Changes for Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Changes for Gold Coast

saynta wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 7:53pm
bigcarl wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 7:49pmNo Crouch?
Poor show actually. Someone doesn't give a rats for our win loss ratio.
I reckon Seb Ross will be sub. If so, who would Crouch replace? It would be a waste of time to bring Crouch in as a sub.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 9:46pm If we drop Heath at the end of the year he will be picked up by another club for sure. Not sure what he's gotta do to get a game
Poison Marshall?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 9:52pm
I will say I dont think crouch and Ross will play in the same side this year.
Especially with Windy, Dow, Clark, and Henry in the side.

Play the younger blokes. Let them go head to head against the midfield from the Gold Coast

This is their challenge. Can they stand up and can they cement a spot on the St Kilda list in the long term
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 06 Jun 2024 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

George27
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 7:30pm Stocker still managed?
Not even an emergency.
Crouch, Arie are emerg
Saints website reports that Stocker is out for 2-3 weeks with abdominal/groin issue

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 8:15pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 7:59pm I can’t believe no crouch. You need an older fella in the 2s to teach the way and I thought it would have been Ross getting dropped, Crouch in. Bonner out for Arie. Arie has been tearing it up and smashing the door to be selected. Needs a game.
💯💯
Bonner got the DCM from Port because although he can get 30+, they go all over the place like a baby's breakfast.

Drop the fool until he decides to learn how to kick
His kicking efficiency is apparently near 80% I think everyone has an exaggerated impression that he sprays it everywhere, based on a handful of bad clangers that have cost us goals.

Hinkley didn't have patience, he was always in and out at Port. Practice makes perfect, the theory appears to be that if he is given license to take on the risky difficult kicks, he will eventually start hitting those long difficult targets. Which would make him lethal with the ball in hand across half back. If it comes off we're laughing, if it doesn't we didn't invest a heap in him.

He can play and he isn't a crap kick. When he has stuffed up badly, as far as I recall, it has usually been because he hesitated when making the decision. 12 games in a mainly out of form team riddled by injuries isn't enough time. I don't get all the angst about Bonner, let's see how he's going by the end of the year. He may not get there, but I reckon it's worth trying and I give him a fair chance.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Crouch has probably dared to question one of Ross's decisions which we know is enough to see you shown the door. Yes men only down at Moorabbin. Absolutely no selection integrity shown, form in the seconds not worth anything. I can only hope that the decision is to tank to improve our draft position.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

To be fair, Crouch did only look like he was at 80% in the VFL match. Still picked up a bag of possession and clearances.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 10:36pm Crouch has probably dared to question one of Ross's decisions which we know is enough to see you shown the door. Yes men only down at Moorabbin. Absolutely no selection integrity shown, form in the seconds not worth anything. I can only hope that the decision is to tank to improve our draft position.
Who deserved to he dropped for him? How has he pulled up? Has he got the appropriate load in his legs for AFL football? What did his GPS numbers look like?

All questions we don't know the answer to. You talk of selection integrity, impossible to comment on without knowing.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 9:41pm Well done RtB in leaving out Crouch 👍

Anyone who disagrees with team selection is a Ross Lyon hater 😂
We’ll said
Bout time you got on board and stopped being a pillock
Welcome to the RTB club

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 11:49pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 10:36pm Crouch has probably dared to question one of Ross's decisions which we know is enough to see you shown the door. Yes men only down at Moorabbin. Absolutely no selection integrity shown, form in the seconds not worth anything. I can only hope that the decision is to tank to improve our draft position.
Who deserved to he dropped for him? How has he pulled up? Has he got the appropriate load in his legs for AFL football? What did his GPS numbers look like?

All questions we don't know the answer to. You talk of selection integrity, impossible to comment on without knowing.
Yep
Love the twits that come out
Player x not picked = Ross hates him
Sone dumb shyte on here…

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 10:08pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 9:46pm If we drop Heath at the end of the year he will be picked up by another club for sure. Not sure what he's gotta do to get a game
Poison Marshall?
Crude but I love some outside the box thinking :D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 11:54pm

We’ll said
Welcome to the RTB club
I think Ross is struggling. Looks tired. Looks like he's aged 5 years in the last 5 weeks. Is his health ok?

Have they planned the timing of the handover yet?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Lyon looked much better in the presser today, thought that was the most upbeat he's been all season.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2024 3:48am

We’ll said
Welcome to the RTB club
I think Ross is struggling. Looks tired. Looks like he's aged 5 years in the last 5 weeks. Is his health ok?

I reckon Lyon will voluntarily step down at season's end, and Enright will take over the big job.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2024 8:00am

We’ll said
Welcome to the RTB club

I reckon Lyon will voluntarily step down at season's end, and Enright will take over the big job.
I was just stirring. I don't think he's going to walk away from the pay cheques just yet

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We’ll said
Welcome to the RTB club

Sounds like your posting ….rambling…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2024 8:00am

We’ll said
Welcome to the RTB club

I think we should have a wager on it…how much you putting up??
Chop on the block time big fella???

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2024 4:22am Lyon looked much better in the presser today, thought that was the most upbeat he's been all season.
Look I agree but I find it weird trying to predict “mood” of coach and players from 500,000 miles away …
So many variables…
Mrs Lyon could’ve been very nice to him that morning..
His accountant advised he’s done v well tax wise…
Max King and he had a laugh at Cornes article…
It’s kinda pointless
FWIW track watchers on BF felt the training session was more vibrant this week…is that cause they had a win?
As Lyon noted …confidence comes from actions…on weekend (against low opponents albeit on their home dung heap) players executed….we saw goals kicked into 50 from some smart lowering of the eyes decisions etc ..midfield responded…
Question is: against better opponents can they keep it up??
Worth remembering- game plan hasn’t changed….but something did that made us look far far better …?

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 10:13pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 8:15pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 7:59pm I can’t believe no crouch. You need an older fella in the 2s to teach the way and I thought it would have been Ross getting dropped, Crouch in. Bonner out for Arie. Arie has been tearing it up and smashing the door to be selected. Needs a game.
💯💯
Bonner got the DCM from Port because although he can get 30+, they go all over the place like a baby's breakfast.

Drop the fool until he decides to learn how to kick
His kicking efficiency is apparently near 80% I think everyone has an exaggerated impression that he sprays it everywhere, based on a handful of bad clangers that have cost us goals.

Hinkley didn't have patience, he was always in and out at Port. Practice makes perfect, the theory appears to be that if he is given license to take on the risky difficult kicks, he will eventually start hitting those long difficult targets. Which would make him lethal with the ball in hand across half back. If it comes off we're laughing, if it doesn't we didn't invest a heap in him.

He can play and he isn't a crap kick. When he has stuffed up badly, as far as I recall, it has usually been because he hesitated when making the decision. 12 games in a mainly out of form team riddled by injuries isn't enough time. I don't get all the angst about Bonner, let's see how he's going by the end of the year. He may not get there, but I reckon it's worth trying and I give him a fair chance.
After 105 games and at 27 years old we still need to give him more time show what he can do?

His kicking efficiency isn't too bad because a long kick that doesn't result in an uncontested mark to the opposition is considered to be effective. Doesn't matter if it wasn't to the advantage of our forward or if he ignored a better short option. For the life of me I can't figure out why we're persevering with him when we already had Nas and Sinclair who are infinitely better at the same role, and Sincs is just an average mid compared to an elite HB. Bonner is essentially just a softer Shane Savage.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 9:57pm
mad saint guy wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 8:53pm So Ross has decided that Seb offers us more this week than Crouch would. He's probably the only person who follows football with that opinion.
Not just Ross.
Boris
Banger
BJ
Damian Carroll maybe
Jake Batchelor might have a voice in Match Committee as well.

Something weird is going on.
Do they expect to lose (Suns are in a purple patch) so they don't wanna pick Crouch, give him another week without the extra pressure of AFL.
Long term, better for his rehab.

Seb, last week, got 3 kicks+3 handballs.
And 2 of each were in Q1.
He had about 16 Pressure Acts (across the game) which are pretty vague.
Are we seeing a repeat of Ross rewarding 'role players' that get hardly any ball but tick some weird boxes in RTB's insane fever dream?
I don't think anyone overrules Ross when it comes to selection. No doubt the assistants help with development, personal coaching and communication but in terms of decision making, a Ross Lyon coached team is a dictatorship.

saintbob
SS Life Member

WTF is going on, we only just beat a very mediocre West Coast Eagles team last week with several passengers in the team and we make no changes to take on the Suns.

We’re fair dinkum tanking, I can seen a 8 goal defeat coming our way.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Well actually we do have a fair few clues to this.
He must have pulled up reasonably well as he has been named as an emergency, you don't carry a player who can't run out a game as an emergency.
His form is obviously good enough as he was second in the coaches' votes for the last VFL game.

Who deserved to be dropped for him?
Are you actually trying to say that everyone starred in the game against West Coast so nobody could possibly be dropped.
You could have dropped Ross whose form has been appalling or Butler with Henry moving to half forward.

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2024 10:32am WTF is going on, we only just beat a very mediocre West Coast Eagles team last week with several passengers in the team and we make no changes to take on the Suns.

We’re fair dinkum tanking, I can seen a 8 goal defeat coming our way.
Yeah WCE had their best forward and one of their better onballers out,Waterman and Kelly, plus Reid was shut out of the game after half time, yet we only won by two goals in a tight game, so I'm not getting carried away. Unless our midfield improve by 50%, and hit the game hard in the first quarter, then it's a loss, hate to say.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

We’re fair dinkum tanking,
'n doing it well (enough)

✔️

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2024 11:00am

Well actually we do have a fair few clues to this.
He must have pulled up reasonably well as he has been named as an emergency, you don't carry a player who can't run out a game as an emergency.
His form is obviously good enough as he was second in the coaches' votes for the last VFL game.

Who deserved to be dropped for him?
Are you actually trying to say that everyone starred in the game against West Coast so nobody could possibly be dropped.
You could have dropped Ross whose form has been appalling or Butler with Henry moving to half forward.

You see what you want to see.

Crouch as emergency when three are named means little. His form has been noted and Ross has mentioned he wants him back in- its much more logical that either- he isn't quite ready to come back in or they believe no one deserves to be dropped.

I personally would have swapped out Ross too but I don't know what role he was playing, he spent some time on the wing which can have a lot of unrewarded running for example.

My personal view (just on the eye test) is that Crouch is still building a tank and they would rather him have another full game at VFL level than a fraction of one as a sub at AFL level.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.