Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Umpires

If anyone was watching the GWS vs Sydney match, there was an incident with less than one minute left on the clock until the final siren.

Jesse Hogan was awarded a free kick on the goal line, virtually at the point directly in front of one of the goal posts. The free kick was for deliberately running the footy over the line.

Tom McCartin had an opportunity to dispose of it but made no attempt prior to a GWS player putting any pressure on him. When the GWS player got close to Tom (without touching Tom) McCartin decided to walk it over the line

I believe it was the right call. But what came next was very unusual...and very funny

The umpire (#28 Cameron Dore) asked Hogan to go back and he tried to line him up so that Jesse was on the boundary line next to the behind post and virtually on an impossible angle.

In other words...if Jesse Hogan tried to kick a traditional drop punt, the footy would have cannoned into the point post

I think Dore needs to brush up on his geometry. Or at best, there needs to be better education to the umpires on the angle required, depending on where an offense like this has been made

E.g. if a defender walks the footy over the line right in the centre of the goals, the kick would be directly in front with zero angle. If it's done at the junction of the goal and behind post, I think the angle should be at 45 degrees.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires

Laura Kane is ruining AFL.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2024 1:27pm Laura Kane is ruining AFL.
I’m no fan of Kane, but I don’t see how she is responsible for this.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

It was an awful series of events.

The rule is terrible. It should never cost a goal for giving away a score.
At worst, the ball should be balled up at the top of the square.

It was an awful decision. McCartin was always under pressure and well within the 9m at all times. He is allowed to rush the ball through in those circumstances.
Imagine that being paid at the same stage of the match in a close game in September! Against Collingwood! It would never be paid in that scenario.

The umpire then compounded the error by buggering up the angle.

All round bad umpiring.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The game is almost unrecognisable

From an umpiring standpoint

They are bringing in ridiculous rules as a knee jerk reaction to injuries
Comment on Dangerfield
What should he have done?
Answer
He should have released the tackle

In what world do you half tackle someone and let them go

It goes against any instinct as a player

Kids at local footy are now banging their head into the ground on purpose to get free kicks

St Dave
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 22 Jun 2024 8:46pm If anyone was watching the GWS vs Sydney match, there was an incident with less than one minute left on the clock until the final siren.

Jesse Hogan was awarded a free kick on the goal line, virtually at the point directly in front of one of the goal posts. The free kick was for deliberately running the footy over the line.

Tom McCartin had an opportunity to dispose of it but made no attempt prior to a GWS player putting any pressure on him. When the GWS player got close to Tom (without touching Tom) McCartin decided to walk it over the line

I believe it was the right call. But what came next was very unusual...and very funny

The umpire (#28 Cameron Dore) asked Hogan to go back and he tried to line him up so that Jesse was on the boundary line next to the behind post and virtually on an impossible angle.

In other words...if Jesse Hogan tried to kick a traditional drop punt, the footy would have cannoned into the point post

I think Dore needs to brush up on his geometry. Or at best, there needs to be better education to the umpires on the angle required, depending on where an offense like this has been made

E.g. if a defender walks the footy over the line right in the centre of the goals, the kick would be directly in front with zero angle. If it's done at the junction of the goal and behind post, I think the angle should be at 45 degrees.
Where was the ball rushed behind? In the goal or point posts? I believe the free gets marked on a line between the center of the goal and the infringement point, so if it was rushed outside the goal square that would leave you on a pretty tight angle.

The calling of a few at all is weird because I thought it was allowed under pressure, but does prior opportunity impact that?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2024 7:10pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 22 Jun 2024 8:46pm If anyone was watching the GWS vs Sydney match, there was an incident with less than one minute left on the clock until the final siren.

Where was the ball rushed behind? In the goal or point posts? I believe the free gets marked on a line between the center of the goal and the infringement point, so if it was rushed outside the goal square that would leave you on a pretty tight angle.

The calling of a few at all is weird because I thought it was allowed under pressure, but does prior opportunity impact that?
Yes. Prior opportunity does impact

Tom walked it over the line through the behinds, but it was adjacent to the goal post, so my belief is that the angle should have been closer to 45 degrees rather than 90 degrees

King Max
Club Player

It has to be in line with where the infringement occurs and the centre of the goal. Which means 90 degrees. So I'm not sure why people are saying the umpires got the angle wrong.

There were a few weeks at the start of 2009 where nobody knew about the exception for being under pressure and the footy looked so much better when players near the goal line couldn't just rush it over.