Matchday Thread-Saints v Power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GSG
Club Player

Re: Matchday Thread-Saints v Power

sks023 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 4:40pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 4:36pm Perfect result
That’ll do
you are a DISGRACE
:lol: Spot on Teflon. People here were happy that we “only” lost by 20 points to Brisbane. The must be very happy to lose by just 2 points.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 5:41pm I know it is only his second game, and he has plenty of work to do , but the early signs are very good for Arie Schoenmaker . He has a beautiful left foot as we can all see, but also seems to use it more judiciously than , say , Riley Bonner.

I also continue to be impressed by Mason Wood’s renaissance as a Saint, after a very patchy career at North. He has a great tank , well- suited for the wing, but also is a strong mark and thus a threat up forward .
Arie has a lethal boot but the majority of times today he used it to only kick short across the ground

They should be using his kick to break lines .... not even sure he took one kick out

Also he's no Usain Bolt .... though a few solid pre-seasona will see him in better shape ..... thats if Tassie don't poach him of course

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 5:56pm Dow 7 disposals
Wilson 7
Owens 9
Windhager 10
Clark 14

Not good enough

For all his knockers even King had it 10 times

How many times did Dow go in for a center bounce?

What the hell is happening here given his contested/clearance work is supposed to be a strength?
Looks like we're tanking to me. We aren't interested in getting first use out of the centre.

We aren't interested in our efficiency getting the footy inside 50. We aren't interested in getting big scores.

Obviously ....it's the messiah's strategy to retain our best players and to attract free agents

shrodes
SS Life Member

Wilson 7
Owens 9
Windhager 10
Clark 14

Not good enough

What the hell is happening here given his contested/clearance work is supposed to be a strength?
Centre bounce attendance %

Windhager 95%
Steele 85%
Campbell 50%
Marshall 50%
Dow 45%
Clark 35%
Henry 25%
Sinclair 10%
Owens 5%

Dow played less time on ground than Todd Marshall who was subbed off in Q3. I don't really understand his usage so far this season

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 6:12pm
sks023 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 4:40pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 4:36pm Perfect result
That’ll do
you are a DISGRACE
:lol: Spot on Teflon. People here were happy that we “only” lost by 20 points to Brisbane. The must be very happy to lose by just 2 points.
Yep I’ve said it for a while
We aren’t getting a FA saviour it’s just BS
The only way to improve is to draft well
We’ll get a good pick this year - maybe 2 IF Hawks offer Battle silly money
Today a step in the right direction
No need to panic

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 6:23pm
Wilson 7
Owens 9
Windhager 10
Clark 14

Not good enough

Centre bounce attendance %

Windhager 95%
Steele 85%
Campbell 50%
Marshall 50%
Dow 45%
Clark 35%
Henry 25%
Sinclair 10%
Owens 5%

Dow played less time on ground than Todd Marshall who was subbed off in Q3. I don't really understand his usage so far this season
Dow not at his best has carried a foot injury coach said it in presser
Midfield is 2nd rate
Sone diligent drafting with high picks will help us

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Pou with 29 & 2 today may see him back in

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 4:46pm For the first time I concede king is a bust
I feel sorry for him. The club and coach need to take some of the responsibility for the way he's currently playing

His brother is flourishing so you have to wonder what might have been if Max was playing for a different club. Max was obviously the twin that most people saw as the better talent

I think Max would be a different player in a better environment. And.. that's what is really sad for us as Saints supporters.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Talent doesn’t go away. He is much better than how he’s playing at the moment.

I just wish I knew what was going wrong for him

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 7:24pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 4:46pm For the first time I concede king is a bust
I feel sorry for him. The club and coach need to take some of the responsibility for the way he's currently playing

His brother is flourishing so you have to wonder what might have been if Max was playing for a different club. Max was obviously the twin that most people saw as the better talent

I think Max would be a different player in a better environment. And.. that's what is really sad for us as Saints supporters.
I don’t think the fact that they are brothers should be used to mirror their capabilities
And blaming The Club for Max not coming along is also a long bow. Max needs a dose of harden the f*** up and some time in the twos.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 7:27pm Talent doesn’t go away. He is much better than how he’s playing at the moment.

I just wish I knew what was going wrong for him
Perhaps - a midfield legend as a forwards coach
Perhaps - not being allowed to speak to a goal kicking legend (LLoyd)
Perhaps - not being given accurate and effective delivery
Perhaps - a F@rking BORING game style

I would be less than enthused if I was a Brain Surgeon being asked to diagnose pimples.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 6:27pm
Dow not at his best has carried a foot injury coach said it in presser
That's a rubbish excuse.

If Dow got 20 touches, Lyon wouldn't have said anything

If he's carrying an 'injury' he shouldn't be selected.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 7:29pm

I don’t think the fact that they are brothers should be used to mirror their capabilities
And blaming The Club for Max not coming along is also a long bow. Max needs a dose of harden the f*** up and some time in the twos.
C'mon Firey. It's not all on Max

You can't absolve responsibility when one of our key pillars is having a form slump.

The club and coaches need to be just as accountable as individuals

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

King's physical presence is rock bottom

He is easily knocked over ... pushed out of the way .... blocked.... and he doesn't know how to or wants to work through it

He also refuses to play in front or just cedes that position too easily because he gets bullied out of it

In front on the lead he is practically unbeatable but currently once in a blue moon he finds himself in that position or when he does we don't find him

In his favor though I am not sure he gets a lot of help from his forward teammates in blocking and helping him get free as they seem all too busy trying to kick goals themselves

Forwardline at the moment is a cesspit of individuality and is as much of a concern as our non-existent mid field

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 7:42pm King's physical presence is rock bottom

He is easily knocked over ... pushed out of the way .... blocked.... and he doesn't know how to or wants to work through it

He also refuses to play in front or just cedes that position too easily because he gets bullied out of it

In front on the lead he is practically unbeatable but currently once in a blue moon he finds himself in that position or when he does we don't find him

In his favor though I am not sure he gets a lot of help from his forward teammates in blocking and helping him get free as they seem all too busy trying to kick goals themselves

Forwardline at the moment is a cesspit of individuality and is as much of a concern as our non-existent mid field
He is not stupid - but maybe he needs a forward to teach a forward.

At Geelong he would have learned from Cameron and Hawkins - at St Kilda - a midfield legend.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

King is playing like a baby giraffe... maybe someone should tell him that

As I said he needs a massive pre-season both in the gym and on the track .... he needs hard love and needs to be flogged and pushed because is talent alone isn't cutting it

Time for the baby giraffe to become a bull

saintbob
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 3:26pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 3:20pm Is there a more insipid key forward in the competition than our very own, Max King!!!

Get the fucker off the ground, his first, second and if he even bothers with a third effort are all putrid.
I've learnt something today

The word fucker isn't picked up by the swear filter :mrgreen:
Yep me too!! 🤦‍♂️

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why didn't we go hard for Mabior Chol when he was looking for more opportunity when he was a Richmond player?

Would have been great for Rowan Marshall as well as Max King?

The other big stuff up from our club was letting Josh Bruce walk to the Dogs when Max was only 19 or 20

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coast suck big time. No finals appearances to speak of. We have played three finals series since they started. This is not on the club at all, except for our drafting which has led us to have a sub par midfield.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 8:00pm

Gold Coast suck big time. No finals appearances to speak of. We have played three finals series since they started. This is not on the club at all, except for our drafting which has led us to have a sub par midfield.
Is that your measure of success - making the finals?

Why don’t you compare our club with all the other clubs who have been around for much longer? Why compare us against only the Gold Coast?

Better still. Come talk to me in 10 years time

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I certainly don't think just playing finals is the ultimate benchmark for success - a premiership is. In fact, in support of the point you were making, Port Adelaide have certainly been a far superior team to us over the past decade, but since 2015 have only won a single final more than we have.
And nobody can argue that against almost any metric, against our fellow foundation clubs we would compare less than favorably, except longevity of course. I still like the fact that our club has stayed in Melbourne and hasn't had to merge or go interstate.

I was at the game today and despite the players' effort which was there, I was very critical of how St Kilda played to the script yet again against Port, and a check of my previous posts will provide evidence of my disillusionment with past player development at the club. However, as much as today totally sucked to be at, I do think we are on the right track. A coach with experience and a good young core of players U21, combined with the inevitable close losses and shutting down the way other teams like to play is a key plank in impacting games. The Saints finally raising the inequalities with drafting and recruiting with the AFL both in conferences and publicly in the media is another step in the right direction and I think it is high time we have advocates for the club in positions of responsibility, because we need to speak up for our own self-interest and possibly, long term survival.

I raised the Suns because you mentioned Bing - that's who he plays for. Ming has finals experience, while Bing has not. I reckon Bing would love to have had some of Ming's experiences if we could ask him.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 30 Jun 2024 9:18pm, edited 4 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Killa
Club Player

No doubt King had a nightmare game today - just nothing went right for him

Even when you have such days - which is the fact for everyone - the first thing you respond with is to have an impact by endeavour, so you keep trying

King today was being rag dolled therefore losing his feet and ineffectual in forcing a contest

And this appeared to impact his confidence

There appears no doubt he is trying but it is just not translating to impact

Taking contested marks as a forward with 1 or 2 or 3 defenders hanging off you is the life of forwards - it ain’t easy

The next response is to impact but when you are being rag dolled out of the contest and are losing your feet you become a liability

No doubt the Coaches have an issue before them and they will resolve accordingly

The questions from today is his physical well being so shoulder and knee and physical wellbeing impacting on mental wellbeing

It will take just one performance

So you work with him and back him in

Killa
Club Player

Remember that even Lockett had nightmare days - and sometimes slotted someone out of frustration then missing weeks

We are human beings - not robots

All we can do is persevere with effort

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2024 4:50pm SEN were commentating like we were in front. Cornes even thought we would go on and win.
Frustrating game.
It was very obvious at the ground that Port had stopped and we were all over them. As usual, our lack of skills and any clue about how to score put paid to that.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SinCitySainter
Club Player

The issue I have is I wonder if he is playing how he is being told to? Is he being told to stay within the 50 m arc and be there to contest. He is doing that constantly and is ineffective at it as he just physically not the gorilla forward type. I find it hard to believe that he is being instructed to lead and present all the time and just refusing to do it. If he is then why has he not been dropped for refusing to follow coach's instructions?