A shout out to the Warriors!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A shout out to the Warriors!

Hey everyone… was thinking about this for some odd reason yesterday.

I’ve been on this site for just under 25 years and I am far from the elder statesman here. In fact, might not even make the top 10 and there are a lot of other forumites that have come on since and contributed a lot over many many years.

Though the activity level fluctuates over the years and it’s easy to point fingers at various personalities/posting habits etc the real killer is and always has been the onfield performance of the club…
And for a long time now, it’s been a killer.

From my earliest recollections from the 92’ish to around 2010… whilst there were ups and downs, we gave it a really good shake pretty regularly.

Many think we could have pinched a flag in 91-92 with a bit of luck. The wheels fell off at the last second in 97, 98 we had the best list with a bad culture.
04-06 was a super exciting period with arguably our greatest ever list and 08-11 was about as close as you can get without getting it done.

And then, for the last 15 years… it’s been misery. Mediocre lists, blundered first round picks, teams plagued by poor disposal and goal kicking… players getting hit with little remonstration… frequent BS tribunal calls, injuries +++.
The most notable highlights in all reality were the 70 point comeback v the WB and the final win in 2020 also against the dogs. That’s really it.

But like me… so many of you guys are still standing. Week after week, we watch the games, post about them, armchair quarter back it until it all sounds so easy. Many of us are long standing members, many have connections to the club, post news etc

We really are the absolute diehards. Frustrated as we get… our passion and desire is unshackable.

To everyone here that reads this… seasoned vet or newer on the scene… here’s a little 👊 from me to show my admiration and respect to us all. Nothing fair weather about us all and should the day ever come… no one will be cheering louder than we here.

Kudos to the survivors… or perhaps, the unshackables

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: A shout out to the Warriors!

lol good summary

I thought initially it was going to be a heads up about the sniping going on around here 😊

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Nice sentiments.
Once was warrior now mainly worrier.
But worry earnestly.

mickey
Club Player

Great post. We are the most loyal supporters and we all come on this forum for the same reason. Despite living in SA my family and my best friend's family all still support this club and we can't stand the Crows and Port. We're really frustrated but we will always continue to support them no matter what. Hopefully we get to come over one year for the biggest celebration ever seen at Linton Street.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 11:20am Hey everyone… was thinking about this for some odd reason yesterday.

I’ve been on this site for just under 25 years and I am far from the elder statesman here. In fact, might not even make the top 10 and there are a lot of other forumites that have come on since and contributed a lot over many many years.

Though the activity level fluctuates over the years and it’s easy to point fingers at various personalities/posting habits etc the real killer is and always has been the onfield performance of the club…

From my earliest recollections from the 92’ish to around 2010… whilst there were ups and downs, we gave it a really good shake pretty regularly.

Many think we could have pinched a flag in 91-92 with a bit of luck. The wheels fell off at the last second in 97, 98 we had the best list with a bad culture.
04-06 was a super exciting period with arguably our greatest ever list and 08-11 was about as close as you can get without getting it done.

And then, for the last 15 years… it’s been misery. Mediocre lists, blundered first round picks, teams plagued by poor disposal and goal kicking… players getting hit with little remonstration… frequent BS tribunal calls, injuries +++.
The most notable highlights in all reality were the 70 point comeback v the WB and the final win in 2020 also against the dogs. That’s really it.

But like me… so many of you guys are still standing. Week after week, we watch the games, post about them, armchair quarter back it until it all sounds so easy. Many of us are long standing members, many have connections to the club, post news etc

We really are the absolute diehards. Frustrated as we get… our passion and desire is unshackable.

To everyone here that reads this… seasoned vet or newer on the scene… here’s a little 👊 from me to show my admiration and respect to us all. Nothing fair weather about us all and should the day ever come… no one will be cheering louder than we here.

We have 3 weeks in October holidays booked each year - had to cancel them so far :(

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Well said skeptic!

Commitment to St Kilda FC requires an enormous amount of stoicism, the ability to withstand extended periods with little or no success.

I've often said to family, friends and supporters of other teams that Saints supporters are unique because unlike any other fans we have been awarded the rare academic distinction of honorary "Medicus in Dolore Consilium": "Doctorate in Grief Counselling", which entitles us to write "Med DC" after our names....

Having chalked up over 60 years as a Sainter I have not a single regret and retain absolute faith that our club will once again arrive in The Promised Land, as I see it within the next four years!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
older saint
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 11:20am Hey everyone… was thinking about this for some odd reason yesterday.

Definition of Insanity doing the same thing the same way and expecting a different result. Clearly science says we are all insane :D

mickey
Club Player

Do straight jackets come in saints colours ? Just asking for a friend .....

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It is what it is....we chose a team from an early age and stuck by it through thick and thin, thoughts of victory are always there but it isn't the defining reason why we support a particular team. You choose a path and those that stick to the path are of strong conviction.
It's all about loyalty , the friends you make and the sense of belonging...we aren't unique, most others are of similar stuff but i say most because some will actually swap allegiances when the wind is blowing in a favourable direction or choose a side that has a large following or successful at the time.
these types are not to be trusted.. :wink:
Others can scorn or laugh at our lot but those that do obviously don't fully appreciate or understand the concept of loyalty on the other hand many do and acknowledge it...
We are in it for keeps and I personally wouldn't swap it for anything.
I have always liked this forum despite a couple of plonkers on here but would probably enjoy a beer with any one of them at a game...well maybe not one :lol:

go you good things

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 6:29pm It is what it is....we chose a team from an early age and stuck by it through thick and thin, thoughts of victory are always there but it isn't the defining reason why we support a particular team. You choose a path and those that stick to the path are of strong conviction.
It's all about loyalty , the friends you make and the sense of belonging...we aren't unique, most others are of similar stuff but i say most because some will actually swap allegiances when the wind is blowing in a favourable direction or choose a side that has a large following or successful at the time.
Others can scorn or laugh at our lot but those that do obviously don't fully appreciate or understand the concept of loyalty on the other hand many do and acknowledge it...
I have always liked this forum despite a couple of plonkers on here but would probably enjoy a beer with any one of them at a game...well maybe not one :lol:

go you good things
:wink:

Some of us were born Sainters, no choice involved at all.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

My early days here was researching and analysing the 2001 draft. Prior to that I was on Sainters.com writing about Reiwoldt and Kosi the year prior

They were exciting days with top end elite talent coming in the door.

All I was doing in those days was really draft write ups

Funnily enough

I had us taking
Judd with pick 2
Hodge with pick 5

Wouldn’t that have been nice

I actually had Ball at 1, Judd 2, Polak 3, Sampi 4 and Hodge pick 5

I was on Dal Santo, Sam Power or Bytel for pick 13

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 6:50pm
I was on Dal Santo, Sam Power or Bytel for pick 13
You mean Bartel

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes Bartel

I was hoping he would get through to 13 due to a perceived lack of pace

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 6:33pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 6:29pm It is what it is....we chose a team from an early age and stuck by it through thick and thin, thoughts of victory are always there but it isn't the defining reason why we support a particular team. You choose a path and those that stick to the path are of strong conviction.

go you good things

Everyone has a choice - I gave Sainter_Boy a choice
Barrack for St Kilda, or
- Buy your own jumpers
- Won't go to the game with him unless his team is playing St Kilda
- Medallion Club Seats at St Kilda Games - GA for his team
- Won't take him to supplementary activities

But he had a choice!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Tough decisions for your son sainter dad 😊

Mine were a bit tougher..dad was a cheating wog fan
Going to princess park in the 50s was an eye opener 😉

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Great thread Skeptic

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 9:16pm
saynta wrote: Thu 30 May 2024 6:33pm

go you good things

Everyone has a choice - I gave Sainter_Boy a choice
Barrack for St Kilda, or
- Buy your own jumpers
- Won't go to the game with him unless his team is playing St Kilda
- Medallion Club Seats at St Kilda Games - GA for his team
- Won't take him to supplementary activities

But he had a choice!!!!
Hear what you say but really I was taken to the JO when I was still in a pram, as was my sister. My elder brother followed the Dees who the old man played for but he had no love for them after a knee injury cut short a very promising career. He played with Barrassi senior and Bluey Truscott who from memory were both killed in WW2.

I can still hear my sister calling out "Come on Peter Bennett" while sitting in her pram on the fence at the old oval.

After a footy clinic held by a mixture of Saints and Filth players my eldest daughter who was about 14 at the time asked me if I would mind if she started following the Woods.

I told her I wouldn't complain but she would have to find somewhere else to live. She still follows the saints to this day, as does one of her sons.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 30 May 2024 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

mmmmmmm

home is where the heart is

that was a good read Skeppers

ta

✔️

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Great OP Skeppers!

Saintsational is a significant part of the modern St Kilda history and hopefully it is preserved along with the club's existence for generations to come.

To that end Skeppers I just want to congratulate you on your moderation and the way you go about it, your style clearly works and I'd say that is largely due to you being a long standing, fair minded and respectful poster well before you took on the moderation role.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 31 May 2024 5:27am Great OP Skeppers!

Saintsational is a significant part of the modern St Kilda history and hopefully it is preserved along with the club's existence for generations to come.

To that end Skeppers I just want to congratulate you on your moderation and the way you go about it, your style clearly works and I'd say that is largely due to you being a long standing, fair minded and respectful poster well before you took on the moderation role.
Yes. A fantastic op...And also I agree that skeptic is doing a great job with proactively monitoring the forum and his moderation has been excellent.

I also want to acknowledge the previous moderators. I think their work over the years has helped to 'bend' and shape some of the behaviour from recalcitrants like you and I :mrgreen:

Saints58
Club Player

Yes we are all diehards I remember going to the U19-reses-seniors all at Moorabbin taking 2 buses up warragal road as a 17 year old
It was tough with no mates following the saints back in the 70s and getting a lot of crap of them but you stick at it.
My son is now a saint but I do suspect he at times is wavering its hard.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Fri 31 May 2024 1:47pm Yes we are all diehards I remember going to the U19-reses-seniors all at Moorabbin taking 2 buses up warragal road as a 17 year old
It was tough with no mates following the saints back in the 70s and getting a lot of crap of them but you stick at it.
My son is now a saint but I do suspect he at times is wavering its hard.
Would that be one Bus - a Ventura Bus - up Warrigal Road from Mentone or Oakleigh/Chadstone and then a Brown/Purple Bus up South Road

I am betting on Oakleigh/Chadstone - otherwise from Mentone it would be a train ride to Moorabbin station.

The Brown/Purple bus stopped right outside our front door off Old Dandenong Road - but I was always in Chelsea the night before the game - so it was a walk to the station - train to Moorabbin - then the bus (or walk) home.

With regards your son - I am guessing 30 something?

Seriously - he has seen some of the most consistently good football from the Saints - tough at times - but not like 70's 80's tough

My son is 20 something - and he is thankful for the better times of 04 / 05 and 09 / 10 etc

― Aristophanes