Hunter Clark!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Hunter Clark!

If the club wishes to play Sinclair in the midfield I think Clark is the best current option to replace him at 1/2 back.

Bonner lacks grunt and can be dodgy by foot, Clark has poise and wins his own footy.

Clark will never have the running capability of a top line mid but can certainly rotate through there.

Given his managed TOG he was probably short of a gallop and this is why he was not promoted sooner.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 4:51pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 4:24pm Watch Clark in close….its the deft little touches (no stars for those) that get the ball going our way
Several times bottom pack he’s got a hand on the footy dragging it our way
He’s a crafty player
If he gets his mate LDU to come ….hes even better …
Yes Teffers that hand on the ball at the bottom pack or congested possession has been a trade mark of his since he started with the Saints.
Amazing at times how he has the ability to have a hand on the the ball, keeping it stationary, whilst opponents are trying to push him off or tackle him & more often than not he is able to push the ball out or drag it to a position beneficial to the team. Strange how Clark can do this so often for a player who has spaghetti arms, & no strength for an AFL player eh?
Also IMO he has good core strength, usually able to stand up in a tackle & free his arms to get a handball off. May miss targets at times but that is another thing, at least he’s always thinking & trying to move the game on. Yep we have missed him. 🤞collision injuries are a thing of the past for him - he needs some luck 🍀
Good call on his strength- think he surprises a few Hunter
I read something previously that also said he’s one of the hardest tacklers at the club
That hand on the ball stuff at bottom of the pack was sorely missed against Freo - they were able to get it out the back time and again and take it away
He’s got attributes Clark that makes him a tad different to other mids….must keep for mine and looks at home as a contested mid.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 7:18pm
saynta wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 6:58pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 6:55pm Three players, Henry, Dow and Clark make a substantial difference. Our poor form over the last few weeks has a fair bit to do with their absence.
At last a sensible post.
f*** me! You really are bi-polar. Funny you call my post sensible, when you attribute our win to Enright coaching the second half. Even if Lyon could be seen obviously coaching the team.
You've also had the baseball bat out against the Coach for weeks, yet you seem to agree that having those three players out was a significant factor in our poor performances.
Forget about all the other injuries, where do you reckon we'd be sitting now if we had Henry, Dow and Clark available for all our games? Still 4-8? I'd say we'd be 6-6 at worst and possibly 7-5, maybe 8-4.
No one would be complaining then and there'd be little fuel for Kane Cornes' hyperbole.
How well are Geelong going with Dangerfield out? How well are Collingwood going with a few injuries? GWS lose Kelly, Coniglio, Tom Green isn't 100% and suddenly!
There has never been cause to panic given our shitful run with injuries which has hopefully come to an end. Our midfield looks better when the players we recruited to improve it are actually available, we're only an A grader short there and our forward connection needs work, hardly insurmountable.
He’s nuts bud has been for years
Go foe it’s a life saver!!
I’ve had t-shirts made…

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 6:55pm Three players, Henry, Dow and Clark make a substantial difference. Our poor form over the last few weeks has a fair bit to do with their absence.
At last a sensible post.
f*** me! You really are bi-polar. Funny you call my post sensible, when you attribute our win to Enright coaching the second half. Even if Lyon could be seen obviously coaching the team.
You've also had the baseball bat out against the Coach for weeks, yet you seem to agree that having those three players out was a significant factor in our poor performances.
Forget about all the other injuries, where do you reckon we'd be sitting now if we had Henry, Dow and Clark available for all our games? Still 4-8? I'd say we'd be 6-6 at worst and possibly 7-5, maybe 8-4.
No one would be complaining then and there'd be little fuel for Kane Cornes' hyperbole.
How well are Geelong going with Dangerfield out? How well are Collingwood going with a few injuries? GWS lose Kelly, Coniglio, Tom Green isn't 100% and suddenly!
There has never been cause to panic given our shitful run with injuries which has hopefully come to an end. Our midfield looks better when the players we recruited to improve it are actually available, we're only an A grader short there and our forward connection needs work, hardly insurmountable.
Thats just effing bulls*** as I hardly posted after most of our recent losers as I was pissed off with the lack of scoring and the outdated effing boring game plan.

Yesterdays first half was the straw that broke my back and while I had been willing to give the coach a fair go, I now realse the folly of that. The guy is a dud 15 years past his prime with outdated views on how the game should be played.

Certainly better players in the midfield would improve our chances for a win but Lyon doesn't appear to want to play them.Yesterday was an exception but he still could have also included Crouch who again was nearly BOG for Sandy.

You can agree with him on playing players not up to AFL standard but I can't.

And I can assure you that I'm not bi- polar and your insults are like water off a duck's back.See no insults here either.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 8:03pm
At last a sensible post.
Thats just effing bulls*** as I hardly posted after most of our recent losers as I was pissed off with the lack of scoring and the outdated effing boring game plan.

Yesterdays first half was the straw that broke my back and while I had been willing to give the coach a fair go, I now realse the folly of that. The guy is a dud 15 years past his prime with outdated views on how the game should be played.

Certainly better players in the midfield would improve our chances for a win but Lyon doesn't appear to want to play them.Yesterday was an exception but he still could have also included Crouch who again was nearly BOG for Sandy.

And I can assure you that I'm not bi- polar and your insults are like water off a duck's back.See no insults here either.
See this is the problem, you have LDS (Lyon Derangement Syndrome) this is similar to a condition called TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome), except a few here seem to be afflicted by the Ross Lyon version.
There was no great difference between the second and first half, excepting the tag on Reid and improving connection with our forward half. Our second quarter last week and some of the third wasn't too bad either. We didn't change the way we played in the second half, just executed better, thanks to some skillful players coming back.
Who's not up to AFL standard that are getting a game? And who does Crouch replace? Seb Ross is the only possibility.

loris
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 7:26pm If the club wishes to play Sinclair in the midfield I think Clark is the best current option to replace him at 1/2 back.

Bonner lacks grunt and can be dodgy by foot, Clark has poise and wins his own footy.

Clark will never have the running capability of a top line mid but can certainly rotate through there.

Given his managed TOG he was probably short of a gallop and this is why he was not promoted sooner.
Welcome back D.B.C 😜 Trust you had an enjoyable holiday?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought Clark was great in the middle. He knows how to extract the ball. Keep him there. He's a link player and is wasted at half back.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 8:26pm
At last a sensible post.

See this is the problem, you have LDS (Lyon Derangement Syndrome) this is similar to a condition called TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome), except a few here seem to be afflicted by the Ross Lyon version.
There was no great difference between the second and first half, excepting the tag on Reid and improving connection with our forward half. Our second quarter last week and some of the third wasn't too bad either. We didn't change the way we played in the second half, just executed better, thanks to some skillful players coming back.
Who's not up to AFL standard that are getting a game? And who does Crouch replace? Seb Ross is the only possibility.
You are entitled to your opinion on the game but I will stick to mine.

Oh, Collard, Caminiti and Sharman are not AFL standard players. And yes Crouch will certainly replace Seb at some stage,

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 9:45pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 8:26pm
At last a sensible post.

You are entitled to your opinion on the game but I will stick to mine.

Oh, Collard, Caminiti and Sharman are not AFL standard players. And yes Crouch will certainly replace Seb at some stage,
I've offered my opinion on Sharman in another thread, Sharman earned his early games on the basis of consistent good form last year. Collard is a first year rookie who has only played because of injuries and Caminiti is going ok for a big forward in his second season with one preseason under his belt.
By the way our E-Safety Commissioner is more dangerous than Trump, not to mention a c***.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He took Harley Reid a few times in the last quarter at centre bounces and did well. I thought his game was good for the first one this year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 7:26pm

Agreed. I think his main issue is still his strength and fitness. Going to require a lot more hard work to improve those

Like all players, Hunter will improve with consistent games. He’s talented and he’s a good decision maker

My reference point is finals. Finals are games where the pressure goes up a notch, especially for engine room

Hunter Clark performed well last year, even though he had an interrupted season

He also performed well in our 2 finals in 2020 but wasn’t playing as an inside mid back then

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

loris wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 8:42pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 7:26pm If the club wishes to play Sinclair in the midfield I think Clark is the best current option to replace him at 1/2 back.

Welcome back D.B.C 😜 Trust you had an enjoyable holiday?
Yes I did thank you loris 😁

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This is the most triggering post in this thread.

1/2 back just did my head in, thanks! Thankfully you didn't use 0.5 back.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BUMP

Hunter Clark was an important cog again last night

18 touches and mostly kicks. 300+ metres gained
10 contested. 4 clearances. 4 intercepts
6 score involvements...oh and 6 tackles

Both Dow and Clark look strong when it comes to the grunt work and winning first use from stoppages.

Second game for these guys playing together. DE above 70% for inside mids is good. Both low turnovers and zero clangers.

I think Clark along with Dow, Steele and Windy will be a very good combination.

We just need some luck for these guys to remain injury free...and Rowan Marshall to stay fit and healthy of course 😎😁

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Clark had another good game

#1 Ryder fan
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Clark looks like one of our rare players who can make a good decision and hit a target by foot 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Clark was ok/average for 2.5 quarters and stepped it up, particularly when it counted in the last with clean accurate possessions. Was great to see.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Always been a fanboy

Courageous and skilled

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Anybody see the incident near the boundary… don’t know when it was, maybe mid 2nd or 3rd

Clark was hovering round the grounded ball and instead of going down to get it right away… he kind of took an extra step and positioned himself in front of it as opposed behind it and then lead with his head down. At that exact moment, a GC mid charged through and kind of collected him waist to jaw and Clark went down hurt.

It wasn’t a bump per’se… it looked like Clark knelt down directly into the path of a running player.

My first instinct was that hurt his jaw again.

No free was called and he just shrugged it off

I was perplexed by the play all round

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyway, I thought Clark was dangerous last night, real dangerous.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hi everyone, I’ve made edits to this thread due to demand ++
Mod thread for more info

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 10:59am Anybody see the incident near the boundary… don’t know when it was, maybe mid 2nd or 3rd

Clark was hovering round the grounded ball and instead of going down to get it right away… he kind of took an extra step and positioned himself in front of it as opposed behind it and then lead with his head down. At that exact moment, a GC mid charged through and kind of collected him waist to jaw and Clark went down hurt.

It wasn’t a bump per’se… it looked like Clark knelt down directly into the path of a running player.

My first instinct was that hurt his jaw again.

No free was called and he just shrugged it off

I was perplexed by the play all round
thought the same thing.
my only fault with him is that he can be needlessly reckless at times

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I think Clark is going to be wonderful for us

They are bringing him on slowly (only 62% TOG last night)

Has strength, confidence and that invisible attribute time

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
spert
Saintsational Legend

Clark did ok, but lapsed in the third where Rowell got away from him and got CG back in the game. Probably best value is on the ball, linking up

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2024 11:22am Clark did ok, but lapsed in the third where Rowell got away from him and got CG back in the game. Probably best value is on the ball, linking up
I also quite like his fend off… does it very effectively