Match Thread Saints v Suns

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Suns

Killa wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 8:16pm And in that pic, look at the St Kilda number 1, the ball at the time in the hands of Henry who was free, having received the ball from Membrey who received it from Clark

As far as I could make out (because my focus was on Henry and Higgins - so not King) the whistle went when Henry had uncontested possession

King would have seen that unfolding as well, and would have looked to compromise his opponent into either marking King or blocking the unfettered run of Higgins (noting Henry could have just headed straight to goal)

King would have looked to improve the space Henry and Higgins had made for themselves

My comment was “we are in here”, then everyone stopped because of the whistle
My exact take on the play!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Killa
Club Player

So, not noticing King at that time, I would assume that the GC defender was endeavouring to keep King in such a position that the GC defender could peel off to impact (either of) Henry or Higgins

And King was trying to lead him away hence the GC defender impeding King’s movement by holding him

In those circumstances King was never going to the goal square with an opponent in close proximity

He was going to leave it open for either of Henry or Higgins to run to the line

And both Henry and Higgins have the skills to do that

Media, hey?

Perhaps they should all join Costello and others and depart

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 8:32pm So, not noticing King at that time, I would assume that the GC defender was endeavouring to keep King in such a position that the GC defender could peel off to impact (either of) Henry or Higgins

And King was trying to lead him away hence the GC defender impeding King’s movement by holding him

In those circumstances King was never going to the goal square with an opponent in close proximity

Media, hey?

I thought King was trying to lead to 25 out directly in front.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 8:43pm
Killa wrote: Mon 10 Jun 2024 8:32pm So, not noticing King at that time, I would assume that the GC defender was endeavouring to keep King in such a position that the GC defender could peel off to impact (either of) Henry or Higgins

Media, hey?

I thought King was trying to lead to 25 out directly in front.
King doesn't seem to know how to lead- if he did it more often he would have more goals, as the players coming down field would have a target, which would be a bit of a novelty in our forward line.

Killa
Club Player

King goes back then leads up leaving a decision for the GC defender where the objective was to leave him in no man’s land

Look at the space Higgins had - and that at that precise time Henry, having marked the ball travelling around the 50 metre mark, was also in space

At that precise moment we had out positioned the GC defence courtesy of Clark finding a leading up Membrey

Killa
Club Player

And in come the serial knockers

Noting the efforts of the players across the game

flack
Club Player

The umpire awarded the free, like he has many times previously and yet McBurney, having watched it in replay and from several angles reckons he shouldn't have. That's what I call throwing your employee under the bus. All he needed to say was that he could understand why it was awarded. He's just trying to placate the Gold Coast mob by dumping on his umpire, it will backfire. I'm just amazed that we get to keep the points.