Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

amusingname wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 10:37am All this talk about matching if its a end of first round compo, he is unrestricted so no matching is available. If he decides he wants to go to the hawks, thats what happens and we get what we are given.

Hopefully we have a solid understanding of what the 1st Round comp pick level is so at least If he decides to move on we can trigger it

An end of 1st of Round pick for Battle would be tragic especially when you see North get a 1st round compo for a spud like McKay

Either way AFL are likely to shaft us anyway due to the recent noise Bassat & Lyon have been making

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think they’ll give us first round compo, to appease us and to try and improve us!

If we get pick 5 for a 25yo Battle

We should take it

Pick 12-18 is about his worth imo - and he is OOC and we need to rebuild

St Dave
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 6:14pm
amusingname wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 10:37am All this talk about matching if its a end of first round compo, he is unrestricted so no matching is available. If he decides he wants to go to the hawks, thats what happens and we get what we are given.

Hopefully we have a solid understanding of what the 1st Round comp pick level is so at least If he decides to move on we can trigger it

An end of 1st of Round pick for Battle would be tragic especially when you see North get a 1st round compo for a spud like McKay

Either way AFL are likely to shaft us anyway due to the recent noise Bassat & Lyon have been making
If doesn't really matter about understanding the compo, if he chooses to leave we take what the AFLs secret sauce gives us. McKay was a number one defender so his compo was about right (as in after first pick, the fact that North were so bad meant they got a bit of a bonus on top), so if we get the same for our third tall back that is probably a bit of a steal

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Secret sauce is pretty obvious

It’s tied to size of contract and length of contract

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

You could put forth an argument that currently Battle is our no 1 defender though this along with McKay being North's prime defender doesn't factor into the compo handed out .... well .... as far as we know!!

As stated and most would agree Band 2 compo for Battle would be a horrible outcome.... a pick in the 20s

If that's the way its looking then I would prefer to pony up and appease Battle .... unless of course he is absolute in his decision to move on no matter our offer but at the same time an increased offer from our side just.might just get Hawks to offer more .... which I am sure Battle would be even happier with ....from a financial perspective Battle can't lose!!

He can upgrade his "green machine" x 4 :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn’t offer him anymore than 750 over 5

We have been stung by overpaying in the past, and being tied to big contracts can effect your future TPP

I see Battle as a solid player, has not finished top 5 in a b&f (might this season) never been in the AA Squad and obviously is an undersized CHB - would be much better suited to the 3rd def which Wilkie plays.

Difference between B McKay and Battle - Ben McKay is 201cm and can play on gorillas on ie/ his brother
Battle is 193 (I query that) and is not a big unit.

Good mark, good kick, reads the play well and is a good intercept mark. Very courageous. Great endurance
Not great below his knees, not very agile

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 9:29pm I wouldn’t offer him anymore than 750 over 5

We have been stung by overpaying in the past, and being tied to big contracts can effect your future TPP

I see Battle as a solid player, has not finished top 5 in a b&f (might this season) never been in the AA Squad and obviously is an undersized CHB - would be much better suited to the 3rd def which Wilkie plays.

Difference between B McKay and Battle - Ben McKay is 201cm and can play on gorillas on ie/ his brother
Battle is 193 (I query that) and is not a big unit.

Good mark, good kick, reads the play well and is a good intercept mark. Very courageous. Great endurance
Not great below his knees, not very agile
You keep posting common sense, logical, smart analysis like that and I’m tempted to get you off foe
You’re in form
Carry on.
Agree btw
We are in professional hands - club has a value for Battle…won’t go beyond it

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Keep me on your foe list

I have absolutely no time for you, you have no idea about footy and add zero

Btw
If I’m a foe, why and how are you responding to me?!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Nope back to rubbish
Sadly

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

My understanding is that you don’t see my posts?

Therefore don’t have to respond?!

Is your Foe function not working properly?

As I said, I have no time for apologists and give zero fks what you think of me. If we ever agreed, I’d second guess my knowledge, because you offer nothing

ace
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 3:31pm And Marshall can not play as a forward

Nuff said
Neither can Max King

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 10:28pm If we ever agreed, I’d second guess my knowledge, because you offer nothing
I think fluffers are very useful

SteeleSaints
Club Player

I am still hoping he stays, we cant afford to lose a 25yo CHB with his best footy ahead of him. The other thing with Josh is he is versatile he can be used in a number of positions if required.

St Dave
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 8:34pm You could put forth an argument that currently Battle is our no 1 defender though this along with McKay being North's prime defender doesn't factor into the compo handed out .... well .... as far as we know!!

As stated and most would agree Band 2 compo for Battle would be a horrible outcome.... a pick in the 20s

If that's the way its looking then I would prefer to pony up and appease Battle .... unless of course he is absolute in his decision to move on no matter our offer but at the same time an increased offer from our side just.might just get Hawks to offer more .... which I am sure Battle would be even happier with ....from a financial perspective Battle can't lose!!

He can upgrade his "green machine" x 4 :lol:
Sorry, I didn't mean being their number one defender made the compo better, just that a number 1 defender would be asking for a wage that would probably bring about that level of compo. Any club losing their number 3 defender as we are (even with Howard out I don't think Battle is lining up on the oppositions key forward each week, at least not for the whole game) would be stoked to get a pick after their first as compo.

Though the compo is saying more about how the Hawks are valuing him, we can only hope they see him as their number one back and want to pay him as such. Or maybe they just have the cash spare in their wage structure

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 10:28pm My understanding is that you don’t see my posts?

Therefore don’t have to respond?!

Is your Foe function not working properly?

As I said, I have no time for apologists and give zero fks what you think of me. If we ever agreed, I’d second guess my knowledge, because you offer nothing
He/she tells fibs. Says he/she foes people but he/she doesn't because posts keep getting answered,

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He’s a unit.

Ignore.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

We are fools to let battle go. He is good and getting better. Why risk him for a high draft pick, it is moronic. Look at our last ten first round draft picks. How many of them are clearly better than battle. And I don’t mean played a few ok games or have potential. King, Clark coffield? Wilson is still unknown and can’t remeber if pou was round one. I’d take battle over any of them

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

At any price/cost?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2024 6:56pm We are fools to let battle go. He is good and getting better. Why risk him for a high draft pick, it is moronic. Look at our last ten first round draft picks. How many of them are clearly better than battle. And I don’t mean played a few ok games or have potential. King, Clark coffield? Wilson is still unknown and can’t remeber if pou was round one. I’d take battle over any of them
Don’t think we have a choice

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Massively overrating him - which is what we do

Hopefully Hawthorn are too

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2024 8:47pm Massively overrating him - which is what we do

Hopefully Hawthorn are too
Have to agree, but that's not to dismiss his many strengths and undoubted value.
Not that long ago Josh was tried on a wing and failed.
Good luck to him getting the offer from Hawthorn. I hope he doesn't take their 30 pieces of silver but if he does it could easily be a good thing for us draft pick wise. It won't be a disaster.
Actually his manager might make the decision for him, depending on Josh's level of affection for the Saints.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Let’s take a best 22 player and hope the pick we get as compo is also a best 18 player in 3 - 5 years time.

Of course if it doesn’t work out well we just made ourselves weaker for the next 3 years for no good reason.

Of course in 3 - 5 years from now , a bunch of our other best 18 players might also decide it’s not worth sticking around. So we can get into this downward spiral until we finally hit our comfort zone at the bottom of the ladder.

Good times ahead.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.