If the shoe had been on the other foot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If the shoe had been on the other foot

Do you think the Suns supporters and coach would bemoan their King getting a free (which was there) and winning the game?

Yeah, thought so.

The free was there and for those of you who weren't at the game, King was being held all night. And Wood's goal was disallowed anyway to give a free kick which wasn't there to Swallow, how about some of the commentators have a look at that one.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
scallopsroe
Club Player

Re: If the shoe had been on the other foot

Correct, the Swallow "free kick" was one where the Umpire saw a player fall forward in a tackle and blew his whistle. An experienced player pulling the wool over the eyes of an inexperienced umpire. Poor decision.
This shouldn't divert our comments from our very poor disposal all night. Some terrible decision making and skill errors (Woods attempt to switch play inside) D50. Poor execution, kept the Suns in the game.

Alot of work to do in the off-season.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

"People get kneed in heads, and they don't get free kicks, do they" RTB

Says it all.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm kind of sick of people making excuses for King- he got flogged last night and only looked slightly better when he went up the field.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

You can see Windhager is living rent free in Miller's head. Miller slipped over in the final seconds - he never usually does that, he is usually very confident. Another scalp to Windhager.

BTW - King should have received a 50 at the end for player dissent.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 9:44am I'm kind of sick of people making excuses for King- he got flogged last night and only looked slightly better when he went up the field.
And the Coleman medalist leader at the other end dominated the game, after his opponent went off in the first 20 minutes

People on here are hilarious

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 9:18am King was being held all night.
And is every week. He’s just got to find ways to get separation from opponents. Lead, lead, lead.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 9:44am I'm kind of sick of people making excuses for King- he got flogged last night and only looked slightly better when he went up the field.
He is one of our luckiest players in that regards being the constant and readily available supply of excuses.

He just doesn’t use his tools to work hard enough to create opportunities, especially aerially or on the lead.

What ever his excuse is, he’s just an average player and nowhere near the expectations bestowed on him when he was recruited some 6 years ago.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

He is one of our luckiest players in that regards being the constant and readily available supply of excuses.

He just doesn’t use his tools to work hard enough to create opportunities, especially aerially or on the lead.

What ever his excuse is, he’s just an average player and nowhere near the expectations bestowed on him when he was recruited some 6 years ago.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Crook knee. Brave to be out there.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Pretty easy to get held when you want to wrestle rather than lead

Nick Reiwoldt rarely wrestled he just got on his bike

King is easy to defend - no big leads - just grappling

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 1:34pm

Oh Vortex!!! Your antipathy towards Max King never ceases to astonish me. The stats I posted on another thread showed that Max is tracking exeptionally well compared to the best in the competition, and at 23 he is still very much a work in progress.

I don't know how you'd go as a 202 cm key forward still regaining confidence in significant shoulder reconstructions and week in and week out having the opposition's best key defenders hanging off your body in the contests.

Show some patience my friend, he will achieve his potential in another year or two and in the meantime just ignore what you consider to be his shortcomings!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yet he is likely to kick 400+ goals in his career in an era where defense defense defense dominates

But hold on ... hold on ..... the answer is Caminiti on his own up forward :lol: :lol:

Comedy gold from the Cairnsman-Vortex

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 10:38am
And the Coleman medalist leader at the other end dominated the game, after his opponent went off in the first 20 minutes

People on here are hilarious
I remember when i would go to game excited that Plugger was in the team.
I went to see him play and score a bagful.
Seriously does any St Kilda supporter go to the game in anticipation of Max King or any Gold Coast supporter go in anticipation of the Coleman leader Ben King.
John Coleman must be turning in his grave that it can be contemplated giving a medal in his name to these pathetic wimps.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ha ha.

Gold

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 5:01pm

Yet he is likely to kick 400+ goals in his career in an era where defense defense defense dominates

But hold on ... hold on ..... the answer is Caminiti on his own up forward :lol: :lol:

Comedy gold from the Cairnsman-Vortex
I wish King put in half the effort of Camaniti.
If I could only have one on the list I would take Camaniti, he is not to fragile or too shy to take a turn in the ruck to relieve Marshall.
I would trade King for LDU any day.
Want a fragile full forward Norf.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Killa
Club Player

And Howard tweaked his hamstring in following King on a lead, dropping off the chase due to the injury

King may well have still marked but the pressure on him would have been more intense

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy we won. I was dirty on the Swallow free. Dirty on a few other non decisions that could have given us momentum, but last night highlights again a lack of forward craft from our highest paid KP tall.

Max King isn't working hard enough. Really needs to up his aerobic capacity. No excuses

The biggest mistake he makes is thinking that he will somehow be able to take off from a standing start.

How can you Max? Your opponent isn't going to let you have a free run. An arm across or just standing in his way or jostling with him ...means he's not ready to meet the footy as our mids or half backs are streaming forward.

You're not going to be gifted frees like that too often

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yes it's all King's fault that we won the match

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It was great that he kicked it straight. It was great that we won, but for the team to improve and for any chance of St Kilda climbing the ladder...you can't win games if you can't kick reasonable scores

Ross acknowledged that. He repeated several times how 'frustrated' he was that we couldn't finish off the good work from up the ground.

We need a player who works just as hard as our mids to be the Number 1 leading target

I reckon with the opportunities we had last night and our inside 50's dominance, that if Higgins was playing the role of a tall (i.e. leading at the ball carrier and being the no.1 target) he would have kicked 4 goals

You don't have to be tall to play the position. Just, understand what's going on up the field and lead and charge towards the kicker

Phillipou or Sharman would have probably done the job better than King.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 5:32pm Yes it's all King's fault that we won the match
:roll: :D 8-)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I see the dumb batshyte Kibg bashers are out again…seriously moronic
I was at the ground - King gets no where near the free kicks of others ….gets a deserved free then cause Hardwick has a whinge it’s a talking point???
Lock up your girlfriend’s GC players with ole Dimma around ….**** grub

“Yeah….nah””
Templar
Club Player

King's holding free kick is all over sports media with commentary that there was no free kick and that it should have been play on. They have a point as the umpires would never reward a free like that to someone like Charlie Curnow and the media would be all over it if they did...

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
takeaway
Club Player

Lot of tall forward experts on here. I would suggest in future games (at the actual ground) some concentration be given by supporters on watching King, on and off the ball, on how hard he works, including how hard he has to grapple to get a bit of clearance.

True, sometimes he makes the wrong move, can't get clear, and there is a disconnect. Also, when he manages to create a target, how often is the kick well weighted? Not that often at the moment. How often does he struggle with the main backman, and regularly one other, thus logically creating space elsewhere, only for the kick to go to him on his head?

It is not just a matter of leading hard at the kicker. What if his path is blocked? (as it is often). He goes back, sometimes stays back, but often doubles back and leads forward. All sorts of moves. Most of course do this, the best of all at present is Curnow. King is not as mobile as Curnow, but I have watched him recently, at the expense of missing some of the game, and imo he does work very hard.

The main issue is delivery, and getting those involved in delivering and receiving on the same page. Saw some improvement this week, and it is certainly being worked on. I have no concerns about King's work rate. Although he also, with the other forwards has work to do.

Pretty tough out there for the main target forwards. Both Kings have signed Charlie Dixon's memo to the AFL pleading for the AFL to give the power forwards at least a chance to have a reasonable go at the ball. Even though the AFL has said the free to King was an error, I reckon more like that should be paid. He was clearly impeded first trying to go deeper, well away from the ball, and only grappled with Andrew to try to get through. Some are paid, some aren't. Most should be, and that would sort a lot out.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 6:55pm King's holding free kick is all over sports media with commentary that there was no free kick and that it should have been play on. They have a point as the umpires would never reward a free like that to someone like Charlie Curnow and the media would be all over it if they did...
Read another report which stated that the maggot who awarded the free kick was only metres away and had an uninterrupted view.