Latest scuttle butt…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Latest scuttle butt…

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 2:02am Off to the Hawks on a very good deal.
Band 1 good???

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

LMFAO

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:23pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:14pm
meher baba wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 4:44am I very much doubt that the club has drawn a hard line in the sand at this early stage. Battle’s management has put to the club an amount for which he would stay, and at this stage it’s too much.

If Hawthorn or anyone else is prepared to offer an insane amount, well so be it. I’d be surprised if they do. Battle is a skilled player, but not a team-defining one. Apart from anything else, he’s too short to build your backline around. Clubs that pay over the odds for players who aren’t superstars pur themselves in a difficult position the negotiations with other players.
I used to be in the negotiation game (industrial relations), it appears to me that Battle is holding out for a better offer from the Club and the Club is currently sticking to its "best offer", to not appear desperate and willing to pay anything. Its probably to early in negotiations to actually be the Club's final offer.
First round picks are great, but you want to be careful about letting a good player of a good age go. Battle is currently one of our best and a vital part of our back 6. You'd want to be sure Schoenmakers or Keeler are likely to be as good. Still, you don't want to be pushed into paying overs, as we did with such champions as Billings, Gresham and Acres.
Battle is far better than those three, but he's worth what his worth. Difficult decision for the Club and they need to be certain of what they want and need.
Correct
The club have wisely said here’s what he’s worth internally…here’s what overs look like externally IF sone club (plenty desperate for solid back man) pay overs (hence why we’ve put a v good 6 year deal in front of him!!) then that’s ok
I love Battle but let’s be clinical:
1. Is he replaceable in 1-2 years with what we have in twos??(Schoenmakers??)
2. IF he’s offered anything near McKay level deal/money …does that enable us to fix a midfield VERY QUICKLY that we all know is holding us back ?????

You gotta give to get
If it’s end Rd 1 I’d say no
IF it’s early …I’m all in

The club must be this ruthless- it’s why the board have backed Lyon who now has brought in an A grade footy dept ..
No longer “Lethlean picks”
Hard to disagree. It would need to be a top 10 and I think he's worth that.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If this bloke on Big Farty is such a reliable source, then why is he saying that Battle is in poor form?

Battle has been one of our most consistent players so far this year so that’s BS.

I’m prepared to believe that he’s been offered a contract and is holding out for more. And that his management is suggesting that there are other clubs willing to pay a whole lot more. And the club is telling its own staff - especially those who are inclined to leak information to the media or fans on a fan forum - that the offer is final. But they’re not saying that directly to Battle or his management.

In other words, it’s the standard mid-season nonsense relating to contract negotiation. It happens with one or more players at most clubs most years. Que sera.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:34pm
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:03pm Not sure who Stav is or where he gets his “knowledge” , but seems like a complete word salad to me.

He talks about how we are going to turnover the list and go for young players, in another sentence talks about topping up with some aging b listers from the Dogs (shudder to think who that could be)

Strikes me this bloke is straight from the Coodabeens, talking to his cabbie who had his hair cut by the cousin of a former flat mate of (insert minor AFL player here)
Suggest you get out more…
Ok smartie,

Tell me this. He mentions going after an Adelaide tall defender. Who out of Borlasse, Butts, Keane, Murray and Worrell would be any better than our group. Keane is having a good year, Murray is ok but injured a fair bit. Would Adelaide after losing Doedee (their best defender) last year even want to give up any of these, who are all ok but not world changing.

Next Dogs aging players would mean either Caleb D or McRae, both have been very good players (neither this year) but really you want to go for either of them as improving our 2025 list

But hey your man obviously has their finger on the pulse, just not sure what pulse

If I’m wrong tell me about it in January

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Sanctorum
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 3:09pm If this bloke on Big Farty is such a reliable source, then why is he saying that Battle is in poor form?

Battle has been one of our most consistent players so far this year so that’s BS.

I’m prepared to believe that he’s been offered a contract and is holding out for more. And that his management is suggesting that there are other clubs willing to pay a whole lot more. And the club is telling its own staff - especially those who are inclined to leak information to the media or fans on a fan forum - that the offer is final. But they’re not saying that directly to Battle or his management.

In other words, it’s the standard mid-season nonsense relating to contract negotiation. It happens with one or more players at most clubs most years. Que sera.
I think you may have misinterpreted the comment about "form" mb - he's talking about the team going through a period of poor form, not Battle, which understandably makes someone like him think seriously about going to a successful team....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shrodes
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 4:26pm
meher baba wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 3:09pm If this bloke on Big Farty is such a reliable source, then why is he saying that Battle is in poor form?

I think you may have misinterpreted the comment about "form" mb - he's talking about the team going through a period of poor form, not Battle, which understandably makes someone like him think seriously about going to a successful team....
Can you clarify this part for me? I got a bit confused thinking it's saying Hotton is worth trading for an end of first? But I don't see how that's possible, maybe I'm misreading
We are also keen on a late first. Think Hotton could fall into that range.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Bit of a sensitive soul is old Stav but as mentioned a few things don't add up like saying we are at our cap but the general consensus being that we have a huge war chest ... so what is it?

Interesting that North are supposedly interested in Trainor who is pegged to go around pick 10 .... so what about Battle and our 1st pick (could still be around 8 to 10) for the no. 1 pick and North's 2nd rounder (low 20s)?

If Battle is after a massive payday and North are offering the most then both clubs may be happy to deal/trade in order for North to nab Battle (ahead of other clubs and cut them out) and also get our 1st pick where they could draft Trainor (rather than using the no1 pick to draft him) .... and Battle maybe be happy to do this to help out us rather than North getting him via FA and us risk not getting a Rd1 comp pick which some are saying we aren't guaranteed to get

Sorry if thats a bit convoluted but just chewin the fat .... nothing else :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 4:49pm
I assume it's Taj Hotton shrodes:

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/taj-hotton/

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
St Dave
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 4:54pm Bit of a sensitive soul is old Stav but as mentioned a few things don't add up like saying we are at our cap but the general consensus being that we have a huge war chest ... so what is it?

Interesting that North are supposedly interested in Trainor who is pegged to go around pick 10 .... so what about Battle and our 1st pick (could still be around 8 to 10) for the no. 1 pick and North's 2nd rounder (low 20s)?

If Battle is after a massive payday and North are offering the most then both clubs may be happy to deal/trade in order for North to nab Battle (ahead of other clubs and cut them out) and also get our 1st pick where they could draft Trainor (rather than using the no1 pick to draft him) .... and Battle maybe be happy to do this to help out us rather than North getting him via FA and us risk not getting a Rd1 comp pick which some are saying we aren't guaranteed to get

Sorry if thats a bit convoluted but just chewin the fat .... nothing else :twisted:
As has been noted earlier, it isn't that our budget is maxed (as you say about the war chest), the issue is that he is getting offers past the cap of what we want to pay for our second/third tall back. We don't want to break our own wage structure in a way that means we might have to pay our other average players (as opposed to star players) more just to keep them.

Regarding your trade proposal, North aren't going to trade for a player they could get for 0 cost via free agency, and further to that no player leaving is going to want to help their old club get draft capital at the expense of their new club. That only hurts their chance of team success at their new club in the future

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hotton did his ACL a few weeks back but was trending as a Top 10 pick before that

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 5:32pm
Devilhead wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 4:54pm Bit of a sensitive soul is old Stav but as mentioned a few things don't add up like saying we are at our cap but the general consensus being that we have a huge war chest ... so what is it?

As has been noted earlier, it isn't that our budget is maxed (as you say about the war chest), the issue is that he is getting offers past the cap of what we want to pay for our second/third tall back. We don't want to break our own wage structure in a way that means we might have to pay our other average players (as opposed to star players) more just to keep them.

Regarding your trade proposal, North aren't going to trade for a player they could get for 0 cost via free agency, and further to that no player leaving is going to want to help their old club get draft capital at the expense of their new club. That only hurts their chance of team success at their new club in the future
Dangerfield moved via trade rather than FA but he was a restricted FA and Adelaide could have matched

I guess it depends on how desperate North are to get Battle and if Battle has a preferred club ... and of course how much a good guy Battle is :lol:

St Dave
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 6:09pm
St Dave wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 5:32pm

Dangerfield moved via trade rather than FA but he was a restricted FA and Adelaide could have matched

I guess it depends on how desperate North are to get Battle and if Battle has a preferred club ... and of course how much a good guy Battle is :lol:
Yeah that is the difference, for an RFA the club can always match so it forces the new club to come to the table and trade if they don't want to pay massive overs wage wise (and geelong have the culture of paying stars under what they might get at another club so they can afford to spread that money out across the whole team).

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:03pm

Not sure who Stav is or where he gets his “knowledge” , but seems like a complete word salad to me.

He's a track watcher, hangs with Tony74 et al.

Our recruiters and list management team know they can divulge their secrets to the track watchers becaue they won't run to the internet to big note themselves so you can be assured it's a reliable source.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 6:54pm

Not sure who Stav is or where he gets his “knowledge” , but seems like a complete word salad to me.

Our recruiters and list management team know they can divulge their secrets to the track watchers becaue they won't run to the internet to big note themselves so you can be assured it's a reliable source.
I wouldn't know if he's a track watcher, but he has over the years shown he does get some inside info.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Battle is one of our best players.
I say: no deal!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 6:59pm

I wouldn't know if he's a track watcher, but he has over the years shown he does get some inside info.
Yeah the point I was making is clubs know if they want information to get out they wander over to the track watchers where Stav and Tony74 et al loiter and start chatting.

Most linamnent sniffers are big noters so club officials know exactly how to get a self serving rumour started.

Kind of makes sense wouldn't you think?

shrodes
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 5:22pm
shrodes wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 4:49pm
I assume it's Taj Hotton shrodes:

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/taj-hotton/
Good one, thanks!
Younger brother of Olli it seems

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 7:25pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 6:59pm

Yeah the point I was making is clubs know if they want information to get out they wander over to the track watchers where Stav and Tony74 et al loiter and start chatting.

Most linamnent sniffers are big noters so club officials know exactly how to get a self serving rumour started.

Kind of makes sense wouldn't you think?
Exactly

And furthermore why would a true supporter go on the internet to advertise what you might think is “confidential”, surely the club’s interests is greater than you big noting yourself

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Getting rid of Battle, one of our few very good and consistent players, for a possible end of first round dart throw is ridiculous IMO.

There are plenty of others who should be moved on to save cap space before him!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 8:55pm Getting rid of Battle, one of our few very good and consistent players, for a possible end of first round dart throw is ridiculous IMO.

There are plenty of others who should be moved on to save cap space before him!
I agree if its a end of first round. It would need to be top 10 or as part of a deal that netted us pick 1.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We won’t get a say in it, if he asks for a trade!

He will get end of First Round Compo

McLuggage will get 1st round compo

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

He’d only ask if we don’t pay him.

Or there’s bad stuff going on behind closed doors at the club.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 3:20pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:34pm
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:03pm Not sure who Stav is or where he gets his “knowledge” , but seems like a complete word salad to me.

He talks about how we are going to turnover the list and go for young players, in another sentence talks about topping up with some aging b listers from the Dogs (shudder to think who that could be)

Strikes me this bloke is straight from the Coodabeens, talking to his cabbie who had his hair cut by the cousin of a former flat mate of (insert minor AFL player here)
Suggest you get out more…
Ok smartie,

Tell me this. He mentions going after an Adelaide tall defender. Who out of Borlasse, Butts, Keane, Murray and Worrell would be any better than our group. Keane is having a good year, Murray is ok but injured a fair bit. Would Adelaide after losing Doedee (their best defender) last year even want to give up any of these, who are all ok but not world changing.

Next Dogs aging players would mean either Caleb D or McRae, both have been very good players (neither this year) but really you want to go for either of them as improving our 2025 list

But hey your man obviously has their finger on the pulse, just not sure what pulse

If I’m wrong tell me about it in January
I’ll drop round cause you’re always a font of knowledge on here should be riveting conversation

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

You don’t say that on BF Cairnsman…..

“Yeah….nah””