Darcy Wilson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Darcy Wilson

Darcy Wilson is the new Darrel Baldock. Prove me wrong . No one's that old .

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 9:51pm Darcy Wilson is the new Darrel Baldock...
There are a couple of similarities. First, he has great skill on both sides - not only in kicking but in handball. That was something back in the 50s and 60s displayed by triple Brownlow Medallists. After watching the replay of yesterday's game, I gave him a vote. He is the most skilled player at the club. The other similarity with Baldock is that he has adapted to the big league so easily, and Baldock was a mature footballer when he came to the Saints. In fact, it's hard to think of a player since Baldock, other than Ian Stewart and Tony Lockett, whose first year has been as good.

takeaway
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 9:52pm Darcy Wilson is the new Darrel Baldock. Prove me wrong . No one's that old .
Ah,no. If Harley Reid had been tackling Baldock instead of Wilson, he would not have copped 2 weeks. You can't get suspended for tackling fresh air.

Wilson is going to be very good though, maybe he can reach the level of a player possibly more comparable, say George Young. That would be a dream.

loris
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 1:17pm
There are a couple of similarities. First, he has great skill on both sides - not only in kicking but in handball. That was something back in the 50s and 60s displayed by triple Brownlow Medallists. After watching the replay of yesterday's game, I gave him a vote. He is the most skilled player at the club. The other similarity with Baldock is that he has adapted to the big league so easily, and Baldock was a mature footballer when he came to the Saints. In fact, it's hard to think of a player since Baldock, other than Ian Stewart and Tony Lockett, whose first year has been as good.
Carl Ditterich’s first year was rather good!!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Wait until Wilson fills out a bit further after a few pre-seasons in the gym

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 2:26pm
Yes it was and I was there for his first game. Brilliant it was.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Justin Koschitzke had a nice first year

Of course the StK injury cursed fkd that up

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wilson does not even play a remotely similar position or in a similar fashion to Baldock

Darcy is a wingman/high half forward with a slender build, elite runner

Baldock was powerful and strong and a great ball handler

Baldock came to StK at 24yo - having already Captained Tasmania and been Captain Coach of East Devonport since he was 21

Big Max
Club Player

And I'll bet you fancied him ...

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 9:15pm
Doubt it, he was no Bud Anand :wink:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Big Max
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 6:39pm Wilson does not even play a remotely similar position or in a similar fashion to Baldock

Darcy is a wingman/high half forward with a slender build, elite runner

Baldock was powerful and strong and a great ball handler

Baldock came to StK at 24yo - having already Captained Tasmania and been Captain Coach of East Devonport since he was 21
Baldock was my hero as a kid. He was freakish, not just an amazing ball handler, but had an uncanny knack to predict the way the ball bounced. From memory he was only about 5'10", yet he played Centre Half Forward, and was rarely beaten. To be honest, I can't think of a comparison, perhaps Peter Daicos in some aspects (freakiness), but really there is no comparison.

Love Darcy Wilson, but agree with BM, he's nothing like Baldock.

loris
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 9:21pm
Big Max wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 9:15pm
Doubt it, he was no Bud Anand :wink:
You’ve got a good memory - my schoolgirl crush!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

One play vs Tigers in Gather Round, in the final few minutes- before his run down tackle.
It's at 04:35 remaining in the match.
He was chasing a loose ground ball in our D50, ended up prone on the ground between 2 very fast small Tigers.
Darcy didn't panic, one of the Tigers went to push him/hold him down so the other Tiger could pounce; Darcy had the composure to punch the ball directly to a team-mate (in fact there were 3 Saints in the clear!) and the 2 Tigers were caught by surprise.

Geez, it's only a minor thing to most folks, but to me it showed great awareness and instinct.
I think you're born with it, it can't be trained or learnt.
Come at me, but it really impressed me

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Saint 58
Club Player

He reminds me of Robbie Flower

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
StPeter
Club Player

It would be ironical if Darcy goes on to win the Rising Star Award when Harley Reid gets knocked out because of his tackle on him.
And apparently they were mates in junior footy.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Robbie Flower is a much better shout

Hopefully he’s half as good

Darcy will never be a big guy, is light framed and an endurance animal - will always be lean - which is perfect as his 1 wood is running not being a contested beast

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wilson is going to be such a good player for the Saints. He's easily top 5 in his crop of players drafted.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We said that about Gresham after his first year

We said that about Phillipou

Takes 4 years to gauge a player

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2024 11:30pm One play vs Tigers in Gather Round, in the final few minutes- before his run down tackle.
It's at 04:35 remaining in the match.
He was chasing a loose ground ball in our D50, ended up prone on the ground between 2 very fast small Tigers.
Darcy didn't panic, one of the Tigers went to push him/hold him down so the other Tiger could pounce; Darcy had the composure to punch the ball directly to a team-mate (in fact there were 3 Saints in the clear!) and the 2 Tigers were caught by surprise.

Geez, it's only a minor thing to most folks, but to me it showed great awareness and instinct.
I think you're born with it, it can't be trained or learnt.
Come at me, but it really impressed me
It's funny how one act can do that. I remember BJ in 2003 (his 2nd game) we were playing Geelong at Telstra Dome and the ball was being fumbled by players on the half back line...BJ went into the pack and emerged with the footy, ran his full distance and delivered a 50m bullet pass to the chest of a leading G-Train.
Wonderful use of the footy. I turned to my Dad and said that we've got a special one here.