Who is our "enforcer?'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Who is our "enforcer?'

One thing our club has always been notorious for is the "enforcer" type of player. From Ditterich, Sarau and O'Dea in the 70's, Cunningham, Burns
Spud and a young Plugger in the 80's and 90s, with Baker , Hayes and Hamill in the noughties the last of the breed.

We haven't had a player who strikes fear into opposition players, while making our own walk taller, for quite some time.

I raise this with particular reference to the treatment of Max King. I often keep an eye on Max when watching the game live at Marvel. I'm sick and tired of watching him get wrestled and held off the ball, blocked and impeded while trying to lead and being double and triple teamed. It was about time he got that free against GCS that won the game. It was there (take note, Hardwick).

He cops plenty of stick on this site, but I believe a great deal of his frustration comes from the way he is manhandled. This is what causes his sometimes poor body language and attitude.

He's not got Plugger's menacing presence, nor physically threatening demeanor, and he is lacking a partner up forward who can genuinely worry the opposition, both with playing prowess and being a physical threat.

The last such player we had who fits the bill was Aaron Hamill. Imagine him lurking near Max and dishing out a few well timed bumps. The man could play a bit as well.

Max is a one man show atm. He desperately needs someone up there to take some of the heat while dishing out some heat of his own. Scoring the odd goal as well would top things off nicely.

Who have we got who could fill that role? The obvious choice would seem to be Caminitti, but that doesn't seem to be working. He may eventually become that player, but he's a long way from that at the moment.

My other candidate is Jack Hayes, but injuries might end his career. Mitchito seems to be the ideal. Can get the pill, needs plenty of attention from the opposition, and has the strength and vigour to take care of the physicality aspect.

Has anyone else got their own nomination? Do we have to look elsewhere? Thoughts?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Who is our "enforcer?'

Maybe get Campbell in to play CHF being instructed to bump and bully oppo defenders first and foremost.
Distract them each time the ball looks like coming in.

I see a lot of niggle from Higgo but he's hardly Hulk Hogan

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Rubyjo
Club Player

An old fashioned enforcer would be rubbed out very quickly .

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 5:26am An old fashioned enforcer would be rubbed out very quickly .
I agree. There aren’t many physically-intimidating players left in the league. Stephen May to a certain extent. Maynard: but he is living on borrowed time, and will be rubbed out for a long spell next time he transgresses.

Even a big strong player like Hawkins is more inclined to play for a free kick than to try to shove his opponent out of the way. Players are now highly skilled at performing swan dives after minimal (or no) contact, so any sort of bump is risky. It’s annoying, but it’s the modern game.

The game today is no longer primarily about contests but about rapid ball movement to players who are in the clear. King needs to find a way of avoiding physical contests and getting into the clear. It would help if the coaches could get the forward structure right and/or King’s colleagues start running to the right spots.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

No such thing in modern footy, what was a fair bump 20 years ago will now get you 4 weeks.

Ben Long was the closest thing we’ve had in the last few seasons who would have been likely to hurt an opponent.

Plenty of tough players who don’t take a backward step including Webster, Steel, Battle, Wilkie, Sinclair, Crouch, Winhager.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 7:22am Plenty of tough players who don’t take a backward step including Webster, Steel, Battle, Wilkie, Sinclair, Crouch, Winhager.
A couple of those are the modern equivalents. As close as you’ll get to enforcers.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Stocker - but he's at the wrong end of the ground.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Dan Butler

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think those enforcer days are back in the '60s and '70s. I do think the we lack a bit of strength in the middle size players we have- they don't quite impact contests.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 5:26am An old fashioned enforcer would be rubbed out very quickly .
Unless he plays for Collingwood.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

On Saintsaitional?

That’s me punks.

Judge
Jury
Executioner

:lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Don't we call 'enforcers' for other teams 'thugs'?

And Max King is well and truly big enough to look after himself.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You need an enforcer and you need to be physical. You can still do it, within the rules...and if it means $20,000 in fines, then so be it. Better than letting your opponent think that you can be intimidated....And better than letting a lack of physicality cost you a win.

When there is no physical intimidation coming from us...you can bet your bottom dollar that the opposition will sniff blood and take advantage

One of the most insipid displays of 'standing up for your team mate' that I've ever witnessed was the lack of ANY retaliation when Hunter Clark was bulldozed by the Adelaide player a few years back in that game up in Cairns.

The two players closest to the frightening collision were Brad Hill and Jack Billings. They watched their team mate being shirtfronted and literally 'taken out' of the game and did nothing.

Obviously, all the players on field had a responsibility to stand up for their team mate. They did nothing. What's worse is that we were 5 goals up and Adelaide hadn't scored a goal up until that stage.

We ended up losing a game that should have been unlosable

darylcowie
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 9:53am Dan Butler
I see your Dan Butler and I'll raise you a Riley Bonner!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 12:35pm
perfectionist wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 9:53am Dan Butler
I see your Dan Butler and I'll raise you a Riley Bonner!
No you are all well off the mark. It's Jack Hayes for certain. and that is why he is sorely missed.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What does an ‘enforcer’ actually do?!

Run around hitting people?

I prefer
Players who can get the ball, and use it well

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Agreed, Rubyjo, and thank goodness. I'm not talking about a thuggish type like Rod Grinter, Glen Archer or Barry Hall. I'm talking about an enforcer who plays within, or on the edge of the rules. It's why I nominated Hamill.

There are plenty of "enforcers" in the sense or context of the modern game. Some on here have suggested Ben Long, but he got suspended too often for some blatantly stupid acts. He's not a good enough player either.

Lenny Hayes was a perfect example. Fraser Gehrig as well. Imagine the G-train in the forward 50 with Max. The G-train and Hamill allowed Roo to develop into the champion he became.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 1:48pm What does an ‘enforcer’ actually do?!

Run around hitting people?

I prefer
Players who can get the ball, and use it well
Read my post slowly and carefully. I'll keep it simple just for you, B.M. A man what plays the game hard but fair. Who attacks the ball with ferocity (sorry that is a big word) and vigour in such a way that makes the opposition think twice.

A player who selflessly blocks for, tackles and protects team mates. That kind of player. Simple enough for you? I never said in my original post I was looking for a thug, or someone who "runs around hitting people." That was the past. I'm looking for a Gehrig, Hamill or Hayes type.

Remember them? They were pretty handy at getting the pill as well as making their team mates walk taller.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 10:42am Don't we call 'enforcers' for other teams 'thugs'?

And Max King is well and truly big enough to look after himself.
The observable evidence would suggest otherwise. He could use some help.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 7:49am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2024 7:22am Plenty of tough players who don’t take a backward step including Webster, Steel, Battle, Wilkie, Sinclair, Crouch, Winhager.
A couple of those are the modern equivalents. As close as you’ll get to enforcers.
Good call. All likely types but are missing the "intimidation factor". I believe Windy and Mitchito are the best candidates we have. Stocker is strong and tough, but isn't quite good enough to really intimidate the opposition with his output.

The other two give me hope. Windy as the Lenny type and Mitchito as Hamill. Webster was that Baker type in defense, but he's just about cooked. Maybe Battle if he doesn't leave.

Fingers crossed he doesn't. We simply can't afford to lose him, both for the position he plays and for the way he plays.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig an enforcer?! 🤣

There is no such thing in footy as an ‘enforcer’

That’s supporter speaks for - I don’t know what the fk I’m talking about!!!

Tough players
I’d say most AFL players are tough, Jack Steele is tough, Marshall is, Battle is, Crouch is, Jones is … actually who isn’t?

What do you call tough?

Hurting, or willing to get hurt?!

And it doesn’t matter how slow you say it, it’s still nonsense

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

So I don't know what I'm talking about, BM? I'll accept your verdict because if anyone on here is an expert on not having a clue about what they themselves are talking about, it has to be you.

I've often deferred from taking apart your nonsensical, contradictory and poorly written posts, but no more. You are clueless and reinforce that notion every time you attempt to write something.

I'm far from alone on this site in holding this opinion on the standard of your posts. I've been amused with some of your "stoushes" with other, more knowledgeable posters.
You are like the poor guy who constantly brings a knife to a gunfight.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Never been the same since Jack Lonie went.

takeaway
Club Player

I can't see the relevance of this thread in the current game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moore's raised knee into the back of Petracca will eventually be outlawed.

Raised knees will be outlawed soon enough but the AFL will need to manufacture media and fan support as it's associated with an iconic part of the games history, specifically aerial marking.

A similar incident to RoMa getting the knee to the head and player having to medically retire will be catalyst.

The stat the AFL dont want us talking about is the fact nearly all head trauma currently happens as a result of legal acts and the stats are constantly rising.

An Enforcer in the modern game is a doctor pulling a player out of a game.