Let's Talk About the Elephant In the Room

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's Talk About the Elephant In the Room

Devilhead wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 2:14am Speaking of Bonner his speed is substandard

He is a plodder

Don't see him in our best 22
What does Bonner offer that Shoenmaker doesn’t?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 2:17am #2
Did Ross get sick at half-time and Corey took over coaching?

I was at the game but not paying attention at the 3 qtr-time break, to our huddle.

But Boris did the presser post-game.
If Boris coached the 2nd half, then maybe RTB changes job duties to 'Director of Coaching' like Mark Williams is doing, and Richo is doing at Dees.
Because Boris has been an assistant for ages and maybe time to be promoted.
Boris moved Windy onto Reid.
Boris got us to play with dare, flair, and gay abandon 🤣

I vote for Boris to be our senior coach.
Prove me wrong
I watched a replay of 2nd half later (after watching it all without sound). There is a fascinating clip of RTB being interviewed at half-time, where he said "yeah, Reid is getting too much of the ball. We will put Windy on him in the second half to take care of him and take him out of the game. Then, once we take care of Harley, we will get more drive from the centre and hopefully with better entry get a few more conversions" (words to that effect)
It was a perfect description of what he/they had constructed for the second half - and it played out exactly as predicted - excellent coaching!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 9:47am
Devilhead wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 2:14am Speaking of Bonner his speed is substandard

He is a plodder

Don't see him in our best 22
What does Bonner offer that Shoenmaker doesn’t?
Bonner is probably a bit better at ground level, also experience in a young side.

But on balance you'd take Shoenmaker right now.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bonner is a handy player and gets enough of the ball to stay in, the odd stuff-up isn't just limited to him. Shoemaker looks comfortable at VFL level, but until he gets senior game we will never know what to expect.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 10:27am
It was a perfect description of what he/they had constructed for the second half - and it played out exactly as predicted - excellent coaching!

I thought Lyon and his team coached really good, it's amazing what they can achieve when they have some talent at their disposal to execute the game plan much better.

I'd love to know what their thoughts are on how the game turned after King went out of the game, clearly they will be undertaking some in depth review of that part of the game.

Might be time to really have a deep think about Max's influence over the future plans.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 11:19am I'd love to know what their thoughts are on how the game turned after King went out of the game, clearly they will be undertaking some in depth review of that part of the game.
I didn't think it was that much of a difference in real time watching the game, but the scoreboard suggests otherwise.

King went off with a few minutes left in Q3. Our score up to 3QT was 7 goals 8 points. After that we kicked 5 goals 2 in a quarter.

It's not all Max King, but the forwards seemed to have a bit more space to work in without him.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 11:25am
Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 11:19am I'd love to know what their thoughts are on how the game turned after King went out of the game, clearly they will be undertaking some in depth review of that part of the game.
I didn't think it was that much of a difference in real time watching the game, but the scoreboard suggests otherwise.

King went off with a few minutes left in Q3. Our score up to 3QT was 7 goals 8 points. After that we kicked 5 goals 2 in a quarter.

It's not all Max King, but the forwards seemed to have a bit more space to work in without him.
Leigh Matthews said something interesting recently when talking about our forward line and said that sometimes if the forwarding isn't working well sometimes that can negatively impact the midfield and their decision making when trying to decide on the best option for delivery into F50 and said it can make players a bit too cautious and lose confidence.

I believe Max effects the players around him because the players have been influenced to believe he is the great white hope, the one they call WINX, he's meant to be our superstar in the forward line.

I reckon because he hasn't performed well for a very long time now and lived up to the great WINX mythology that there could possibly be resentment there or frustration and that is impacting the players negatively and the much desired "connection".

Crossy66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 11:19am

Max going off just upset the Eagles defensive match ups. They had no counter for mason dropping back. Ginbey couldn't go with him in the air and McGovern couldn't run with him hence the gates opening up . Max has been building the last 2 weeks

I thought Lyon and his team coached really good, it's amazing what they can achieve when they have some talent at their disposal to execute the game plan much better.

I'd love to know what their thoughts are on how the game turned after King went out of the game, clearly they will be undertaking some in depth review of that part of the game.

Might be time to really have a deep think about Max's influence over the future plans.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I was at the game but not paying attention at the 3 qtr-time break, to our huddle.

If Boris coached the 2nd half, then maybe RTB changes job duties to 'Director of Coaching' like Mark Williams is doing, and Richo is doing at Dees.

Prove me wrong
No fake news
Boris confirmed in presser Ross coached till the end
News articles today laud Lyon masterclass
Better get on board cause he’s our coach for the next few years like it or not

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Prove me wrong
I watched a replay of 2nd half later (after watching it all without sound). There is a fascinating clip of RTB being interviewed at half-time, where he said "yeah, Reid is getting too much of the ball. We will put Windy on him in the second half to take care of him and take him out of the game. Then, once we take care of Harley, we will get more drive from the centre and hopefully with better entry get a few more conversions" (words to that effect)
Exactly
That’s why I like Lyon - clear, methodical
Watched Boris press conference….sorry couldn’t string 2 sensible words together to explain what changed and why
I know who the coach is…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 11:25am

Ignore Vortex King hate he’s gone viral with it
What changed after half time??? Watch the game again I have
Midfield midfield midfield
Got on top, won clearance stopped Reid
Lyon injected NAS forward of the ball Sincs back
We got run overlap looked far more dangerous
Nothing to do with King
Who ironically hurt his knee after being clear for what should’ve been a lace out pass….only to have Bonner miss it completely

“Yeah….nah””
Killa
Club Player

And did Enright respond that as a Line Coach with those responsibilities his attention was on the section of the ground he is responsible for?

Listen before you offer opinion people

Otherwise egg meets face

And on performances at Sandringham and promotion prospects, I will await the Sandringham Coach’s summary

Noting the travelling emergencies to Perth

Killa
Club Player

Of interest to me was that Owens assumed the up the ground option in the last quarter, taking some strong and timely marks

This was one of Membrey’s signature contributions

Wood going forward saw a restructure, Wood moving from a up and back wing to a key forward

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 12:20pm
It's why it might be time for Ross to be ruthless and bold and look at a possible King trade, a straight swap for a gun mid.

King is built like a pretzel and I think his shoulder injury has robbed him of his aerial ability and why he struggles with aerial contests and bringing the ball to ground.

Hopefully Caminiti gets a run of games as our Key tall to see what he can do

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 2:44pm
It's why it might be time for Ross to be ruthless and bold and look at a possible King trade, a straight swap for a gun mid.

King is built like a pretzel and I think his shoulder injury has robbed him of his aerial ability and why he struggles with aerial contests and bringing the ball to ground.

Would we do the trade for Clayton Oliver and a 1st round pick?

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 2:49pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 2:44pm

Would we do the trade for Clayton Oliver and a 1st round pick?
Melbourne need a forward so probably a club that would see a trade as mutually beneficial. Don't think they would part with Oliver though and I'm not sure Oliver is without risk.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Mate you are living in La La land

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2024 9:49pm Shyte thread
Kings been battling well
Get sone decent midfield supply non issue
Guts is where we have work to do
We broke even at times today looked far more dangerous
King also looked good up the ground
Membrey to me isn’t a decent support act …
Watch Dogs with Ugle , Naughton allowing Darcy to get off the chain ..
king gets the best every week with no help
He’s fine
Unbelievable! Arse Clowns think our forward connection improved because King went off.
King would have had a bit of fun in the last quarter if he hadn't gone off.
Henry, Dow, Clark and NWM playing higher, what a difference a bit of skill and zip makes! But no, King's injury turned the game in some arse clown's view of the universe!
I fear Membrey's done. I think we've been playing with one big bloke too many in the forward line. It should just be King, Owens and one other, with 3 smalls.
Max Heath's form at Sandy is encouraging, he really is starting to kick on the door.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 3:20pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2024 9:49pm Shyte thread
Kings been battling well
Get sone decent midfield supply non issue
Guts is where we have work to do
We broke even at times today looked far more dangerous
King also looked good up the ground
Membrey to me isn’t a decent support act …
Watch Dogs with Ugle , Naughton allowing Darcy to get off the chain ..
king gets the best every week with no help
He’s fine
Unbelievable! Arse Clowns think our forward connection improved because King went off.
King would have had a bit of fun in the last quarter if he hadn't gone off.
Henry, Dow, Clark and NWM playing higher, what a difference a bit of skill and zip makes! But no, King's injury turned the game in some arse clown's view of the universe!
I fear Membrey's done. I think we've been playing with one big bloke too many in the forward line. It should just be King, Owens and one other, with 3 smalls.
Max Heath's form at Sandy is encouraging, he really is starting to kick on the door.
I agree
Don’t buy Vorts nonsense
We don’t need to trade King - we need to use him better and support him
I also agree Membrey is a poor support act - not big enough to demand attention, to inconsistent to be a credible threat…so all opposition attention goes to King ….sll iur players coming forward look for King …
IF King had Ugle Hagen ….a Harry McKay etc next to him …he’d be far more potent
Totally agree also on sone zip around the ball - Lyon made the point at half time we were stagnant from the back again, he identified it and changed it. Good coach.
I also think our mids git on top second half around stoppage ..makes a massive difference when you get 1st hands on the ball and stop chasing tail
Clark Dow v good - Steele got going Windy stopped the spoilt child
IF we had an LDU or 2 who could break away from congestion….we’d be a very different proposition and again King would have a field day
I also thought King up the ground worked again - he actually looks dangerous floating back into F50 id persist with that just a shame he lacks support

“Yeah….nah””
repta
Club Player

King cannot mark above his head.
His shoulder is so shot he doesn't have any faith in even putting his arm up to compete.

Yes we did better without him up there. But that was not a long term solution. I am a mason wood fan. But he is not a long term key forward. I think even he would agree with that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 4:13pm King cannot mark above his head.
His shoulder is so shot he doesn't have any faith in even putting his arm up to compete.

Yes we did better without him up there. But that was not a long term solution. I am a mason wood fan. But he is not a long term key forward. I think even he would agree with that.
Kings mark on wing above his head to our point McGovern looked ok to me..
where did this “King can’t mark above his head” theory come from ??
Are you a club Dr ??
I think we need to fact check that one..

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

King needs to play up the ground and stay out of F50 so both King and the team can find some form.

Use his skills which is his running ability, aerial marking, and ability to follow it up at ground level.

Playing up the ground will be like Jeremy Cameron and potentially take their best defender up the ground.

Have said it before and will say it to anyone who'll listen, the Hawkins/Cameron combination is the gold standard for Caminiti/King. Neither are as good as their counterparts, but both firing would be an important part of our next premiership side.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Well he took about 3 powerful contested grabs above his head.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think KIng is a great talent and will get only better and it would be dumb to trade him out. Just wait and see how he goes in a good side surrounded by gun players.

It’s important, though, that we don’t become too one dimensional by always going to him, particularly when he’s got two guys on him. In other words, build a functional forward line around him with multiple routes to goal.

If that means he plays at time as even a decoy and someone else gets the glory, I’m happy with that as long as we get the goals.

repta
Club Player

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2024 5:11pm

Well he took about 3 powerful contested grabs above his head.
He only took 2 marks for the game.

Watch his highlights. Everything above his head is not at full stretch, most get dropped or he doesn't get his hands up at all.