Mark Robinson interviews Andrew Bassat

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Mark Robinson interviews Andrew Bassat

Following is transcript of Mark Robinson's extensive interview published in Saturday's Herald Sun:

"MR: Is St Kilda flying under the radar or is the club irrelevant?

AB: We try not to be irrelevant – we absolutely want to be a club that is respected and feared. I know we need to do some work on the field in terms of performance – and consistently – to get there.

MR: So not respected and feared?

AB: Not at the moment, but we’re planning on getting there before too long.

MR: When you appointed Ross Lyon, you spoke of wanting a winning culture. Brett Ratten had a 34-34 win-loss record in his time, and Lyon is now 18-20. Does that record match the want of a winning culture?

AB: We were pretty clear when we appointed Ross that we were a long way off it as a football club, and that we weren’t on track to be competitive at the top end of the ladder.

MR: I thought you were quite bullish at the time.

AB: No, we made it very clear there was a risk we could go backwards before going forwards. We said we were a long way off it after the review. Ross came on board fully aware of the problems. I was entirely transparent with Ross, and he believed we were committed to the long-term future and committed to supporting him through the ups and downs, hrough the noise that happens when you’re not performing every week. We knew it wouldn’t be easy.

MR: Where does St Kilda sit now?

AB: We’ve gone back to the draft for the last three years. We’ve got games into our young players. Ross has put standards around the place ...

MR: How can we – on the outside – judge those standards?

AB: The challenge for football clubs, and I’m learning this, is the noise is pretty intense. The noise from fans and the media when you lose games is strong. And people try to avoid the noise by making short-term decisions. Football is the same as business, getting the process right leads to results. And there’s all sorts of things that go into that process. That’s making sure there is consistency in terms of messaging. You can see the standards. Anyone who comes to training now versus where training was three or four years ago would say the training standards are different. People work harder, they’re focused on the job, there’s much less mucking around, they’re much quicker to call things out, those are the things we can see. The players feel they’re being pushed to work harder, pushed to be more disciplined with their lifestyle in terms of drinking and all those sorts of things. They feel more belief in the game plan, more belief in each other. To me, you want signs on the field but you want to look at the process leading to those signs first and eventually if you keep doing that you will get there. Most weeks this year we have been younger and less experienced than our opposition.

MR: You’re all-in on Ross Lyon, aren’t you?

AB: Yes and no.

MR: What do you mean by yes and no?

AB: Yes, absolutely in terms of the football department. We think he’s a very strong coach. To be frank, from the review, I thought we had problems everywhere and we felt Ross was the person we could build a football club around.

MR: Why the no?

AB: When you say all-in, the rumours that Ross is unaccountable within football is not true. The rumours that he’s trying to run the football club are not true. He’s a strong coach, he’s open to feedback and he’s not trying to run areas beyond football.

MR: Does it frustrate you when you hear and read that he is the alpha male and he gets whatever he wants, and that includes CEOs?

AB: I know it’s not true, that he’s the puppeteer and I’m the puppet. I don’t really care too much about it.

MR: You can keep denying it, but how do you get rid of that perception?

AB: Look, all the key people are committed and we won’t let the noise distract us. If on the way we cop some criticism, I cop some criticism, Ross cops some criticism, we’re up for that. We’d prefer to cop that than take short-term decisions, which aren’t right for the long-term future.

MR: Can you clarify if this story is true? That leading up to Ratten’s sacking, you went on Lindsay Fox’s boat for his birthday, and a bunch of old Saints people like Lindsay and Gerry Ryan said,

‘Hey, why don’t we get Ross Lyon to coach?’

AB: Do you honestly reckon I’d go on a boat with all these guys and say a single word about what was happening at the St Kilda Football Club without it leaking out? I didn’t say a word to what was happening to anyone on that boat. It wasn’t discussed at all. It was such a sensitive issue. It was a brutally hard decision on Brett (Ratten); he’s a good person, and (it was) by far, the hardest decision I’ve made in my life.

MR: There’s another perception that the former cohort at St Kilda, which includes Nick Riewoldt, is very influential. True or not?

AB: I probably spoke to 120 people as part of the review to get to a really strong decision. To give too much weight to one or two people is completely false. And the boat story is completely rubbish.

MR: Are you enjoying the role?

AB: I’ve not enjoyed some of the decisions that have been made, but I’m enjoying the role. I take it very seriously.

MR: You’re a hands-on president?

AB: I’ve become hands-on and I am trying to do that without interfering in the jobs of others. But what you realise when you get involved is just how much it means to so many people. For so many supporters, it’s the most important thing in their lives.

MR: Is it the most important thing in your life?

AB: I’ve become pretty obsessed.

MR: So when you go to bed at night, do you think about your businesses or do you think about the Saints?

AB: I shouldn’t admit this because I’m running a business, but this (St Kilda) is the thing I’m obsessive about, because I know how important it is to so many people.

MR: Despite playing finals in 2023, did the coach declare that the team/list wasn’t as advanced as much as you may have thought it was?

AB: That we have gone a bit backwards this year is probably not how we anticipated things would unfold, but we knew there were gaps. If you look at the commentary last year from Ross, and from everyone involved at the club, no one was getting carried away with our form last year. No one was thinking we were closer than we were. We resisted the temptation to bring in older players and go down the free agency path, to go down the top-up path. The players we brought in were younger. This is no disrespect to Jade Gresham, but there’s no doubt if we kept Jade we would’ve been better this year. We effectively, by allowing Jade to leave because we didn’t want to match the salary, we got a draft pick that we turned into Lance Collard and we got salary cap space. That’s the sort of the decision that takes you backward before it goes forward.

MR: Criticism this year has centred on game style. What do you say to supporters – and to the media – who describe it as rubbish football?

AB: I don’t really listen to what anyone says. Mostly, people are pretty positive. I get the occasional abuse if you have a bad loss. For most part, fans know we’re not taking shortcuts and the more sensible fans are pretty pleased with the direction.

MR: Do you like the style of football?

AB: We scored 106 points against Brisbane last week, we moved the ball fine. I think we’re No.1 for moving the ball from defence to attack. We’re breaking down in actual scoring, but unsurprisingly we’re moving the ball better when our midfielders, who we had been missing, came back.

MR: What was your reaction to suggestions this week that clubs were aware that Rowan Marshall might be gettable?

AB: If that was the reality, I would be concerned, and you’d prefer rumours not be out there when they are false. I have checked on the Rowan Marshall one. The answer is he’s fine.

MR: Do you believe St Kilda is a destination club for free agents?

AB: It’s hard for us because they tend to go to the clubs who are in the window, which is self-reinforcing because they tend to go to clubs at the top (of the ladder), and they stay (there). So free agency continues to be an instrument of
continuing unequalisation. But we’ll do our best.

MR: Do you think it should be “free”?

AB: I don’t. Richmond, for example, get Tom Lynch when they’ve won the flag. The reason for that is the (AFL) Players’ Association wants it. But it’s hard to argue that it’s fair.

MR: It’s testing times for St Kilda supporters. Can you say anything to them other than be patient?

AB: I’m a hardcore fan. The only reason I got involved is because I was impatient and I got convinced I could help a little bit. I completely understand the impatience. Our choice now is to try and rush things to be as good as we can be this year, knowing that won’t get us in the top four, or, we can try to do this properly and cop the noise and cop the criticism. I think the fans would prefer us to get there a bit later and get there more seriously than just dribble into the eight. Anyone can dribble into the eight and fall out the next year. That’s easy, we’ve done that twice. Now we’re trying to get into the top
four and be competitive seriously.

MR: Have you spoken to Brett Ratten?

AB: We started off OK afterwards, but I completely understand Brett’s perspective. Brett doesn’t like me very much. I’ve got great regard for Brett, we had nice exchanges after our decision, but I’ve tried without response more recently.

MR: What’s your vision of St Kilda in, say, four years?

AB: I don’t want to put a timeline on it, but I’d be really disappointed if you don’t see us a hell of a lot more competitive by then. Top four, top six.

MR: It doesn’t have to be said, but it’s a big game (against Port) on Sunday.

AB: I think this is the fourth time this year we’ve met a side that’s had the media on its back all week. That’s OK, you want to prepare yourself for big games.

MR: Do you get tense at the footy?

AB: I’m hopeless. I can barely function. I used to be fine, but now I care so much I have so little control. I need a padded cell with a one-way glass. If I can control myself I sit with people from the president’s dinner, if I find myself going astray I just wander off on my own somewhere. My wife can’t stand it, my kids can’t stand it. I’m a lot more relatable to the
hardcore fans. But with most people, it’s just embarrassing.
"

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Mark Robinson interviews Andrew Bassat

I decided to copy this article on the forum in the hope that supporters who are upset with the lack of progress this year get a clear undertanding that the Board is totally committed to the process set in train in October 2022 with the controversial reappointment of Ross Lyon as senior coach.

It should also lay to rest complaints that RTB is too dominant....and part of the problem rather than the solution.

It's why I don't get worked up about this season's results to date, simply focussed on the slow build of the list via the drafts as the best way to achieve consistent on-field success.

Have to admire Bassat's unmitigated passion for St Kilda!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shrodes
SS Life Member

This seems a lot more forthcoming and frank than his usual President's emails to members.

Thanks for posting

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Good read.

Confident we have the right duo in Bassat and Lyon in their respective posts.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

yeah good read.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 4:37pm "MR: Is St Kilda flying under the radar or is the club irrelevant?"
What an appalling first question!

I would not have blamed Bassett if he ended the interview after that question.

sks023
Club Player

Irrelevent...it's exactly what the club is

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing way it’s been viewed in the media as our president being a whinger. It’s not how I read the article at all. I thought he was measured and passionate at the same time.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing way it’s been viewed in the media as our president being a whinger. It’s not how I read the article at all. I thought he was measured and passionate at the same time.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The pres sounds as avid as most on here

Most
Last edited by The Fireman on Mon 01 Jul 2024 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

MR is not a courteous media person. Questions could have been framed more courteously, more probing. Not much list analysis. No shock value perhaps. The sports journos seem to want to out rude each other. Bassett's responses are great. Thanks for posting.

Club Player

Well I object to the word irrelevant in that context. If St Kilda is irrelevant then so are we the supporters and members. You cannot separate the two.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

There is a lie there

In his press conference, he explicitly stated that the list was better than the results BR was able to achieve. Due to standards - strategy and culture. Ross was brought in to change those things.

Since R6 last year when our defence and turn over game surprised many. We have gone backwards - like we did in 21
Only worse

The game plan is fundamentally flawed. We are very high on turnover and score from d50 - because we get so many back to support - hence - we can be hard to score against and we intercept the ball and run from d50 well

However
We have no ability to score from stoppage
No mid turnovers
No ability to keep in i50 - due to outnumbering
And ridiculously allow high defenders to rack up ridiculous numbers

The game plan is obvious - you only have to look at the Aliir/Owens & Higgins match Up Sunday - we send extra numbers to the source to defend the stoppage
Rather than equalise and open the stoppage

We also bring our forwards up very high - rather than holding and stretching the ground to create space

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We try to condense to defend rather than open up to be able to attack and score

Fundamentally we are defend first team

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I agree good read. Robbo is not afraid to raise difficult topics because he knows a lot of people want answers and he's not only writing for the benefit of St Kilda fans.

A lot of footy fans from other clubs are interested. Just as some of us would be if they interview other presidents. Robbo is a genuine bloke and he asks genuine questions. If he wasn't respected - firstly, he wouldn't get the opportunity - and secondly, he wouldn't extract such honesty from people.

Teffers; Did you enjoy the article?

Do you think Robbo was drunk when he conducted the interview?

Are you going to continue with your cowardly statements on Robinson everytime he says something you don't agree with?

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

These are things that should have been questioned years ago.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

1971 wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 8:18pm Well I object to the word irrelevant in that context. If St Kilda is irrelevant then so are we the supporters and members. You cannot separate the two.
You may well object but it doesn't make it wrong.
In the eyes of the AFL and the majority of football followers we are irrelevant and will remain so until we either become a financial powerhouse or we start to dominate on the field for multiple years.
Looking at the current state of the St Kilda football club neither of those two things look likely to change anytime soon.

I am a believer in Andrew Bassett but he has been caught in a lie here as B.M. stated.
The other thing I question is that training standards have improved, because by Ross Lyon's own admission we train less than other teams.
I think it says a lot that AB had to qualify his statement about RL being a dictator to "he is not trying to run areas beyond football". That statement makes it fairly clear that Ross rules every single football decision and all football department staff.

Club Player

I didn't say it was right or wrong I just stated I object to it. Relevance changes over time. Carlton by some definitions has been irrelevant for nigh on thirty years. Five wooden spoons this century by the supposed mighty bluebaggers. In that time we have played in 4 GF's if you include the replay.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Great read
We are in good hands Bassatt is class
He did say the list can perform better than under Ratten - we’ve been in every game this year bar 1 and played finals year 1 but that’s an anomaly most understand that
Can’t say that towards the end of Brett
They also stated as fact the list isn’t top 4
We gotta build quality and have a bottom 2 midfield so our stoppage work is non existent and our entry into 50 is poor
That’ll change with talent
Robbo is a drunk spud of an interviewer - he’s cringe on 360 I just turn the dribble off zero analysis
Old people like Trollope like him I guess ….makes em fang for a Winnie Blue !

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Easily impressed

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 10:38pm Easily impressed
Easily unimpressed

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yep

Takes more than a few bulls*** words to convince me

I want to see actions

Good decisions, good game plan, good performance

Have seen FA in 2024 to suggest we are anything but irrelevant

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 12:19am Yep

Takes more than a few bulls*** words to convince me

I want to see actions

Good decisions, good game plan, good performance

Have seen FA in 2024 to suggest we are anything but irrelevant
You tell em cowboy
Lot of em just need to “man up” click their fingers and fix 10 years of blatant mediocrity and shyte left over from previous pus filled coaching and administrative twits
But you know the drill …seargant….youve lived it!!

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Zac Dawson used to be Rossco's fluffer

That job is now filled by Teflon

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bassat had convinced himself that kicking out Ratten and bringing Lyon back in, and pushing for a few Saints former champs to come back, would solve all problems, and went around beating his chest over the decision...he has now softened his stance and diverting the argument away in a politician-like way. The only thing that counts is the ladder position, and we are struggling and have gone backwards.