Ross Lyon you do my head in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon you do my head in

It’s not about the forwards

It’s about the method of moving the ball

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 11:22am It’s not about the forwards

It’s about the method of moving the ball
No, it’s both. Our tall forwards are completely out of form or in Caminiti’s case, still developing. Has our method changed that much since Rd2 when we kicked 15 goals?

As a fwd, you simply have to be able to win contests. Our only fwd in any sort of form is Higgins. His skills are limited. Owens had a reasonable night, but he’s not creative. Butler tried hard with limited opportunities.

We are trying to move the ball quickly but I fear that our skills just aren’t up to it. How often, about 6 weeks ago did we try that centre corridor kick and it got turned over? Against GWS I think. That game, even though our last 15 minutes was great, seemed to destroy their confidence and I have noticed more and more, we’re back to the Ratts style of play, kicking long down the line or chipping around

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How can 3 forwards competed with 6 defenders

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Question

Why do you think Flanders and Sexton racked them up?!

Where do you think the half forwards were?!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 11:55am [Owens had a reasonable night, but he’s not creative.
Owens played up the ground and was instructed to get involved at stoppages

Gold Coast's 1wood is clearances and contested possessions, and Owens was one of the players that took that away from them.

14 disposals...8 contested. 4 clearances. 4 inside 50s. Faded badly in the last quarter

He was very important, but it meant we needed other avenues for goal. Maybe as Owens develops a better tank he'll be able to spend more time on ground and impact late in games

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Again

Not trusting the mids

Forwards sent up to the stoppages to congest

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 1:21pm Again

Not trusting the mids

Forwards sent up to the stoppages to congest
We had King, Membrey and Caminiti as well as the smalls so Owens was probably told to get involved at stoppages forward of centre

When I said he was involved at stoppages, I didn't mean he went deep into defense or anything.

We had a few opportunities to score and totally messed up so the final score to me wasn't that much of an issue. Add 1 or 2 extra goals and no one would be talking about the King free....or the low overall score

I was getting really frustrated during the game, but I think you have to hand it to the coaching staff for getting a victory when we weren't expected to win.

Gold Coast also beat us comprehensively last time we played them.

The real positive for me was the combination of Dow and Clark. I think these 2 will allow Jack Steele and Sinclair and Liam Henry to provide more opportunities for our forwards

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

It's not a rare tactic or an exclusive to St Kilda one.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

So this is a good thread. Coming after RTB schooled Hardwick with a defensive masterclass, the OP asked us to sort out our scoring woes for RTB. The man himself is well aware of the problem and said as much during his presser.

So far, most have reiterated the problem rather than offer solutions.

Do we change the coaching set up? Send Harvey back to midfield coach and give BJ the forwards?

Do we change the forward structure? Move King up the ground to shift the focus? Get Sharman in and play him deep with the instructions to fly for marks at any cost? Instruct Owens to control the half forward line and stop intercept markers dominating?

Do we try to get our run going much deeper and aim for more goals from the midfielders?

Leave a forward line in place rather than have them all dropping behind the ball?

Anyone have any genius suggestions?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

RTB should at least be experimenting with some of your suggestions bigcarl. We are getting the ball in there. Just a few tweaks and bang

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we need drastic changes in personnel. Most of the changes have upset our rhythm since round 2 and we need stability in the team

Nearly ALL of the forwards have had interruptions in form because of injury or suspension. In Caminit's 'case it's been due to getting dropped. I'd leave him in the team to play as second ruck for the time being

Our game looked a lot better than the games against Freo, Hawks and Melbourne. Dow and Clark supporting the mids is the key difference.

I think we just need some consistency and no more injuries or suspensions. I think we got a lot right against Gold Coast and just need a little finishing skill and better connection.

I forgot about Membrey. I think I'd give Skunk one more opportunity in Brisbane.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 5:21pm I don't think we need drastic changes in personnel. Most of the changes have upset our rhythm since round 2 and we need stability in the team

Nearly ALL of the forwards have had interruptions in form because of injury or suspension. In Caminit's 'case it's been due to getting dropped. I'd leave him in the team to play as second ruck for the time being

Our game looked a lot better than the games against Freo, Hawks and Melbourne.

I think we just need some consistency and no more injuries or suspensions. I think we got a lot right against Gold Coast and just need a little finishing skill and better connection.

I forgot about Membrey. I think I'd give Skunk one more opportunity in Brisbane.
I'd be surprised if even Tim would want to take his current form to BNE. Either he has an injury or time has tapped him. (See Cooper in the VFL?)

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 5:21pm I don't think we need drastic changes in personnel. Most of the changes have upset our rhythm since round 2 and we need stability in the team

Our game looked a lot better than the games against Freo, Hawks and Melbourne. Dow and Clark supporting the mids is the key difference.

Agree at most 2 unforced changes. Preferably 1.

Ross and Membrey the options.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

So this is a good thread. Coming after RTB schooled Hardwick with a defensive masterclass, the OP asked us to sort out our scoring woes for RTB. The man himself is well aware of the problem and said as much during his presser.

Do we change the coaching set up? Send Harvey back to midfield coach and give BJ the forwards?

Do we change the forward structure? Move King up the ground to shift the focus? Get Sharman in and play him deep with the instructions to fly for marks at any cost? Instruct Owens to control the half forward line and stop intercept markers dominating?

Do we try to get our run going much deeper and aim for more goals from the midfielders?

Leave a forward line in place rather than have them all dropping behind the ball?

Bring in Heath, allowing Marshall to rest forward on occasion?

Bring in Schoenmaker and switch Battle forward?

Play Owens chb and switch Battle forward?

Play NWM and Sinclair wing rather than half-back, allowing them to spot up forwards with their laser-guided kicks to position?

Look, I admit some of these are probably rubbish ideas. That’s all they are … ideas. But there might be a gem among them somewhere.

Feel free to add anyone who has a genius idea
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 11 Jun 2024 8:23am, edited 2 times in total.

nobhead
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 10:57pm So this is a good thread. Coming after RTB schooled Hardwick with a defensive masterclass, the OP asked us to sort out our scoring woes for RTB. The man himself is well aware of the problem and said as much during his presser.

Bring in Heath, allowing Marshall to rest forward on occasion?

Bring in Schoenmaker and switch Battle forward?

Play Owens chb and switch Battle forward?

Play NWM wing rather than half-back, allowing him to spot up forwards with his laser-guided kicks to position?

Look, I admit some of these are probably rubbish ideas, but there might be a gem among them somewhere.

Feel free to add anyone who has a genius idea
Get king ,caminiti and sharman to seperate and provide leads to their teamates up the field when we have the ball . And at the very least not get outmarked and / or not play from behind and if you dont mark it bring it to ground and create a stoppage.and for our midfielders move it quickly dont fumble ,hanball it at teammates feet or over their heads .
In summary if you can't execute basic skills at afl level doesn't matter who plays where and what game plan you have your going to struggle to score.