Deck chairs on the titanic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Deck chairs on the titanic

While the concept throw the magnets around and try to generate something new , especially through the midfield sounds great, if you don't have the points of difference or they aren't performing or ready then it is a useless exercise which causes more harm than good.

As I see it Henry, Clark, Owens and Poo are really the only changes to the mid set up which provide a point of difference. Henry has done ok, Clark should come back in now, Owens needs to improve his tank and Poo just out of form at the moment. Garcia seems more like a HF, Hastie a HF and Wilson a wing .

Ross, Steele, Crouch , Windy are all tough inside mids. Jones in the past provided zip but he is past it and has had a few chances which haven't been grabbed. Brynes has speed but when he plays seems better on the wing. Nas is a weapon off HB and that is his long term position so little benefit to look to put him in there. Sinclair goes makes a difference around the ground but not really at clearance.

Stocker has made a few appearances but is again an inside tough mid without spread. I am not sure what Dow is yet but it will show over the next month I guess.

We just need to be patient on this as we don't have the cattle to flip things around and discover a hidden gem.
Must re-sign Battle

Top 4 pick and hunt LDU.

Trade options:
- Howard - North have no talls so may get a late 20s pick for him
- Clark - prefer to keep but does have some value at this stage probably 3rd rounder
- Crouch - would a premiership contender be willing to give up a mid 30s pick for someone who could do a Michell at Collingwood role?
- Membrey - Prefer not to but a contender may give a pick around 30 if they feel he could be the difference - Hawkins likely gone from Geelong EOY, Melbourne have no forwards,
- Webster - Age may see him worth a 3rd rounder perhaps
- Butler - Could get a 2nd rounder at the right club needing a small forward

Beyond that i see no or minimal value in Jones, Sharman, Brynes, Paton,

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Deck chairs on the titanic

You are joking re Howard. You'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick. The guy runs like a crab and can't hold his feet. Pathetic.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
repta
Club Player

Yes definitely need to get something out of the second half of this year. I would try NMW in the centre. Might add some zip to an otherwise stagnant midfield. Who at the moment is going to gather (or accept) and run. Most of our midfield brigade are slower than my grandpa getting off the couch.

Trade options:
- Howard - North have no talls so may get a late 20s pick for him - Deal done. More like late 30s. Is the second backman and turns it over too much
- Clark - prefer to keep but does have some value at this stage probably 3rd rounder
- Love the enthusiasm. Cant break into a bottom 4 team that has chronic midfield issues. Is more brittle than bone china and slower than treacle.
- Crouch - would a premiership contender be willing to give up a mid 30s pick for someone who could do a Michell at Collingwood role?
- Saints need onfield leaders and battering rams. Is worth keeping and running out his time (what 2 years left at most?)
- Membrey - Prefer not to but a contender may give a pick around 30 if they feel he could be the difference - Hawkins likely gone from Geelong EOY, Melbourne have no forwards,
- Has been playing like a 38 year old and not a 28 year old. Not sure where his head is at but it doesnt seem to be on the game.
- Webster - Age may see him worth a 3rd rounder perhaps
Limited time left in at AFL level. His actions would indicate that he is becoming frustrated and knows the end is coming.
- Butler - Could get a 2nd rounder at the right club needing a small forward
The saints are crying out for a small forward. Someone to park under King.

Beyond that i see no or minimal value in Jones, Sharman, Brynes, Paton,
- - no value. Plenty of oithers to add to that list.

Battle is the only one with real value. However typical StKilda. Offering Weitering an eye watering $1.5m a year yet under values Battle.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 3:30pm

Battle is the only one with real value. However typical StKilda. Offering Weitering an eye watering $1.5m a year yet under values Battle.
Other than Sam Mclure, a Carlton tragic, is anybody reporting that we actually made an offer to Weitering?
Maybe we just 'sounded him out' like our Llist people should be doing to every player who is available?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why do we think average player older than 28 are worth anything

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 4:49pm Why do we think average player older than 28 are worth anything
I’ve no idea. The only players we have that would be worth much in a trade are Marshall, Wilkie, NWM, King, maybe Sinclair and Steele (but they’re getting on) and then we’re looking at young guys like Wilson and Philippou.Battle would be worth something if he wasn’t about to become a free agent.

The rest are in the “tell ‘em they’re dreamin’” category.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The alleged offer to often injured and no longer relatively young Weitering is a serious signal to Dougs. I imagine he is trying hard right now and feeling unloved. Although we are supposed to love all our deck chairs equally.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

IMO offering Howard to a club cheaply to ward off a bid for Battle is a viable strategy. But I wouldn't want to get rid of him for next to nothing. We have had no success with developing our own key defenders from the draft.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If we get compensation for Battle I'm ok with losing him. I think he's more easily replaced than Howard

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 6:38pm IMO offering Howard to a club cheaply to ward off a bid for Battle is a viable strategy. But I wouldn't want to get rid of him for next to nothing. We have had no success with developing our own key defenders from the draft.
Sam fisher probably the last? We’ve brought in so many from other clubs over the years.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Reply to older saint
No need to quote- it's the first post.

Not one of his trade options will get any interest from anyone, even Norf.

They're all purely depth and would never break into any team unless that team was decimated by injuries.

The fact they're best 25 for us (when in form) is irrelevant.
Don't @ me about Clark. That guy has been cruelled by bad luck and injuries. He's the only one who might get interest from Hawks or Norf, but they'd offer peanuts

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee