Ross Lyon tactics

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon tactics

Great coach with his tactical nous and Hardwick admitted as much.

Low scoring games aren’t his fault it’s other teams unwillingness to attack our defence that causes the low scoring as they know we will beat them on the rebound.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon tactics

Seems to me that some coaches figure out a way through this RTB’s plan and some don’t. When they figure it out… we tend to look pretty bad.

That said… I thought RTB put on a master class on Saturday night

spert
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:07pm Seems to me that some coaches figure out a way through this RTB’s plan and some don’t. When they figure it out… we tend to look pretty bad.

He packed the backline and hard tagged a running mid and that was about it.. pretty basic stuff, and as a result we got a mistake-ridden game of low quality which luckily we got a couple of soft frees close to goal to get a respectable score and scrape over the line. Lyon needs to pull out a few masterclasses with the forward half, but I'm not holding my breath.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:36pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:07pm Seems to me that some coaches figure out a way through this RTB’s plan and some don’t. When they figure it out… we tend to look pretty bad.

He packed the backline and hard tagged a running mid and that was about it.. pretty basic stuff, and as a result we got a mistake-ridden game of low quality which luckily we got a couple of soft frees close to goal to get a respectable score and scrape over the line. Lyon needs to pull out a few masterclasses with the forward half, but I'm not holding my breath.
What bulls***.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I know nothing of tactics, but look.
Hardwick has flags, now has a slew of top draft picks at the Suns, his team had a massive win in the Alice (yes it was a sauna) but he failed to dominate us?

And Bevo- I rate him as far less of a coach than Dimma yet the Doggies owned us.

I don't understand.
Somebody help me out

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Doggies game was our 4th game in 20 days and the 2nd & 3rd game of that 4 game run were interstate with one day less to prepare than the Dogs whose previous game was at Marvel.

Fairly certain we were dead on our feet

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:46pm

What bulls***.
I agree- basic coaching isn't a masterclass

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 8:50am

What bulls***.
Hardwicks said he couldn't work out a way through their defense. I'm sure if he attacked at all costs this would have lead to far more scoring shots for us.

So who is to blame the coach with a great defensive set up or the coach who can't or won't take it on?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What bulls***.
lol

He missed the bit where we denied them the ball and kept stoppages to a minimum (their strength).

We controlled the play.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I don't think implementing an old fashioned flood and tagging is anything overly genius.

I also don't think strangling an average team that can't win away from home or at Marvel is overly impressive.

After 13 rounds the coaches still haven't figured out a way for us to score, once that's sorted maybe we can start giving the coaches their flowers.
Last edited by The_Dud on Tue 11 Jun 2024 12:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 11:47am I don't think implementing an old fashioned flood and tagging is anything overly genius.

I also don't think strangling an average team that can't win away from home or at Marvel is overly impressive.

After 13 rounds the coaches still haven't figured out a way for us to score, once that's sorted maybe we can give start giving the coaches their flowers.
Every team press up only those in denial suggest differently. Yeah a tagger isn't new but it's who to tag which is the key.

Also defence force then work on attack.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

We are discussing the coaching masterclass of falling over the line against a side whose last win away from home was over 12 months ago.
The masterclass was dragging a side who can't win away down to our level.

The cult moves in mysterious ways.

When we win it is all the coach yet when we lose it is all the players.
When Ratten was coach amazingly it was the other way around, it is bizarre isn't it.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The Suns' game in Alice Springs or Darwin where Ben King had a tall fwd helper to take heat off him- that other guy got 5 or something.

You'd think by half-time of our game, Dimma shoulda worked out what we were doing and try to get better entries into their F50.

Flooding by us is a thing, helped by not many goals.
The 6-6-6 only happens at centre bounces so that didn't happen much at all

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
older saint
SS Life Member

Great coaching strategy . on Paper they are much more talented than we are and yet through tactic and team effort were able to stifle them. Was it pretty no, but coaches don't get paid for being pretty they get paid for winning.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They are yet to get close to winning away

Except against us

Talent is only one measure

Lance Collard has lots of talent

nefron55
Club Player

The suggestion that we flooded in this game is absolutely a myth.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 67c7b45ef4

Here is Joey's quote from this article:

“They had 44 turnovers between the arcs which is well above the AFL average … and their only problem was that they couldn’t finish their play inside 50m,” Montagna said.
“It is finger-deep analysis to say St Kilda sat back and flooded when really they turned the ball over all game.
“They got a lot of good looks, they just weren’t able to take their chances.”

Additionally, on On the Couch, Browny said as well that we absolutely did not flood.

It's easy to mistake low scoring with intent to keep scores low, but in this case it's pretty obvious from both the numbers and the eye test that we weren't flooding.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s now called team defence- not a flood

It’s a 15 man zone between the arcs designed to own the corridor and force mid turnovers

We actually play a come forward defence

But there is no denying we send two half forward either to or behind the contest line to contest the mid zone - we send (like all clubs) our fat side winger behind the ball. Along with Marshall

Our game style is to first and foremost defend - even with the footy - the uncontested mark style and slow build up and bomb to the hotspot allows you to set up behind the ball and get repeat entries- play a front half game as Ross calls it.

Go fast - you can find it easier to score but you are also a lot easier to score against

nefron55
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 5:56pm It’s now called team defence- not a flood

It’s a 15 man zone between the arcs designed to own the corridor and force mid turnovers

We actually play a come forward defence

But there is no denying we send two half forward either to or behind the contest line to contest the mid zone - we send (like all clubs) our fat side winger behind the ball. Along with Marshall

Our game style is to first and foremost defend - even with the footy - the uncontested mark style and slow build up and bomb to the hotspot allows you to set up behind the ball and get repeat entries- play a front half game as Ross calls it.

Go fast - you can find it easier to score but you are also a lot easier to score against
This might be of interest:

We're actually a quick ball movement team that is more direct than AFL average.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 4:57pm They are yet to get close to winning away

Except against us

Talent is only one measure

Lance Collard has lots of talent
I’ve seen glimpses of it the couple of cameos he’s played. It can’t be easy for a young kid away from home for the first time. Let’s hope he can fulfill his ability with the Saints

SaintDippa
Club Player

We get the entries but they're mostly wasted long and deep that opposition know is coming and get setup to rebound out. If we clean up entries to hit targets, I'd suggest another 12-15 controlled 30-35m looks a game. If those shots are at 50%, there is the 100 points and we're lauding Ross the attacking guru. For some reason the coaching is not drilling and drilling into the players to hit a target rather to kick long. But you have to laugh at sooky Hardwick. Could have taken risks against the 'team defence' but chose to manage the movement forward with 130 sideways, backward and uncontested.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They train kicking it long to King

Do not want entries to 35-40m out in case it’s turned over

Because a turn over from a shallow entry is hard to defend

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 8:50am

What bulls***.
Neither is basic posting
Were you at the ground??????
Lyon didn’t flood backline
He employed a zone defence that demands our team run hard both ways
Hardwick tried to be cute, changed way Suns normally play and got smacked
Should’ve lost by 5 goals if our execution into 50 was better
Stop sprouting lazy, half arsed , cliched Lyon rubbish
No side with our midfield would enter into a straight shootout with that GC midfield
Lyon was smart

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 6:33pm We get the entries but they're mostly wasted long and deep that opposition know is coming and get setup to rebound out. If we clean up entries to hit targets, I'd suggest another 12-15 controlled 30-35m looks a game. If those shots are at 50%, there is the 100 points and we're lauding Ross the attacking guru. For some reason the coaching is not drilling and drilling into the players to hit a target rather to kick long. But you have to laugh at sooky Hardwick. Could have taken risks against the 'team defence' but chose to manage the movement forward with 130 sideways, backward and uncontested.
Great post
Q1 we looked like that
I don’t believe the coach came out Q2-4 and said
“Look guys we are lowering the eyes too much into 50 and look dangerous and likely to score goals …please stop….lets now change the game plan..,”
Horse shyte
Players under pressure reverted to bombing that’s our issue
Skill and execution under pressure
Good sides will hurt us until that improves
Our midfield last 2 weeks has st least broken even
We’ll see against Lions…..

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

StK average 70 points per game - ball movement is horrible

Outside of 1 game, the footy they have played this year has been s***!!!

That’s the reality

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2024 8:04pm StK average 70 points per game - ball movement is horrible

Outside of 1 game, the footy they have played this year has been s***!!!

That’s the reality
Any chance of changing the record. ….you are wearing this one out