RTB finger on the pulse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

RTB finger on the pulse

For those that have watched the presser would’ve seen an honest appraisal of where we are by the coach , make no mistake this guy is switched on.
All the armchair experts on here are banging on about our Forward set up and inability to kick goals. Our coach knows this and is trying to work out ways to remedy it but he also highlights our improvement in other areas. I reckon he’s doing a bloody good job.
Near the end of the presser there are a few things there that curly should have a close look at

Fanboy (pres)

PS this thread won’t be liked by some on here who have the inability to let go their past grievances

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: RTB finger on the pulse

It’s quite funny reading the forum for me at the moment, the stuff that is annoying many RE RTB is actually the stuff that used to annoy me 15 years ago:
Out of form senior players or those injured selected
A game plan that looks great when it works and horrendous when it doesn’t
Lack of flare

That said… he’s playing much more well rounded, balanced lists at the moment and I’m really loving the fact that players are getting opportunity even when not completely ready.

My personal view on the matter is that 15 years ago… as his number 1 critic, I got my wish and he left. Then we stayed in purgatory effectively until he returned minus a flash in the pan.

RTB IMO is head and shoulders the best coach we’ve had since RTB and I’m very hesitant to consider a different direction without considerably more meat on the bone.
My feeling is that RTB himself has improved a bit since version 1.0 - seems more collaborative.

All of that said… biggest concern for me is game plan when it’s not working.
He absolutely schooled Hardwick last night and we brought them down with what was IMO a very tactical win. However, said strategy did not work vs the Bulldogs who cut right through our zone and we had no answers.

That and fixing the forward line are the tasks at hand

Interesting times

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

yep, I make out that he has no faults....I'm fully aware of his shortfalls. The Dogs game as you mentioned and persisting with some players who weren't cutting the mustard worried me a great deal having said that the positives outweigh the negatives.
He's been around a long time now and probably sees things in players that we don't and doesn't get it right all the time as we don't.
I was dirty on the way he left but never thought he wasn't a good caoch.
now I'm willing to back him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Things he hasn’t got right IMO

Ball movement/style of play
Debuts

Use of Liam Henry
Up until the last two weeks - Windhager

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 11:47am Things he hasn’t got right IMO

Ball movement/style of play
Debuts

Use of Liam Henry
Up until the last two weeks - Windhager
So what you are saying is that he is starting to get things right?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ball movement centre-forward

Is the worst I’ve seen

It’s like watching soccer

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 11:57am Ball movement centre-forward

Is the worst I’ve seen

But he acknowledges that and is trying to get it right, did you watch the presser?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 12:01pm
B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 11:57am Ball movement centre-forward

Is the worst I’ve seen

But he acknowledges that and is trying to get it right, did you watch the presser?
Is it a worry that they know what the problem is and after 13 rounds haven’t been able to fix/improve it (probably gone backwards in fact)?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Hardwick had a trove of talent, playing for a spot, Saints FB goes early, we fluff many chances, Suns hit the front late. Bottom line: we won. Dimma points to an umpiring decision having amnesia about the ride Suns got eg Swallow.
It was a good win.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why can’t they get it right?!

How about trying this

Hold forwards - don’t congest the ground
Allow mids time and space with the footy
Then you don’t have to kick to an outnumber

We focus on team defence - 15 behind the ball

It does not allow you to score

Sanctorum
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 2:10pm Why can’t they get it right?!

How about trying this

Hold forwards - don’t congest the ground
Allow mids time and space with the footy
Then you don’t have to kick to an outnumber

We focus on team defence - 15 behind the ball

It does not allow you to score
Easier said than done BM, teams only play as well as what the opposition allows them to do and in last night's game the Suns pressure was rated at 180 compared to St Kilda's 168.

Yes, Lyon is very big on team defence, it's his mantra, but it is not at the expense of getting the ball into attack, as manifest from St Kilda's 56 inside 50s to Suns 45.

I have seen some very positive signs in the last two weeks, especially in the midfield where St Kilda has won the clearance counts. Apart from Windhager's outstanding stoppage work on the opposition's best mid, the inclusion of Paddy Dow and Hunter Clark gives the side a lot more bite and drive.

Commentators described last night's game as drab and poor footy, but that ignores the fact that St Kilda is usually playing teams with far greater talent all over the ground, so the game plan naturally has to focus much more on stopping the opposition from gaining supremacy in the contests and fluency in their ball movement.

If St Kilda can maintain this sort of form against the Lions on Friday night it gives them a chance to grab the points.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 11:40am yep, I make out that he has no faults....I'm fully aware of his shortfalls. The Dogs game as you mentioned and persisting with some players who weren't cutting the mustard worried me a great deal having said that the positives outweigh the negatives.
He's been around a long time now and probably sees things in players that we don't and doesn't get it right all the time as we don't.
I was dirty on the way he left but never thought he wasn't a good caoch.
now I'm willing to back him.
Great thread/post Firey
I too know his short comings I’m just very realistic of what else is out there , where our club is at the type of coach we need
Lyon ticks every box right now
Will he be our premiership coach? (as much as I’d like him to get one with us) I doubt it
Watching last night live the difference in this side from Q1 to rest of the game was stark
Admittedly GC fired up their mid contest more but the facts are Q1 we did not bomb the ball into 50 - we lowered the eyes, looked for multiple options and had them.
As that pressure increased…the dump kick became more n more obvious it’s why I’m less concerned about game plan and much more concerned about effort and skill level…especially when good sides bring the heat.
As others have also noted - Dow n Clark have provided points of difference to our midfield. For longer periods we are breaking even abd it’s making a big difference at stoppage/contest
Long way to go …exactly what Lyon said
But can you imagine how different our forward half game could look with 1 or 2 burst style ball winning mids into this side??? With NAS/Syncs bringing it out from HB???
Huge
LDU cone on down…
Draft picks now please

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We did a lot right in the first half. We were solid in defence and didn't give them any room to do their run and gun from their midfield. Should have been 6 goals up half way through the second had it not been for a couple of fluffed opportunities

I thought the coaching was good. We controlled the game for the most part.

Then came the second half and the issue was more around execution. We had opportunities, but sloppy handballs, fluffed 25m kicks, and dropped marks meant we allowed them back in the game. Even Mason Wood, who's normally so reliable, had some absolute howlers.

We won this game because of the coaching, not in spite of it. Good planning but poor execution forward of centre.

As for Damian Hardwick. What an effing whinger. You weren't whining when Swallow got his goal from a free kick that wasn't there. You weren't too concerned when Matt Rowell was caught holding the ball 25m out from our goal, which was obvious to everyone at the ground except the umpire in the vicinity.

It's been a frustrating year, and none of this surprises me. Our backs have been good all year. Our midfield is now starting to break even. It's up to the forwards now to pull it together

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 1:35pm Hardwick had a trove of talent, playing for a spot, Saints FB goes early, we fluff many chances, Suns hit the front late. Bottom line: we won. Dimma points to an umpiring decision having amnesia about the ride Suns got eg Swallow.
It was a good win.
This!
With the talent in the Gold Coast team they've had over the years, they should be a genuine top 4 contender.
There isn't much that they genuinely lack in terms of on-field talent. Good key forwards, a very solid defence, and a midfield that most teams would swap theirs for in a heartbeat.
Why, and you can lump the Giants in this boat, are they not contending for flags every single year?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 5:48pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 1:35pm Hardwick had a trove of talent, playing for a spot, Saints FB goes early, we fluff many chances, Suns hit the front late. Bottom line: we won. Dimma points to an umpiring decision having amnesia about the ride Suns got eg Swallow.
It was a good win.
This!
With the talent in the Gold Coast team they've had over the years, they should be a genuine top 4 contender.
There isn't much that they genuinely lack in terms of on-field talent. Good key forwards, a very solid defence, and a midfield that most teams would swap theirs for in a heartbeat.
Why, and you can lump the Giants in this boat, are they not contending for flags every single year?
but more importantly....we beat them.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Great post again cwrcyn

We clearly came to play when you look at the dominance in that first quarter.

First and foremost is how you prepare your side and our first quarter was amazing. The discipline and the effort from the team is signature Ross the boss. Our leadership team led the way.

The Tv coverage showed Ross in the coach's box with a big smile about half way through that 1st quarter. You don't normally see him that relaxed early in games 😎

The focus shouldn't have been the low scores, but inevitably the press conference had a couple of reporters questioning our game plan. Ross found himself trying to decipher the closeness of the game when the stat sheet clearly showed we dominated in clearance and contest and inside 50's for most of the game.

Luckily our mids and defenders carried the team to victory

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m watching Swans v Cats
Swans are frightening…their skill and execution is sublime
The commentators just said “it’s like they can choose mid quarter the gears they want to use/go to and pull it off…sometimes fast …then slow ….rarely turning it over the whole time…
Cats doing a lot right but the class difference is obvious
We have a long long way to go we just do
But I feel confident that for the first time in a long time both the club Board and Footy Dept are on the same page and know this,
No more false dawns
No more top short cuts
I just want us not to get on a roll now and go ourselves out of top 5 pick
We need elite talent before Tassie come on line

“Yeah….nah””
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 5:53pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 5:48pm
It was a good win.
This!
but more importantly....we beat them.
Agreed!
Most pundits rate the Suns highly and rate us poorly. This was a good win!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Kicked 7 goals from 56 entries

Something is NOT right

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 7:31pm Kicked 7 goals from 56 entries

Something is NOT right
Well hello Einstein

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well, Ross the Boss has certainly got his finger on something.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 6:19pm I’m watching Swans v Cats
The commentators just said “it’s like they can choose mid quarter the gears they want to use/go to and pull it off…sometimes fast …then slow ….rarely turning it over the whole time…
But I feel confident that for the first time in a long time both the club Board and Footy Dept are on the same page and know this,
No more false dawns
No more top short cuts
Opposition forum FFS.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

No more false dawns
No more top short cuts
It's handy when you can pick up someone like Chad Warner at pick 39. Not that we could have, our first pick was #52 - Ryan Byrnes.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

No more false dawns
No more top short cuts
Name the last pick in the top 10 we nailed?

Even Clark is at a make or break point of his career.

After the train wreck of the McCartin blunder, I will never trust the Saints in the draft.

If we can nab an elite and established mid with that pick via a trade, I say do it,

Bad management is bad management