Ross Lyon tactics

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon tactics

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:07pm Seems to me that some coaches figure out a way through this RTB’s plan and some don’t. When they figure it out… we tend to look pretty bad.

That said… I thought RTB put on a master class on Saturday night
Only lost three games by over 4 goals since the man took over. And it looks as if the boys just might be turning a corner. I don't expect us to make finals or even win more than 9 or 10 games this year, but there are plenty of sides dishing up some pretty ordinary performances. To be honest I think we really need to hit the draft hard this year and next, to bolster the midfield, grab a forward to play CHF, and a Full Back.

I would like us to win a couple of games by 70 points plus in the back half just to let the Mighties off the leash, kick 20 goals a couple of times, but we'll see.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Closest we got to kicking 20 goals was end of last year in a shoot out at Marvel with Hawthorn.

19-8 to 14-9. We won.

It was Round 20 and interestingly, Max King was out injured.

Several avenues to goal. Our forwards fired up and Butler kicked 4, Sharman, Caminiti and Higgins all kicked 2. Gresham (also playing as a forward) kicked 1 and...

Just for something different, our mids were used as goal kicking targets. including Marshall who kicked 1, Wood 1 and Crouch 3.

Even Hunter Clark, Nasiah Wanganeen-Millera and Zaine Cordy kicked a goal each. I'm pretty sure Zaine was playing in the backline filling in for Dougal Howard, so that shows what can happen when players get creative.

One of the most enjoyable Saints games from last year. Maybe Hawthorn were tanking...who knows. It was one of those games where the team got to show some flair.

This year we've played a more dour style. Ended up kicking 14 goals in Round 2. We were behind considerably on the scoreboard against Collingwood early in that game (I remember Wood getting concussed and thinking it would help us regroup) so we had no choice but to play an attacking game.

The other game where we looked good in patches was against North Melbourne where we kicked 15 goals 13 behinds for our only score over 100 for the year. Interestingly, Max King had only 1 shot on goal for 1 goal for the day

Templar
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 9:39pm I don't expect us to make finals..
I do. It's a long season and we are only three games out of the eight. You want to be coming into form the other end anyway. Our injury list is nothing like it has been for past 18 months and other clubs are copping their fair whack. And our players pilloried to post by every man and his dog have nothing to lose.And I reckon they're starting to get a sniff.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 9:39pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:07pm Seems to me that some coaches figure out a way through this RTB’s plan and some don’t. When they figure it out… we tend to look pretty bad.

That said… I thought RTB put on a master class on Saturday night
Only lost three games by over 4 goals since the man took over. And it looks as if the boys just might be turning a corner. I don't expect us to make finals or even win more than 9 or 10 games this year, but there are plenty of sides dishing up some pretty ordinary performances. To be honest I think we really need to hit the draft hard this year and next, to bolster the midfield, grab a forward to play CHF, and a Full Back.

I would like us to win a couple of games by 70 points plus in the back half just to let the Mighties off the leash, kick 20 goals a couple of times, but we'll see.
I agree
I’m not interested at all in scraping into 8 just to be bundled out for “experience “ first weeks
Bollocks to that
We need elite talent one of the only key avenues open to us (where we’ve built from before) is to draft it
I also agree that we won’t get all we need this year though I’m praying an LDU FA offer nets us a gun on top of draft picks…
I think Lyon has used this year to be school a team in defence but he knows it’s a fair overhaul of some key pieces needed

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 11:52pm
I do. It's a long season and we are only three games out of the eight. You want to be coming into form the other end anyway. Our injury list is nothing like it has been for past 18 months and other clubs are copping their fair whack. And our players pilloried to post by every man and his dog have nothing to lose.And I reckon they're starting to get a sniff.
I see no benefit with Tassie on the horizon at all
Don’t buy the “kids will learn so much getting toweled up by GWS …”

“Yeah….nah””
nefron55
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 10:38pm This year we've played a more dour style. Ended up kicking 14 goals in Round 2. We were behind considerably on the scoreboard against Collingwood early in that game (I remember Wood getting concussed and thinking it would help us regroup) so we had no choice but to play an attacking game.

The other game where we looked good in patches was against North Melbourne where we kicked 15 goals 13 behinds for our only score over 100 for the year. Interestingly, Max King had only 1 shot on goal for 1 goal for the day
I hate to keep being this guy Scollop but I'm just not sure you could describe a 13 point deficit as "behind considerably on the scoreboard" -- certainly not a big enough margin to force us into an entirely new attacking gameplan.

It feels a little disingenuous to take our best performance of the year and declare we were forced into playing well because we were down by 13 points in the first quarter.

Also, comparing the performance vs Collingwood to the performance on the weekend vs GC --

1. More inside 50s v GC
2. More time in forward half vs GC
3. More uncontested possessions vs Collingwood
4. More uncontested marks vs Collingwood

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Nefron for President.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nefron55 wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 5:02am
Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 10:38pm This year we've played a more dour style. Ended up kicking 14 goals in Round 2. We were behind considerably on the scoreboard against Collingwood early in that game (I remember Wood getting concussed and thinking it would help us regroup) so we had no choice but to play an attacking game.

I hate to keep being this guy Scollop but I'm just not sure you could describe a 13 point deficit as "behind considerably on the scoreboard" -- certainly not a big enough margin to force us into an entirely new attacking gameplan.

It feels a little disingenuous to take our best performance of the year and declare we were forced into playing well because we were down by 13 points in the first quarter.

Also, comparing the performance vs Collingwood to the performance on the weekend vs GC --

1. More inside 50s v GC
2. More time in forward half vs GC
3. More uncontested possessions vs Collingwood
4. More uncontested marks vs Collingwood
So you're looking for balance are you?

It's well known that I'm not a fan of Ross Lyon but I thought the coaches (plural) did a good job against Gold Coast. Considering our recent form...they actually did a great job.

I said so in countless posts over the last 3 days.

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 5#p2065155

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 2#p2065182

I didn't mention 'game plan' for the game against Collingwood. You're interpreting that entirely on your own. I just said we were behind on the scoreboard. It's fact. I certainly didn't denigrate the win.

I didn't say that Collingwood were still suffering from their premiership hangover. I didn't say that they took a while to find form and we were lucky to be playing them early in the year. I didn't say that the free kick count was 30 to 16 in our favour.

What irritates me is the narrative that when we win, it's because of the senior coach and when we lose it's because of the players.

Funny...and strange that the "In Ross we trust Brigade" were saying the exact opposite when Ratts was coach.

I don't hate Ross Lyon. I just hate the messiah worship from some people who bombard the forum with hate towards our players...with constant scapegoating of players during and after losses...with derogatory language towards individual players...and the call for Steele to lose the captaincy...for wholesale changes to be made...and for apologists trying to justify every decision made by RtB and match committee.

We can't go back in time, so as a Saints member and supporter of the St Kilda FC, I want Ross Lyon to succeed. Wish some dumb people would get that through their thick skulls

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s just the facts firey

Is it not true

That we can’t score?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 7:04pm It’s just the facts firey

Is it not true

That we can’t score?
It’s painfully obvious.
But are you in some sort of an echo chamber?

Do you think RTB realises the poor forward efficiency? Do you you think he is trying to turn that around or is he totally bereft of any footy nous ?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If he is such a guru Firey

Why is his team performing so poorly

And CANT he make changes to fix the issues - not just personnel but also game style

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 8:55pm If he is such a guru Firey

And CANT he make changes to fix the issues - not just personnel but also game style
Lyon also needs a bit more selection integrity.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 8:58pm
B.M wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 8:55pm If he is such a guru Firey

Lyon also needs a bit more selection integrity.
What’s the term for a group of muppets? A gaggle?
Anyway , Schoey in this week love that RTB is driving the kids agenda
He knows it’s not now
BM why don’t you go down to training just square ole Ross up with your wisdom and tell him
“Team are shyte Ross….why haven’t you clicked your magic fingers and fixed it???? “
Utter dross

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Teffers

Least my heads not up his arse

It is true
If you know nothing you need to be a follower

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What’s that Marty ??? More pissin n moaning???
Can’t hear ya bud
Foe time👊

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Great nick btw and love the stickman figure - takes me back to the late '70s at Moorabbin!

I expected and wanted us to make finals again this season, but beating North, the Eagles and the Suns, and failing to do so comprehensively, combined with our honorable loss last night, draws me even more definite to the conclusion that we won't make the final eight this season.

After the bye, we play every game, bar one, at home, but cannot see us beating Port or the Swans in the next two matches. And then after those very tough games, we venture to Adelaide to play the Crows over there; a team we've only beaten twice in over ten years and who will be desperate. That one is winnable this year, but I wouldn't bank on it.

For me, I would just like to see us remain consistent in our application and to be competitive in every game we play, and when we play the Eagles, Richmond and Geelong on our home deck, that we play the full four quarters and win all of them comprehensively, in the 60 points range (maybe a couple by 75 points +). Then grab the best possible midfielder we can in the draft and try to get our next 200 gamer full back.

So, yeah, if we can add those three wins to our current five, and potentially pinch the game in Adelaide, that would bring us to eight/nine wins for the season and a bottom four finish.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 10:38pm
The other game where we looked good in patches was against North Melbourne where we kicked 15 goals 13 behinds for our only score over 100 for the year.
Not any more 8-)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 11:46am Teffers

Least my heads not up his arse

It is true
If you know nothing you need to be a follower
Your heads too far up your own ass for that…

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe 🤔

But at least I post my own thoughts

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2024 11:50am
Great nick btw and love the stickman figure - takes me back to the late '70s at Moorabbin!

I expected and wanted us to make finals again this season, but beating North, the Eagles and the Suns, and failing to do so comprehensively, combined with our honorable loss last night, draws me even more definite to the conclusion that we won't make the final eight this season.

After the bye, we play every game, bar one, at home, but cannot see us beating Port or the Swans in the next two matches. And then after those very tough games, we venture to Adelaide to play the Crows over there; a team we've only beaten twice in over ten years and who will be desperate. That one is winnable this year, but I wouldn't bank on it.

For me, I would just like to see us remain consistent in our application and to be competitive in every game we play, and when we play the Eagles, Richmond and Geelong on our home deck, that we play the full four quarters and win all of them comprehensively, in the 60 points range (maybe a couple by 75 points +). Then grab the best possible midfielder we can in the draft and try to get our next 200 gamer full back.

So, yeah, if we can add those three wins to our current five, and potentially pinch the game in Adelaide, that would bring us to eight/nine wins for the season and a bottom four finish.
Yep
It’s about kids now
W/L column irrelevant
It’s looking at our development understanding our gaps and seeing what we need to do to fill those with more class
I’m very confident the club know the way forward- more than I have been for years
Last night showed the “game plan” is fine, can score when we execute especially break even in midfield
Now just imagine what a dominant midfield would do …
What was again clear last - has been all year - we lack outside spread/speed from congestion
Henry played mid last …we were far more dynamic Ross noted that in his presser too
Was interesting Ross’s take in presser …he won’t give a toss we kicked 100 points….knowing we gave up 19 goals the other way …
It’s a balance
Swabs can shift gear mid game their on field leaders and skill set allows it
We aspire to that

“Yeah….nah””