AFL General Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL General Discussion

Dees have dropped Billings. End is near.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL General Discussion

I think Geelong's issues are deep and they're looking at the end of an era for sure. They relied on a powerful midfield and strengths all over the ground.

Teams know now that they can match the 2024 Geelong midfield and they can beat them, so that isn't opposition teams main concern

One of their main strengths the last 5 years was their ability to generate attack from their back 50. Corey Enright used to that for them as a player for over a decade and he passed on his knowledge to Tom Stewart.

Tom Stewart is a bloke who reminds me of Jake Carlisle in the way that Carlisle used to guard space and sag off his man just waiting to intercept.

The competition has realised how important Stewart is to Geelong's game plan and he's lost now that he needs to actually defend.

Just wanted to make 2 points on him. Firstly, the impact Boris had on him and secondly how overrated some of his stats were in both 2022 and 2023.

Stewart joined Geelong in 2017. Same year that Corey Enright joined the coaching squad at Geelong. Enright was the development coach in 2017 and then became an assistant coach from 2018-2021.

In 2022 and 2023 Stewart earnt AA blazers but I think he was over rated...maybe they based their views on his reputation from previous seasons

Not saying he's not a good footballer, but it's easy to rack up cheap possessions kicking out from full back, and playing as in intercept rebounder, while relying on your team mates to do the heavy work of actually defending.

In his games this year his contested disposal numbers have dropped right off. He's taking less intercept marks because he's worrying about an actual opponent. It's really clear how too many in the media overrated Stewart the last two years.