Anyone have any intel?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

Re: Anyone have any intel?

bakes wrote: Tue 25 Jun 2024 8:38pm Marshall has currency, and funnily enough, when Campbell was in the ruck out midfielders seemed more assured. Wouldn’t be the worst idea to cash in if he wants out. There’s an opinion from many that ruckman are the most overrated position.

That view is by people who do not play in the ruck.
The ruckmen take a lot of the hits around the ground often putting themselves in the firing line for the mids or forwards. And when the game is on the line often its the ruckman down back who is taking the big marks or crashing packs to help out or going up forward to take a mark and kick a goal.
I know its where I played most of my footy but let me say I was not a great player.

Michal Jordan used to give Luc Longley a hard time saying he didn't do enough rebounding or scoring.
When Longley was out injured Jordan got pounded and was having a difficult time when Longley returned Jorden told him how much he was missed with his on ball and off ball screens and had a new found respect for him.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If Marshall is unhappy it's probably because his dump kicks from a ruck contest aren't earning him rave reviews.

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 25 Jun 2024 6:42pm Tom Morris is a smug flog

Plays for South Caulfield and is a wanker

Claim to fame
Scored a double hundred last season - against a bottom of the ladder team who were all on a bucks the night before
South were 0/400 odd.

Marshall is a required player! What other fkn ruckman do we have. LDU would be nice, but not at the cost of our most required player, probably our best player!
Agree

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Dump kicks?

Question
How many kicks out of stoppage or CB are 100% effective?

Ie/ scores from stoppage?!

There is about 80 odd stoppages per game - teams normally generate 2-8 scores from stoppage

Point is - a lot of kicks from stoppage are under pressure.

Another point
Is a dump kick only ever marked by opposition?
If we equalise numbers in front of the ball it statistically should be 50/50

St Dave
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2024 10:28pm Dump kicks?

Question
How many kicks out of stoppage or CB are 100% effective?

Ie/ scores from stoppage?!

There is about 80 odd stoppages per game - teams normally generate 2-8 scores from stoppage

Point is - a lot of kicks from stoppage are under pressure.

Another point
Is a dump kick only ever marked by opposition?
If we equalise numbers in front of the ball it statistically should be 50/50
I know Rowan can do no wrong in your eyes b.m but maybe actually look at the stats and engage on that front rather than pulling numbers out of nowhere. Even by your made up numbers, there is a big difference between 2 scores (say 1.1.7) and 8 scores (say 4.4.28). 21 points is more than enough to swing a game.

Here is a great place for stats: https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats ... ?year=2024
It shows we are the second worst team for scores from stoppages, forth word the shots per inside 50 and also second worst for goals per inside 50. And second worst on almost all the ruck stats. All up a pretty clear deficiency in our game. If you need help interpreting just sing out. And maybe let's take it back to the thread on rucking issues of you want to actually engage on the topic?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Of course he can make errors

Hasn’t been a player in history that hasn’t

I think he’s a gun though - if he’s not our best player, he’s definitely our most important

IMO a top 4 ruckman in the AFL

saynta
Saintsational Legend

That he was unhappy was news to him. Said he is not going anywhere.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2024 2:06pm That he was unhappy was news to him. Said he is not going anywhere.
I enjoyed watching Ross single out the journalists who ran the story.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well apparently Tom Morris knows best because he's a flog!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Dave
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2024 3:45pm
saynta wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2024 2:06pm That he was unhappy was news to him. Said he is not going anywhere.
That was good to hear, though I wouldn't expect Ross to come out and say 'oh yeah Rowan isn't feeling committed'.

It was also interesting Ross said that Rowan was 'feeling uncomfortable' and 'didn't really like it'. Is that because the rumor was bs? Or because it was supposed to be on the dl between Rowan and his agent for his agent to get feelers out and someone blabbed?

I was thinking initially that the agent might have been the direct leak, but now I think it could have been rival clubs that the agent was shopping him around to. The agent is going around asking what other clubs might be able to offer to get Rowan out and those clubs ask why Rowan is flirting with leaving and then they leak to destabilize us and try to drive a wedge between Rowan and the club.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2024 4:31pm
Beno88 wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2024 3:45pm
That was good to hear, though I wouldn't expect Ross to come out and say 'oh yeah Rowan isn't feeling committed'.

It was also interesting Ross said that Rowan was 'feeling uncomfortable' and 'didn't really like it'. Is that because the rumor was bs? Or because it was supposed to be on the dl between Rowan and his agent for his agent to get feelers out and someone blabbed?

I was thinking initially that the agent might have been the direct leak, but now I think it could have been rival clubs that the agent was shopping him around to. The agent is going around asking what other clubs might be able to offer to get Rowan out and those clubs ask why Rowan is flirting with leaving and then they leak to destabilize us and try to drive a wedge between Rowan and the club.
Yes, seems the agent fishing set it all off. They really are pieces of work. Imagine having to deal with them.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Love RTB presser work - just pure gold
Sticking it to the gutter journos and then whacking the AFL academy handouts!!
Him and Bassat are absolutely on the sane page
Finally our club has some balls..
Noice 👍

“Yeah….nah””