Jack Steele Pathetic performance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steele Pathetic performance

I think we've seen the best of Steele. At his peak he was an absolute gun but now I think he's more just a serviceable midfielder in the rotation. I don't think he can be "the man" anymore. We're crying out for a Petracca/Reid/Horny Francis explosive type.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 12:22am
WellardSaint wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 11:49pm Commentators showed this and said Steele just gave up
Did they highlight everything Steele did well?

Easy to highlight 1 or 2 errors or poor efforts....but everyone makes them

Jack Sinclair was our best on ground, but he gifted Port Adelaide a crucial goal when scores were even. It gave Port the momentum and a handy buffer at 3/4 time.
Everyone has 1 or 2 poor efforts? Don't think so.

There's a big difference between a skill error and choosing not to try.

That footage of Steele, our captain, was very alarming.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 11:49pm JHF was shown pushing Steele off the ball, Steele stopped dead and watched Henry try to go with The Iceman but couldn't get near him.
Commentators showed this and said Steele just gave up
So Henry was in best position to run down JHF what would have been achieved if Steele ran behind them? I'm sure CRIPPS would hand over to SAAD when chasing too.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Steele is not the first and won’t be the last who will be embarrassed by JHF

JHF is a jet

I thought Steele got to plenty of contests and won some fantastic ball for us

Ridiculous and insulting OP

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Sanctorum
Club Player

Calling Jack Steele pathetic is contemptible....

Steele had quite a good game overall, but I was deeply disappointed in his failure to kick goals with two set shots from straight in front 50 m out that didn't even make the distance. No doubt he is too!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 10:51am
WellardSaint wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 11:49pm Commentators showed this and said Steele just gave up

Jack Sinclair was our best on ground, but he gifted Port Adelaide a crucial goal when scores were even. It gave Port the momentum and a handy buffer at 3/4 time.

Now I know why people like you and others on here are going on about this. You heard a Foxfooty commentator pluck 1 incident in one moment of the game and somehow that defines Jack Steele does it?

What happened leading up to that point? How many sprint repeat efforts had Steele made before this incident? How many times did he run someone down or run to provide a marking option?

Horne-Francis might have come fresh off the bench for all we know, where as Jack might have been out there for an extended spell.

JHF played at great game no doubt but he spent 75% time on ground. Steele spent 86% tog.

This was a 2 pt game and you have tools coming on here looking for scapegoats...and starting threads that have no merit

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 3:14pm

Now I know why people like you and others on here are going on about this. You heard a Foxfooty commentator pluck 1 incident in one moment of the game and somehow that defines Jack Steele does it?

What happened leading up to that point? How many sprint repeat efforts had Steele made before this incident? How many times did he run someone down or run to provide a marking option?

Horne-Francis might have come fresh off the bench for all we know, where as Jack might have been out there for an extended spell.

JHF played at great game no doubt but he spent 75% time on ground. Steele spent 86% tog.

This was a 2 pt game and you have tools coming on here looking for scapegoats...and starting threads that have no merit
No, I watched the game and came to the conclusion myself through multiple things and instances I saw, the Fox highlight was just a convenient one to reference.

Poor efforts, players running passed him, failing to make the distance from 50 twice... not saying he didn't do good things too (as nearly everyone on a footy field will) but those negatives are worrying signs and not something I'd expect from him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 5:59pm

No, I watched the game and came to the conclusion myself through multiple things and instances I saw, the Fox highlight was just a convenient one to reference.

Poor efforts, players running passed him, failing to make the distance from 50 twice... not saying he didn't do good things too (as nearly everyone on a footy field will) but those negatives are worrying signs and not something I'd expect from him.
Bulldust.

worrying signs my arse

If the Foxtel mouth piece didn't use that example, you wouldn't have said anything

You're full of it. Give us one of your original thoughts next week (on any player) instead of responding to what other people highlight to you

The fact that Rubyjo started this thread is enough to warn you it's garbage

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ask yourself the question, would you rather have him in the side than not

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2024 6:23pm

Bulldust.

worrying signs my arse

If the Foxtel mouth piece didn't use that example, you wouldn't have said anything

You're full of it. Give us one of your original thoughts next week (on any player) instead of responding to what other people highlight to you

Well said clearly a parrot that thrives on negatives.

The goal JHF kicked in what way is that a result of Steele?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

You know, fate, if Jack Higgins had not chipped in and steal the pass Butler sent to Jack Steele he would be the hero of a game we won. JS would have kicked the goal. JH missed badly. Fate.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Bulldust.

worrying signs my arse

I hope internally the club isn’t as accepting of “1 or 2 poor efforts” as some supporters.

There should be no sacred cows, no player above criticism or critique.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 12:01am
WellardSaint wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 11:49pm
I hope internally the club isn’t as accepting of “1 or 2 poor efforts” as some supporters.

There should be no sacred cows, no player above criticism or critique.
Bring back floggings and the stocks eh, that will motivate them. Richos constant criticism worked a treat. What's Jack done for us lately anyway. That's it Dud, lay into em.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

100%.

I'd love the club to become ruthless, set high standards, demand success and stop putting up with mediocrity like so many supporters have been conditioned to accept.

I don't want 'cuddly' Ross.

Then maybe we'd win premiership number 2...

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 10:01am 100%.

I'd love the club to become ruthless, set high standards, demand success and stop putting up with mediocrity like so many supporters have been conditioned to accept.

What does that actually mean?

By ruthless do you want players, coaches, board sacked?

Are you suggesting coaching & training standards are not at acceptable level?
Is it the players?
Is it the administration?

Are you looking for rhetoric?

Do you want the coach to blast the players in the media? Do you want the president to blast the coach and the players in the media?

Do you want this to happen behind closed doors?

What makes you think the club is accepting the current position? Is it because we are not beating our chest in the media.

Yes we are ordinary, we remain mediocre.

Bassatt is a successful businessman, what makes you think he is accepting of our current plight and has no plan in place?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 8:55am

Is it the players?

Do you want the coach to blast the players in the media? Do you want the president to blast the coach and the players in the media?

What makes you think the club is accepting the current position? Is it because we are not beating our chest in the media.

Bassatt is a successful businessman, what makes you think he is accepting of our current plight and has no plan in place?
He doesn't know he thinks it sounds good. We have no idea what is said behind closed doors or in one on one conversations with players and coaches.

Somehow The Dud believes that by a supporter group backing or defending a player this will have an impact on his performance of accepting poor performances.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 8:55am

Is it the players?

True we don't know what goes on behind closed doors (though Ross has admitted to being more 'cuddly' in his second stint), but there are certain things we can see.

Obvious issues not being addressed or improved on and selection integrity are two big ones.

Go back and look at some of the quotes from Ross in 2008 after dropping Milne and Dal Santo, look at the reasons he gave, look at the trajectory of the team that season before and after. Can't say that's the kind of feeling I get from Ross or the club lately.

Personally I would also like to see more 'straight talking' from the club in the media too. They don't have to go as far as "pathetic Pittman", but look how that worked out for Adelaide too...