Coaching Appointments

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

Re: Coaching Appointments

In fact, the Board could not distinguish responsibility between Ken and Peter

So they moved both of them on

Apart from what Allan Killigrew and the bevy of former St Kilda he bought to Norwood, including Brian Bowe and their stories when I was a kid, I knew nothing of St Kilda until into the 80’s

Post that was the Sheldon and Hudson episode following a disappointing season versus expectations

Then Watson was to return to playing with St Kilda but Essendon got wind and the rest was history - St Kilda feeling obligated to Watson accordingly and ultimately appointing Watson as Coach

Thru all of this was the financial position St Kilda faced - noting it only survived because of Lindsay Fox threatening to remove his business from ANZ if it did not accept what was being offered to Unsecured Creditors (ANZ secured by the Licence)

Blight gave a profile whilst practising his golf swing and seeing the likes of Hamill, Gehrig, Penny alongside the Drafting courtesy of the Club finishing bottom (starting with Riewoldt and Kossy)

Then more recently came the strategy put in place by James Gallagher until he returned to Adelaide for family reasons

That strategy still holds

Improvement is in prospect BUT there are 18 sides in the Competition, some more favoured by the AFL than St Kilda

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are u just naming gun ex AFL forwards??

None of those coach at all

Why not Reiwoldt then??? Get him back from Texas!

I jest of course, but I’d definitely look for a better forward line coach!

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 11:34am Longmire is a proven coach. Sydney have never bottomed out. I think they have only had 2 top 5 picks in the last decade!
Sydney's consistency isn't only on Longmire, it started with Roos. Ironically if Longmire had gotten the Saints job in 2007 (he was short listed with Lyon & McKenna). Lyon probably would have succeeded Roos at Sydney and I doubt much would be different for Sydney.
It's the whole package, including recruiting, list management, player development and consistent discipline to systems and standards in all areas.
I think that's what Lyon and Bassat want to build at St Kilda.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Definitely not just on Longmire, but he is a huge part of driving their success and culture

They’ve recruited well, developed well, traded well and off field are rock solid!

But no doubt they are coached well, Longmire has a better record and imo is a superior coach to Lyon

Roos has been gone for more than 15 years, not sure he gets much credit for their current success. You could go even further back to Rodney Eade who got the swans going in 96 and really, they have hardly missed finals since!