Crab watch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

Re: Crab watch

BM hangs s*** on everything and anyone St Kilda

24/7

What a life!!!!

Just ignore and move on

Another debutant this week and we wish him well for a long and successful career at St Kilda

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 8:36pm
Mr Magic wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 8:31pm
SaintPav wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2024 8:28pm
Mr Magic wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 6:36pm How is paying Melbourne for Billing’s affecting any of our list payments this year?
Battle is under contract for this year at a contracted rate that is not affected by any other payment we make.
My understanding is that the payment to Melbourne will cease next year so it will have no effect on any negotiations with anybody, including Battle.
Besides, I thought the issue with Battle re-signing is one of length of contract rather than money?
Good intel, Philip (?)
Who’s Philip?
You remind me of someone I used to work with. :?

It was a Hail Mary. :wink:
All good, but I’m an Allan and not a Philip😀

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

loris wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 7:06pm
B.M wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 9:11pm I don’t think players get to AFL if they take short steps or consistently shirk contests

In fact I take umbrage at the thought any elite footballer is soft. There are degrees of hardness, that’s positional. But no one who’s got to the elite level is soft. Only people who haven’t played the game at any level would think such a thing.

Nearly everyone has occasionally has a look or pulled out but soft mean you wouldn’t win the footy. He does.

You don’t dominated TAC Cup to the point where you are an AA u18 play for Vic Metro and then get drafted as one of the best 3 juniors in the country if you’re soft.
You don’t get 54 possessions playing in the midfield at State League level if you’re soft
You certainly don’t play 165 AFL games if you’re soft
You don’t finish top 5 in a club B&F if you’re soft
You dont get 11 Brownlow votes in 2 separate seasons.

I think it is a ridiculous thought!
Jamie Cripps says hi 👋 Big Mart, Marto or what ever reincarnation you prefer.

Who dumped on an 18 year old kid, in his first season, miles away from home, learnt he had Type 2 diabetes a few weeks after he started pre-season training at the Saints? Who called him out for taking ‘short steps’ and soft, a skinny 18 year old kid? Reading such posts all those years ago, was the first time I’d heard the term ‘taking short steps’

And if I recollect correctly a ‘sook’ for wanting to return home to the West because of his medical condition. May not have been one of the above nomenclatures for word ‘sook’ but definitely lead the vigilante group on Jamie Crisp, without knowing the behind the scenes story of inept medical staff at the Saints at the time. Saints prepared to let him go for zilch or his parents were taking action.

IMHO even though I haven’t played AFL at a high level as is obviously a pre-requisite for having an opinion on a fan site, I think Jamie Crisp has turned out a more effective & skillful player for his team than Jack Billings has for the Saints over the years.

Just sayin…………..!!!!
And he's a 200 game, premiership player, two things Billings will never have on his resume.

We overlooked Jack Darling for him. Another masterstroke from our "recruiting guru", John Beveridge. We are still paying the price for his "expertise!"

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

See Sidebottom's specy re Dees. JB rocks up just as it's taken. Was ready for the spill that never came. Was unable to assist team mate with a spoil. A metaphor for his career. Looks busy, but....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thought I’d dust off this gem…

Blake Acres - 27 touches v WB. Continuing to shape up as the worst decision of all time.

In that same game, Nick Coffield returned with 15 touches and an all round unspectacular but ok return from injury.

Over at Essendon…
Gresh had 15 touches and no goals whilst Hind I think started as sub and had a handful on touches on the second half in a bad loss to the under manned Dees.
Of note in that same game, Billings has remained banished from the team - AFL app doesn’t say he’s injured.

Ben Long had a more average day with 10 touches and 1.2 for GC in a team that got the job done. 3.0 would have made him the match winner

Cripps kicked a goal from 10 or so possessions and Joyce had 12 touches in a losing effort to Brisbane

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2024 8:24pm Thought I’d dust off this gem…

Blake Acres - 27 touches v WB. Continuing to shape up as the worst decision of all time.

In that same game, Nick Coffield returned with 15 touches and an all round unspectacular but ok return from injury.

Over at Essendon…
Gresh had 15 touches and no goals whilst Hind I think started as sub and had a handful on touches on the second half in a bad loss to the under manned Dees.
Of note in that same game, Billings has remained banished from the team - AFL app doesn’t say he’s injured.

Ben Long had a more average day with 10 touches and 1.2 for GC in a team that got the job done. 3.0 would have made him the match winner

Cripps kicked a goal from 10 or so possessions and Joyce had 12 touches in a losing effort to Brisbane
How lucky is Billings getting paid by two clubs to play VFL.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Several posters (back in March) started mentioning ALL our recent departures and it's still happening

This thread was never meant to be about Acres or Ben Long

I'm offended that people have included these guys in the 'Crab watch' thread

There will only ever be 1 original crab as far as I'm concerned. He's the bloke who runs alongside where the footy is.....and not directly at it

Oh.... he's also getting paid by 2 clubs :mrgreen:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is he the same guy who dominated in the VFL today?

29 possessions
6 clearances
2 goals

For a guy who can’t play footy and is ‘scared’ I’m not sure how he can do that at state league level.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

And is still doing more for his club than Paddy Dow.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2024 9:16pm Is he the same guy who dominated in the VFL today?

29 possessions
6 clearances
2 goals

For a guy who can’t play footy and is ‘scared’ I’m not sure how he can do that at state league level.
What from a a guy who went at pick 3 in the national draft dominating at VFL level 10 years into an AFL career, that is impressive I must say, in actual fact I’ll go as far as to say and getting paid quite handsomely to-boot. I honestly mean this when I say that is very clever on Billing’s behalf, I’m guessing he is already planning his life after AFL and enjoying the ride in the mean time. Good luck to him because the AFL system is brutal but if Jack can exit with a bit of coin and some great mates then I call that great individual success.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why did he go pick 3?

Why has he had a 10 year career?

Why does he average 20ppg as a hf/wing across 165 afl games?

Just because you wanted him to be better, doesn’t mean that he’s had a terrible AFL career or is indeed a poor footballer

He has twice picked up double figure Brownlow votes in a season, has finished top 5 in an AFL team B&F

I know you’d like him to be terrible, to justify your argument
But the fact is
He’s been a reasonable AFL player for a decade, his last few years cruelled by injury to his back

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The challenge for most is that he wasn’t recruited to be or paid as a reasonable footballer.

Few argue that he’s absolutely not/never has been AFL standard.

Most feel/felt that he was elite capability or at least A-Lister potential.

I’d have expected him to be better than Gresh and Higgins. I’d have expected him to be better than Mason Wood. All of them seem less talented but more productive.

Heck I’d take current whipping boy Riley Bonner over him in a heart beat. Works harder, gets to more contests and always gives the effort

Billings should have left all these guys in the dust

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why should he have been better?

Because you wanted him to be?

His draft number?

There are no guarantees in AFL footy

When you walk in the door, everyone starts from the same position day 1 of pre season.

Lachie Neale and Dane Swan were pick 58 in the draft
9 best and Fairests and 3 Brownlows between them