RTB finger on the pulse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: RTB finger on the pulse

nobhead wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:17pm On more than one occasion against GC hill and nas were gesturing to the forwards to lead at them and king and co were behind their opponent
.so they just bombed in ,happens alot and really noticable when you watch them live.another major issue is our forwards getting outmarked and not even halfing the contest to create a stoppage in our fwd 50 .thats half the problem the other problem is our skills not being able to execute basics skills under no pressure when we are moving the ball and untill that all changes we are going to continue to score.its got nothing to do with game plan bur our coaches do have a responsability to get every player on our list to improve their skills to an acceptable afl level.
Good post

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Agree with all of the points you've made, nobhead.

Only part of coaching is game plan and match day magnet moving.

Skills, leadership, practice, mental state, teamwork, connection. Just some of the things that our extended coaching team are responsible for. These are even more important when you have a young and developing list.

What's visible on the field should be a reflection of all of the above.

beebarry
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 1:35pm Hardwick had a trove of talent, playing for a spot, Saints FB goes early, we fluff many chances, Suns hit the front late. Bottom line: we won. Dimma points to an umpiring decision having amnesia about the ride Suns got eg Swallow.
It was a good win.
totally agree. Led at every change, nullified their strengths, put together some nice passages of play and overall looked better than a month ago. Full team effort if not output, stuck to the task, got the win.

No Dimwit you coulda won but you definatley not shoulda won. The Swallow decision and the (IMHO incorrect) cancelling of the Wood goal were just two examples. STFU and take some ownership for your teams performance. I didnt think it was a horrible appalling game at all. Not perfect ...but compare it to 3 weeks ago against Freo. That was appalling ....

So Im happy.
but ..

It was "interesting" to see Adam Simpson self censure on making comments on umpiring, even when the Yeo free was far worse ( again, IMHO - I think it was a high tackle free to Wardlaw a second earlier anyway) ....but Hardwick can say what he likes and the AFL just let it slide, and the umpiring department even signs it off, thus cementing the narrative that the Suns were robbed. We had a mark on the 50 at the moment the King free was called so who can say we may not have goaled anyway.....really pi**ed me off more than it should have....FFS let us enjoy a win rather than just bend the knee to the failed AFL Suns experiment. ,Rant over ...

Killa
Club Player

For all this nonsensical nonsense re Lyon:-

Give him Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins when he last coached St Kilda

And give him Daicos x 2 and Moore currently

The AFL has pandered to media and media romanticism by introducing Father/Son and has polluted the competition accordingly

It has given significant advantage to certain sides versus the rest of the competition

And what about the Clubs which were not in existence when the likes of Moore Senior and Daicos Senior were playing?

There is an order to Drafting (noting you can trade your picks for established players) and there is a Salary Cap

And that should be the end of it

The remainder of what the AFL decrees is just nonsense for media consumption (noting the standard of media which is abysmal in analysis and questioning)

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

RTB takes his finger off the pulse more often than not, then, judging by our wins vs losses.

We have talented players like Hill, Wilkie, Battle, Nas, Clark, King, Wood, Sinclair, Windhager, Steele ... when the wins come, they are largely as a result of the abilities and efforts of these players. We've added Dow, Bonner who are keeping regular past players out of the side, such as Paton, Byrnes.

There's also the area of development .. Owens, Phillipou, Caminiti, Sharman, Byrnes ... our young players have been treading water, they haven't taken the next step.

Also, our forward efficiency hasn't improved under Lyon.

We need to take off our Ross coloured glasses.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 11 Jun 2024 11:28am, edited 2 times in total.

Killa
Club Player

And in regards our attack, we have King who is how old, Caminiti who is a junior still developing and Membrey who is (just about) midfielder size

King needs support, as does the 199cm Howard at the other end and Marshall, our sole ruckman

With Howard down Marshall gave assistance to our height compromised defence therefore unable to push forward as an option to King (noting Caminiti was the relief Ruck so putting more pressure on King)

And our other need is a goal kicking midfielder - witness the scoreboard pressure applied by the Sydney mids which is the reason that side is the clear stand out this season so far

Killa
Club Player

And as I put elsewhere, give Lyon Mark 1 access to Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins

And give Lyon Mark 2 access to Daicos x 2 and Moore

Makes a difference, hey?

And why the AFL Competition is seriously compromised in favour of media wetting their uneducated pants

spert
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 11:26am And in regards our attack, we have King who is how old, Caminiti who is a junior still developing and Membrey who is (just about) midfielder size

King needs support, as does the 199cm Howard at the other end and Marshall, our sole ruckman

With Howard down Marshall gave assistance to our height compromised defence therefore unable to push forward as an option to King (noting Caminiti was the relief Ruck so putting more pressure on King)

And our other need is a goal kicking midfielder - witness the scoreboard pressure applied by the Sydney mids which is the reason that side is the clear stand out this season so far
I would like King to have Caminiti's attitude

Killa
Club Player

Who says he does not?

In your engagement with King AND with Caminiti what have they confided to you that differentiates the attitude of King versus the attitude of Caminiti (or anyone else where you are privy to personal engagement with the players)?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Difference between King and Hammer in attitude

Hammer looks (and plays) like he's had a really satisfying dump

King looks constipated

samoht
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 11:21am RTB takes his finger off the pulse more often than not, then, judging by our wins vs losses.

We have talented players like Hill, Wilkie, Battle, Nas, Clark, King, Wood, Sinclair, Windhager, Steele ... when the wins come, they are largely as a result of the abilities and efforts of these players. We've added Dow, Bonner who are keeping regular past players out of the side, such as Paton, Byrnes.

I left out Marshall. We have a strong list overall ... we are selling our players short.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 4:37pm Difference between King and Hammer in attitude

Hammer looks (and plays) like he's had a really satisfying dump

King looks constipated
:lol:

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Toilet humour is always a winner

For anyone who thinks I was serious ...It was meant as a joke

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He did have access to priority picks, gift wrapped Brendon Goddard and a full rebuild under Grant Thomas

He can’t complain about what he walked into

Hudghton, Gardiner, Hayes, Baker, Milne, Blake, Reiwoldt, Koschitzke, Ball, Clarke, Clarke, Dal Santo, Maguire, Montagna, Sam Fisher, Gram, McQualter, Gilbert, Schneider, Dempster, Ray

There is more A Graders
All Australian players,
Top draft picks

There than we will ever assemble again

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 6:32pm
samoht wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 11:21am RTB takes his finger off the pulse more often than not, then, judging by our wins vs losses.

I left out Marshall. We have a strong list overall ... we are selling our players short.
Universally accepted we lack elite talent
Show me the elite midfield Lyon has ????
Even Wilkie/Sincs output has been down this year
We do t have a good list
We have a patchy list at best and bottom 2 midfield
Let’s stop the nonsense

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Marshall - A Grade
Steele - A Grade
Sinclair- A Grade
Wilkie - A Grade

Wanganeen Milera - Almost A grade if he’s not
King - Should be A Grade (kicked 50 goals two years ago)
Hill - we pay him like an A Grader

Potential A Graders
Henry - played out of position
Wilson - tracking well

Solid foot soldiers
Battle, Higgins, Clark, Dow, Crouch (inj), Wood

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon was quite bullish on our list in May 2023.
See link.

I think a few of our youngsters like Windy and Nasiah are showing us their value. I think we've improved our list since May last year when Teflon made the post below

Same with Darcy Wilson who has been a fantastic addition. Same with Liam Henry. Our backline is elite and hasn't changed.

What happened? Why the sudden turnaround?

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 5#p2006475
I never said we’d win in 2024
I did say 2-3 we will seriously challenge
From there…but of luck..you never know
Are you the same fair weather fan that told us the list was shyte ?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 7:46pm Universally accepted we lack elite talent
We have a patchy list at best and bottom 2 midfield
Let’s stop the nonsense
Bulldust

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 7:46pm
Let’s stop the nonsense
The nonsense will stop once the Ross-Coloured Glasses come off.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 9:06pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 7:46pm
Let’s stop the nonsense
The nonsense will stop once the Ross-Coloured Glasses come off.
Or when the Ross hatred ceases

samoht
Saintsational Legend

There has to be a balance ... it's the mindless OTT adoration of RL by some - that's what we "hate" on this forum. Hate is a strong word, Mr Magic, mind you (be careful using it).

RL is just doing his job - no-one hates him for that. We might not like his game plan, and see other shortcomings. But how's that hating the man?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 9:28pm There has to be a balance ... it's the mindless OTT adoration of RL by some - that's what we "hate" on this forum. Hate is a strong word, Mr Magic, mind you (be careful using it).

RL is just doing his job - no-one hates him for that. We might not like his game plan, and see other shortcomings. But how's that hating the man?
I might humbly suggest that the inability to admit anything he does is good borders on pure illogical hatred of somebody.
Just as much as the inability to admit that not everything he does is 100% correct borders on illogical adoration.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Putting all your faith in someone and thinking they can do no wrong and not thinking with objectivity is dangerous. That's what's illogical, blind faith.
A healthy amount of vigilance/skepticism - not worshipping the ground someone walks on - this doesn't define hatred, nor illogicality/irrationality (quite the opposite).

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes the hatred is so ingrained the person is not capable of seeing what the reality is.
And they convince themselves that the hatred doesn’t exist but it’s only healthy skepticism
What’s that expression - one can’t see the forest for the trees.
Or
there are none so blind as those that will not see

And this applies equally to those with rose coloured glasses as well as the irrational haters.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 11:55pm Sometimes the hatred is so ingrained the person is not capable of seeing what the reality is.
And they convince themselves that the hatred doesn’t exist but it’s only healthy skepticism
What’s that expression - one can’t see the forest for the trees.
Or
there are none so blind as those that will not see

And this applies equally to those with rose coloured glasses as well as the irrational haters.
You are a wise man Magic
It’s true me and Firey love the boss …but I wouldn’t say anyone on this site has said he should be above scrutiny
What I object to is the mindless, cliched “it’s old Ross again…can’t score…run to hills” Herald Sun type thinking peddled by a select few who simply don’t like the man
I take a very different approach after a decade in the wilderness with beige coaches who brought zero standards to the club
I see a footy department that’s light years ahead of what we had
I see (and have heard from multiple track watchers) the difference in training standards under a Lyon vs Ratten
I’m watching kids being played weekly to fast track them (very un-Ross like)
I’m yr 1 we over achieved off a soft draw imo and that probably hurts Lyon more now tbh
Yes, I’d like to see the rivers of goals flow….do I need 100 points every week so I can go home with my goal fix?
No
In 2009/2010 I was very content with our scoring prowess - I’ve not experienced another year like 09 where I would go to the footy and opposition fans were shyte scared of playing us cause they expected to lose….
I want that level of sustained performance again
No other available coach out there right now comes near delivering that
It’s 1.5 years into Lyon ….and the haters are out early!!
But when the wins come ….theyll shut up and pretend they were on board all along ….
Oh …I also don’t think Lyon will get a Premiership…sadly …but I think the foundations might be there ..

“Yeah….nah””