repeating.

Great post Jigster!

Bad management is bad management
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 5:36pm I share your thoughts mate
?? You want to us all to think the same
the prospects realistically, of me seeing my beloved Saints win a flag are now non-existent.
I get what jiggster is saying but we must have hope.

We need to see green shoots of progress, and we need to believe it's realistically possible to become a force again.
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 03 Jul 2024 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 6:33pm
The Fireman wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 5:36pm I share your thoughts mate
?? You want to us all to think the same
the prospects realistically, of me seeing my beloved Saints win a flag are now non-existent.
Well not to the letter of the law :wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 6:21pm I admire your passion and I mean that with all sincerity. I wish I had it.

Obviously, I’m incredibly resentful about what our club has been allowed to become. But, no use rinsing and repeating.

Great post Jigster!
I appreciate your kind thoughts Colleague, thank you. However, I posted the OP to kind of express my feelings toward the club during a very difficult period in which to support them. Ask Mrs Jigging if I "accept mediocrity" or "enjoy losing"?? :wink: SHE has to deal with me in the aftermath of some of these games!! (must be LURVE??? :lol: :lol: :lol: ) My point is: results are NOT every reason why I attend the footy, sometimes it's nice to kind of, step back a pace, and reflect on what comes first? The game? or the WIN? In my case, its a matter of catching up with my good friend Tom, sharing a couple of pre game beers together with some other good pals, good conversation, and company....... then simply going to watch the match, and let the result take care of itself.... That's me, others may disagree, that's their right on a forum such as ours.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

Gidday Bob I am a bit younger than your goodself, but I dont think your statement is yours alone. I think understanding that we will never win another flag is just part of becoming a Saints supporter and player for that matter.

For most of our history we have been our own worst enemy, poorly managed/administered and as a result have made some catastrophic financial and footballing decisions. Into the 70's and 80's as a club we didnt embrace the professionalism required and as result were left years behind the competition and have basically struggled ever since.

I see the AFL as a great example of 'modern capitalism', where the rich get richer and the poor poorer. The AFL in its own corrupt or ignorant manner intubates the whole facade. They roll out systems like 'equalisation' but the reality is they know the league will never be a fair and equal competition. The rich clubs buy there sucess and the system is geared to have the minows struggling along making up the numbers. Thats us and it not about to change we are just coming from too far back to bridge the gap. Basically there are just so many things stacked against us, so winning a flag is just a pipe dream for St Kilda supporters.

I relate following St Kilda akin to having a dream you know will never be fulfilled. So I am also resigned to the fact that I will never see them win a flag and try to get the enjoyment out of seeing the kids coming through to give the next generation some hope.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

When I walked out of the MCG at the end of GF2 in 2010, I said to a mate that we won't be back here for at least another 10 years.

That mate recently reminded me of that statement I made on that day, he further said that at the time he thought I was just emotional and upset and never for one moment thought that 14 years later we would have spent the majority of our time since the 2010 GFs at the bottom of the ladder and in constant rebuild mode.

A year later the coach made it official with his "end of an era" statement.

Interesting to hear Paul Roos talk about how he thinks the talent pool has shrunk considerably since the 80s and 90s.

talent, a coach is nothing without it.

Bring on the Tasmanian team aye!

Club Player

I love your sentiment jigging saint. But my Mum lived to 95 so why can't you and I? Plenty of time left to cry when we win it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I have made a conscious decision to live longer to witness a flag

King Max
Club Player

I’m prepared to bet anyone here any amount of money, that we will win another flag in my lifetime.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2024 8:04pm I’m prepared to bet anyone here any amount of money, that we will win another flag in my lifetime.
I’m not betting with you, Benjamin button

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

good on you jiggster. i have a fair few more years up my sleeve (hopefully - who knows, lost my best mate two years ago) but the truth is i've never expected to see a flag. would love one, but never been desperate for one as a result of never expecting it. its the last reason i would support the saints.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Recall that several clubs have gone a generation or two between premierships. Plenty haven't had much success for yonks. And turnarounds can come suddenly once the tipping point is reached.
Nevertheless I suspect a number of Sensationalists like to wallow in self pity, cheap sarcasm and join the media naysayers. Which is their right of course. Easier to look for fault in an imperfect world and throw stones than see positives in complexity and embracing the efforts of the current Club leaders.
Success will come Jigging Saint. At the moment the forum is quibling about trivialities and crying over spilt milk.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I wish I had more faith in our club, but after 1997 and 2009, with the sides we had then, we couldn't get it done...we seem so far away from that level of class.

Good on you Jiggster, but my enthusiasm has been well and truly curbed.

I look at our list, and I see, or imagine I see, young players looking for a way out.

Nasiah is rolled gold elite, he's signed on for a couple of years, but I'll be surprised if he's with us after that.

I hope I'm wrong....I often am, but I'm not sure if there's another team that brings in talent and turns them into self- doubting fumblers like we do.

We do have a talented core, we live in hope.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The Saint motto should be changed to "support the unsupportable" as a forewarning to would-be supporters.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Cheers Jiggster, good to see your spirit again - I am just a few years your junior but also don't believe I'll see a future flag before the coffin. We are forced to live with a great many disappointments and sometimes insane decisions made at club level. But we have learned to move on. Go Saints and Go Jiggster
Last edited by SaintWiki on Fri 05 Jul 2024 11:59am, edited 2 times in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

A lot of people probably felt that way in 1997 when we won only one of our first five games and then recovered to finish on top of the ladder for the first time in 32 years and play off in our first grand final in 26 years.
Same as 2008, when we were bundled out of finals, and recovered to finish on top again and play off in another close grand final and the same again the year after.
I would hold your hour and have another Jiggster, because if Battle does go, and we finish third bottom, which looks a certainty at this stage, we will get access to two of the best midfielders in the entire country. This is what we lack more than anything else.
We're not losing by much, and I believe that Ross and Boris are the best available to get us back in contention.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2024 8:04pm I’m prepared to bet anyone here any amount of money, that we will win another flag in my lifetime.
Happy fifth birthday King Max!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sanctorum
Club Player

C'mon Jigging Saint, it's not going to pass you by...I've got my 85th birthday coming up mid December and not for a moment do I ever contemplate that I won't be around to celebrate St Kilda's 2nd premiership!!!

Masses of water flow under the bridge of life and I feel so blessed to have the privilege to support the Mighty Saints - we are a unique bunch of true believers the majority of whom never lose faith that the tides will turn our way, if not next year, then the next or the one after that......

Seasons like this when the team is not playing well are certainly challenging, but I refuse to apportion blame to the senior coach because he has achieved success in the past with both our team and Fremantle and will do so again in his second crack with the Saints.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

OWEN

ace
Saintsational Legend

In a few years maybe I will be able to get ChatGPT to produce a video of St Kilda winning an AFL Grand Final.
I could pretend that it were real instead of just an artificial intelligence production.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA