No injuries - No excuses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: No injuries - No excuses

The_Dud wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 12:39pm Collingwood has an injury list nearly as long as Richmond and should have beat Freo at home with 6 players having less than 10 games experience!

The excuse-makers and mediocrity-accepters on here and around the club have been using injuries and young players as "the reason" for a pitiful performance this year when infact its actually more to do with poor culture and low standards at the club.
DeGoey
Howe
McStay
Elliot

Four players out and no players coming in after long term injuries.

All teams win games like these once or twice. Sustain it over a long period then come pointing fingers.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 12:43pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 12:39pm Collingwood has an injury list nearly as long as Richmond and should have beat Freo at home with 6 players having less than 10 games experience!

The excuse-makers and mediocrity-accepters on here and around the club have been using injuries and young players as "the reason" for a pitiful performance this year when infact its actually more to do with poor culture and low standards at the club.
DeGoey
Howe
McStay
Elliot

All teams win games like these once or twice. Sustain it over a long period then come pointing fingers.
And on cue, a perfect illustration of my original point!

Couldn't have set it up better myself :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 12:48pm

DeGoey
Howe
McStay
Elliot

You have no clue though and you continually reach to take pot shots.

Did you go heap praise on the players when they defeated Collingwood when we had far more injuries than Collingwood has now?
DId you heap praise on Lyon last season when he made finals with minimal games from King Membrey and others?

We started behind the 8 ball with Sinclair, Butler, Clark, Crouch, Howard all doing little pre season. Its not an excuse its a reason.

But hey its easy to pot our club look like a hero.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 12:52pm

DeGoey
Howe
McStay
Elliot

Did you go heap praise on the players when they defeated Collingwood when we had far more injuries than Collingwood has now?
DId you heap praise on Lyon last season when he made finals with minimal games from King Membrey and others?

We started behind the 8 ball with Sinclair, Butler, Clark, Crouch, Howard all doing little pre season. Its not an excuse its a reason.

It's ok Curly, you've well and truly proven my point, you can stand down now!

:)

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:02pm

DeGoey
Howe
McStay
Elliot

You can't help yourself but be narcissistic. You get pleasure from us losing. Very odd.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair. Interrupted pre-season. Missed last 5 weeks of the preseason. Came in underdone. Missed game one

Crouch. Two surgeries in the off season. Played sore round one. Has not played since. Should return soon

Clark. His best preseason until he ripped a calf on week from round 1. Has not played AFL. Should return soon

Wood. Broken collarbone in round two. Missed six weeks.

Henry. Tore hamstring in round . Missed 7 weeks. getting close to full fitness now

Butler. Surgery in the off season. Missed a large chunk of preseason. Played one game where he tore his hamstring. Will probably take two more weeks to reach sufficient fitness

Dow. Knee injury late in the preseason. Missed 7 matches. Should reach peak fitness soon

Howard. Hamstring in the last preseason game. Missed 6 weeks. Came back via VFL. Has only played 4 games

Webster. 7 game suspension. Returned in round 8

Steele. Injured knee in round 6. Has been splaying sore and it shows. Prior to that was in fine form

None of those players will be at the level of aerobic fitness they were last year. Our first 8 weeks were cruelled by injury. We were playing with 6 to 8 players out. That has an impact.

If none of those injuries had occurred, I'm convinced the story would have been different. Fitness and continuity are critical.

So some can crow about our small injury list at present, but the damage was done from round 1 to 8. And we still have three important players building their fitness via the VFL. Crouch, Clark, and Butler would still make a huge difference to this team

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:15pm Sinclair. Interrupted pre-season. Missed last 5 weeks of the preseason. Came in underdone. Missed game one

Crouch. Two surgeries in the off season. Played sore round one. Has not played since. Should return soon

Clark. His best preseason until he ripped a calf on week from round 1. Has not played AFL. Should return soon

Henry. Tore hamstring in round . Missed 7 weeks. getting close to full fitness now

Butler. Surgery in the off season. Missed a large chunk of preseason. Played one game where he tore his hamstring. Will probably take two more weeks to reach sufficient fitness

Dow. Knee injury late in the preseason. Missed 7 matches. Should reach peak fitness soon

Howard. Hamstring in the last preseason game. Missed 6 weeks. Came back via VFL. Has only played 4 games

Steele. Injured knee in round 6. Has been splaying sore and it shows. Prior to that was in fine form

None of those players will be at the level of aerobic fitness they were last year. Our first 8 weeks were cruelled by injury. We were playing with 6 to 8 players out. That has an impact.

If none of those injuries had occurred, I'm convinced the story would have been different. Fitness and continuity are critical.

So some can crow about our small injury list at present, but the damage was done from round 1 to 8. And we still have three important players building their fitness via the VFL. Crouch, Clark, and Butler would still make a huge difference to this team
Fantastic post and correct on all counts.

Add to that two suspensions that pretty much could be argued cost us games. I mean King v Essendon in a 3 point loss and Higgins in the Hawks or Freo game does he change the results?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:15pm

DeGoey
Howe
McStay
Elliot

You can't help yourself but be narcissistic. You get pleasure from us losing. Very odd.
Amazingly enough I want to see our players and club improve so we win more games, I know this is a foreign concept to yourself!

Though you did almost manage to hit the nail on the head, but infact YOU are the one who wants to see us fail, because you weirdly get your rocks off by whinging about umpires, injuries, the draw, travel, weather, suspensions, AFL house, and on and on and on.

If we were winning you'd have none of that, and we'd probably never see you around here! (another reason I want to see succeed :D )

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:29pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:15pm

DeGoey
Howe
McStay
Elliot

Amazingly enough I want to see our players and club improve so we win more games, I know this is a foreign concept to yourself!

Though you did almost manage to hit the nail on the head, but infact YOU are the one who wants to see us fail, because you weirdly get your rocks off by whinging about umpires, injuries, the draw, travel, weather, suspensions, AFL house, and on and on and on.

If we were winning you'd have none of that, and we'd probably never see you around here! (another reason I want to see succeed :D )
Your constant negative attacks on our club is a disgrace.

Killa
Club Player

Why do you think pre seasons are so rigorous?

Simply, to build match fitness

If you miss a block of training including games your conditioning is compromised

It is not just getting over the injury and being cleared to play

It is everything that goes into your endurance, touch and confidence - and being best positioned to impact across the 100 minutes of football in games

No doubt the loss of the players who have missed across multiple of weeks then the time to regain endurance, touch and confidence has impacted this season - and more so when you look at those who have missed multiple weeks including across the pre season

Sometimes you would return to play a “blinder” but then the reality arrived and you struggled across weeks as you built endurance

And this could sap confidence

At this stage of a season you could assess that most players would be carrying some form of injury, not to the level of missing games but restrictive

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Hayes out 6 weeks - knee op

Corey 1- 3 weeks knee

saint4life
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:15pm Sinclair. Interrupted pre-season. Missed last 5 weeks of the preseason. Came in underdone. Missed game one

Not according to BM!
They all just need to man-up!!!

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

How’s this post looking???

Beaten tonight even after a golden handshake in the first half from the umpires.

With a 40 man squad injuries kill you.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2024 12:55am

Beaten tonight even after a golden handshake in the first half from the umpires.

Don't you know why Collingwood lost tonight?

Because the umpires cheated CURLY. You of all people should know that

:lol: 🤣

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

No injuries, but very light on for talent with experience and conditioning.

It's flawed logic to argue our current performance should be leveraged off our finish on the ladder postion in 2023. The reason why we won't be playing finals this year are becaue Lyon has taken tbe deliberate decision to rebuild and as such the player profile is under constant development.

Collingwood and Brisbane are both sliding because their player profiles are significantly different this season. In the case of Brisbane their whole balance was thrown out from the loss of one player in R1. These two teams perfectly illustrate how even the smallest of change in player profiles can have significant impact to remaining a top 4 and/or flag contender.

Now consider that example with a bottim to middle of the ladder team like us who are rebuilding meaning not only are there constant player changes, the changes are mostly introducing kids or new recruits, so the side is constantly far from settled and far from having adapted to all that needs to be adapted to.

It's a flawed argument to reference our 6th postion on the ladder in 2023. And that's without even introducing the argument we overachieved last year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess we Saints are used to excuses and mediocrity as part of the culture sadly.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2024 7:28am No injuries, but very light on for talent with experience and conditioning.
It's a good point and I believe it's the reason we fell off last year.

We hit round 1 at the level of fitness most teams aim to hit the finals. We had a huge injury list and whilst we got good players back, they didnt have the grueling 3 month preseason.

It's also hard to build that fitness over the season as the training loads are a lot lighter between games.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Post is looking great thanks Curly! :D

A decimated Collingwood team put up a fight against the Dogs.

What kind of fight did we put up against the Dogs..?

Stick to mediocrity Curly! And keep working on that list of excuses for todays game, I can’t wait to hear them… ha

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2024 8:00am

I guess we Saints are used to excuses and mediocrity as part of the culture sadly.
Yes unfortunately 👎

wally
Club Player

The depth will only get worse with Tassie coming in. Already talking of 20th team, worse again.
Poor (not rich) clubs like us I fear will fall away

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Don't forget our suspensions too. They have been extremely costly this season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2024 9:15am

Stick to mediocrity Curly! And keep working on that list of excuses for todays game, I can’t wait to hear them… ha
Why just use the WB game though?

What about the continued fight all last season to make finals with a huge injury list.

Also the games this year where we’ve been narrowly defeated

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2024 9:15am

Why just use the WB game though?

What about the continued fight all last season to make finals with a huge injury list.

Also the games this year where we’ve been narrowly defeated