AFL vs NRL officiating

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

AFL vs NRL officiating

I watched some of the State of Origin last night. To borrow what someone once said about Wagner operas, I find rugby league to be a game featuring some beautiful moments and some very tedious half hours.

But I have to say that I was greatly impressed with the way that Joseph Su'ali'i's head-high shoulder charge on a Queensland player was handled by the on-field referee. He called Su'ali'i and his captain over, said that he didn't want to discuss the matter: it was an extremely dangerous action and off you go. That meant that NSW played the remainder of the match one player down, plus Su'ali'i gets a four week suspension (which he can appeal, but I doubt he will).

Vision of Su'ali'i's act is being shown on morning news programs and I believe it can be found on Tik Tok. In some ways it was quite similar to Maynard's hit on Brayshaw. It had the veneer of a legitimate shoulder charge. And the Queensland player arguably contributed to the outcome by slipping at the moment that Su'ali'i arrived. (And we have heard that Brayshaw contributed to his hit by suddenly changing direction just before Maynard hit him: although I've watched the video of that incident a dozen times and I can't see how that was the case.)

But it seems to me that both Maynard's smother and Su'ali'i's act were at least partly motivated by an intention of shocking and perhaps hurting their opponents. The actions were capable of being carried off legally, but there was a high level of risk that there would end up being contact with the head. In other words, a "reckless" action as the rules of both games define it. When such reckless actions go wrong, and a player is seriously injured and thereby taken out of the rest of the game, there should be consequences. Last night there were for Su'ali'i and NSW. No fuss, off you go, your team is put behind the eight ball for the rest of the game and you'll get an automatic four week suspension. Yes, there was some bleating and complaining by former players and the NSW coach after the game, but it was all post facto. And nobody was trying to argue that the action was ok, but simply that there is some sort of unwritten rule that nobody gets sent off in State of Origin: a rule that does not appear to be recognised by the NRL management.

What happens in AFL? First of all, there are no immediate consequences for the player or his team, other than the benefit of their opponents being down one player for the rest of the game (and yes, there is a substitute available, but it doesn't entirely compensate). Then, after the match umpteen dozen former players come out and start bleating "footy action", "it's a game for men not pussies", etc, while that goose Christian ums and ahs about what's he's going to do. And then, most likely, the whole thing ends up before a tribunal with QCs and former players talking about how the thug who inflicted a life-changing injury on his opponent is a lovely fellow who helps old ladies across the street on their way to church on Sundays, etc. And in the end the AFL is left wringing its hands and saying "oh dear, head high contact is such a serious problem, what can we do to prevent it?"

Last night I couldn't help feeling that, inferior sort of game though it might be, the NRL is run by professionals, while the AFL continues to be run by amateurs.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL vs NRL officiating

That was as brutal a hit as I have seen. If it happened in AFL in the current climate, I’d expect it to be worth 12-18 weeks.

Four weeks and a send-off seems lenient.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 8:55am That was as brutal a hit as I have seen. If it happened in AFL in the current climate, I’d expect it to be worth 12-18 weeks.

Nowhere near as lenient as what Maynard got.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
older saint
SS Life Member

In one way cannot believe it was only 4 weeks , in another knowing how neanderthal the NRL still is in many ways not surprised. I like NRL but they still think it is 1990s.Would have been at least 8 in AFL

The big difference is the shoulder charge is an illegal act in NRL a smother isn't in AFL. The NSW players only intention was a shoulder charge whether to the head or chest , Maynard was a smoother and then chose to bump with the follow through. Maynard should have got suspended has he tucked up but cant compare the 2 as one was 2 acts one was only ever going to be one.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Maynard getting off was simply the AFL getting a player they wanted to play in finals cleared. Disgusting act by Maynard now other players are paying the price this season for his actions.

No coincidence Collingwood have won flags the years before new teams are introduced. Keep the big club happy.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I think the most inconsistent application of the intent to prevent head traumas was perfectly illustrated with the knee to the back or RoMas head.

Significantly more head trauma is currently being allowed from legal acts in the game than illegal acts.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 10:02am
bigcarl wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 8:55am That was as brutal a hit as I have seen. If it happened in AFL in the current climate, I’d expect it to be worth 12-18 weeks.

That is true, but things have clearly changed since then.

Under Lara Kane there is a clear understanding that the league must be seen to be doing everything possible to protect the head.

It’s either that or it faces being sued out of existence,

Australian football may still be the ultimate test of endurance and tenacity, but it is no longer the most brutal sport in the land. That “honour” belongs to Rugby League.

Four weeks for that! Made Jimmy Webster look like a powder puff.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2024 10:02am

That is true, but things have clearly changed since then. And in fact the league has removed the loophole that got Maynard off.

Under Lara Kane there is a clear understanding that the league must be seen to be doing everything possible to protect the head.

It’s either that or it faces being sued out of existence,

Australian football may still be the ultimate test of endurance and tenacity, but it is no longer the most brutal sport in the land. That “honour” belongs to Rugby League.

Four weeks for that! Made Jimmy Webster look like a powder puff.

Not that I’d tell Jimmy that 🤣

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I find it highly amusing that, having posted an observation contrasting the NRL’s response to the hit by Sua’ali’i to thr AFL’s response to the hit by Maynard, the main response I get on here is that the NRL’s approach isn’t tough enough!

Sua’ali’i will get four weeks and his team was seriously penalised for the rest of the game. As for Maynard and Collingwood…

And, yes, I am aware that some tougher penalties have been fished out by the AFL this year, but I sense that the whole thing is coming off the boil and we’re slowly heading back towards the usual hand-wringing. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if any more seven week suspensions are handed out in the near future.

- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

One difference is that in a SOO match every player on both sides are creme del a creme so a star is penalised. In AFL the marketers strenuously resist "stars" and key players from big clubs being suspended.
The verbal and intellectual contortions to exonerate Maynard were things to behold. Orwell eat your heart out.
Same circumstances, round 2, North v Saints the protagonist gets 7 and misses round 3, which coincidentally isn't a major final.