"As far from a flag as anyone in the league"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

"As far from a flag as anyone in the league"

Cheapshot Cornes and Matthew "Mensa" Lloyd have now got us as far from a flag as any club in the league.

Personally, considering our tough draw, injury list and close losses, I would ahve thought a couple of weeks ago that we could get back into top-eight contention pretty quickly, if not this year but certainly next.

Nevertheless there's no doubt that some of our most promising talent have stagnated or gone backwards. But is it enough to justofy the gloom and doom peddled out by our esteemed footy gurus? Llyod even said our list was worse than North's.

SIDE NOTE: RTB's best teams had a powerful CHF (Riewoldt and Pavlich). And it's the half-forward line where we're breaking down now. Perhaps someone (Schoenmaker?) should be groomed for that role?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: "As far from a flag as anyone in the league"

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 7:18pm Cheapshot Cornes and Matthew "Mensa" Lloyd have now got us as far from a flag as any club in the league.

Personally, considering our tough draw, injury list and close losses, I would ahve thought a couple of weeks ago that we could get back into top-eight contention pretty quickly, if not this year but certainly next.

Nevertheless there's no doubt that some of our most promising talent have stagnated or gone backwards. But is it enough to justofy the gloom and doom peddled out by our esteemed footy gurus? Llyod even said our list was worse than North's.

SIDE NOTE: RTB's best teams had a powerful CHF (Riewoldt and Pavlich). And it's the half-forward line where we're breaking down now. Perhaps someone (Schoenmaker?) should be groomed for that role?
King can play that role.
And you left out suspensions. We've had the most in the league this season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Honestly who listens to Lloyd?
He parrots Cornes and can barely stutter a sentence together
He’s an A grade fcwit
Still dirty no one “called him” to mentor Max
Why??
The guys a sad Essenscum apologist who just cheerleads them
I turn off when this twit starts spluttering…actually I haven’t turned that drinker on for some time..

“Yeah….nah””
cps
Club Player

Cornes is a "sport shock jock" and Lloyd is possibly the least intelligent "football analyst" currently going around, and that's saying something.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

It has dawned on me recently that we will need to rebuild through the draft due to our inability to attract high end talent through FA or trade. This can take decades as evidenced by Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Carlton in recent times. So it seems we are still quite aways off it.

I still have west coast as comfortably the furtherst away from a flag though. Have a look at their mids, spine and best 22 playing every week its the oldest in the comp. In saying that they will probably beat us this weekend with a vastly older and more experienced outfit.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We deserve criticism

Don’t sook it up when it comes

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 9:20pm We deserve criticism

Fair enough.

Doesn't change fact Lloyd was a gutless sniper and will always be one. Surely his head is on TV because it's photogenic not for what comes out of his bobble head clown gob.
Pretty relief for craggy anorexic marathon man Cornsey. Port to the core. If he wasn't appealing to the Collingwood/Carlton bumpkins by way of manufactured controversy he'd be flogging used cars for dad. Shameless and arrogant to the max. Has a set against Ross. But what's new.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

How can anyone have a set against Ross?
bloke must be nuts!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 9:14pm It has dawned on me recently that we will need to rebuild through the draft due to our inability to attract high end talent through FA or trade. This can take decades as evidenced by Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Carlton in recent times. So it seems we are still quite aways off it.

I still have west coast as comfortably the furtherst away from a flag though. Have a look at their mids, spine and best 22 playing every week its the oldest in the comp. In saying that they will probably beat us this weekend with a vastly older and more experienced outfit.
I've always believed this .
We've never gotten an A grader into the club whose body hasn't been stuffed .
We've picked up some players who've developed into A graders e.g. J.Steele .
We desperately need the best young mids we can get from the draft .

In red white and black from 73
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 9:36pm
B.M wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 9:20pm We deserve criticism

Fair enough.

Doesn't change fact Lloyd was a gutless sniper and will always be one. Surely his head is on TV because it's photogenic not for what comes out of his bobble head clown gob.
Pretty relief for craggy anorexic marathon man Cornsey. Port to the core. If he wasn't appealing to the Collingwood/Carlton bumpkins by way of manufactured controversy he'd be flogging used cars for dad. Shameless and arrogant to the max. Has a set against Ross. But what's new.
I concur
What's worse than Lloyd burbling on about the dons when their losing ?
Smugly Burbling on about them when they're second on the ladder .

In red white and black from 73
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

We have the worst and slowest midfield in the league. Dow gives us some speed and we loose Windy to tagging. Should be winning his own ball. Fix this and we will improve. Our backs are serviceable, and we need another tall forward that is good that can take the pressure away from King. Sharman/Membrey too small and not potent enough.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Truth hurts. 🥲

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 10:00pm
Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 9:14pm It has dawned on me recently that we will need to rebuild through the draft due to our inability to attract high end talent through FA or trade. This can take decades as evidenced by Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Carlton in recent times. So it seems we are still quite aways off it.

Me too
There’s some dumb shytes on here but most get it
I said 4 years ago on “Torn” thread under Richo we needed to hit the draft ….i liked a tank at the time…the doo gooders jumped out and said “you’ll ingrain a losing culture…it’d be a disaster “ I wasn’t suggesting North type tank but a Hawks year or 2 down to get sone cream …here we are …zero elite mids who can run from stoppage or kick a goal …
Bassett came out (Footy Classified played it Monday night) and acknowledged (when he signed Lyon) that we may go back to go forwards- he’s right and we do.
That’s the reason I back Lyon in - not the blind man-love BM has for him but because he’s the most experienced operator out there who will put the standards, football department in place that we need to build off.
That doesn’t mean he’s our next Premiership coach
Anyway, great to hear Bassett is pissing AFL HQ off about northern academies etc good on him he knows we have to shake the tree if we are going to any access to talent
Ross and the team now…just have to stay down …if he was a boxer …I’d throw the towel in …get the picks
List has gaping holes and a soft draw last year masked that

“Yeah….nah””
seano1
Club Player

The club board has totally screwed us with this ….as one other guy pointed out on here we should have accepted were we were at bout 8 yrs -10yrs ago and just draft draft draft till we got the mix right …..we have wasted those picks on getting broken guys just to try and get to finals, now those hacks are gone and we need to now have to hit the draft for next few yrs to get anywhere. At 67 i don’t think i will ever ever see them in a winning gf or a losing one .

nefron55
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 12:06am
mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 10:00pm

Me too
There’s some dumb shytes on here but most get it
I said 4 years ago on “Torn” thread under Richo we needed to hit the draft ….i liked a tank at the time…the doo gooders jumped out and said “you’ll ingrain a losing culture…it’d be a disaster “ I wasn’t suggesting North type tank but a Hawks year or 2 down to get sone cream …here we are …zero elite mids who can run from stoppage or kick a goal …
Bassett came out (Footy Classified played it Monday night) and acknowledged (when he signed Lyon) that we may go back to go forwards- he’s right and we do.
That’s the reason I back Lyon in - not the blind man-love BM has for him but because he’s the most experienced operator out there who will put the standards, football department in place that we need to build off.
That doesn’t mean he’s our next Premiership coach
Anyway, great to hear Bassett is pissing AFL HQ off about northern academies etc good on him he knows we have to shake the tree if we are going to any access to talent
Ross and the team now…just have to stay down …if he was a boxer …I’d throw the towel in …get the picks
List has gaping holes and a soft draw last year masked that
Completely agree. Club has been openly trying to maximize our draft hand in recent years and its our best chance at improving our long term prospects.

And it was hilarious hearing Caro say on Footy Classified that our complaints to AFL house about academies etc could be read as us whinging about things being unfair against us, only to have Hinkley and Scott publicly issue the same complaints (with some venom tbh) on AFL 360 that night.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Didn't take them long to get the knives out.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

As I keep saying, the Finnis era screwed us!

People canonise him for moving us back to Moorabbin and being an all-round nice guy, but that is the pinnacle of his long serving legacy.

He treated the fans like we were gullible fools (calling us a “destination club” when no decent FA wanted to touch us), backed in an inadequate football operations department and allowed Trout to roll the dice on our number 1 pick - the one pick we could NOT afford to get wrong.

Bad management is bad management
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

On the "go back to go forward", I could swallow this if it was last year. But we seem to have gone forward to go backwards.

That's arse about if I've ever seen it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Seems fair enough.

Why do some supporters constantly want to play the victim?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I actually think WCE are ahead of us in terns of rebuilding as they have been at it now for a few seasons.

With regards to how to rebuild, I agree that a poor club like ours has only one option and that is the long hard road via the national draft.

But also it is important that all supporters write to Bassett and implore him to ramp up the pressure on lobbying the AFL to change the accademy rules.

Access to talent is the club's single biggest issue....not a coach.

Write to the Prez today.

wally
Club Player

It is what it is.
Seems Lyon’s honeymoon period is done with the media.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 10:15am

I actually think WCE are ahead of us in terns of rebuilding as they have been at it now for a few seasons.

With regards to how to rebuild, I agree that a poor club like ours has only one option and that is the long hard road via the national draft.

But also it is important that all supporters write to Bassett and implore him to ramp up the pressure on lobbying the AFL to change the accademy rules.

Write to the Prez today.
Agree with everything you have said except wce, good on ya for getting in the presidents ear, the academies are a joke, particularly the Gold Coast one which is now well and truly AFL heartland. Southport sharks are the biggest and richest club outside of the AFL and that entire region is AFL mad.

Re wce: darling, Kelly, yeo, gaff, McGovern, sheed, Cripps, hunt, barass all best 22 players set to retire in the next 2-3 years. Outside of Reid and maybe Hough, they have no young talent coming through that has shown anything. There bounce back this season has been largely attributable to the above mentioned veterans being fit and out on the park.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 9:55am Seems fair enough.

Why do you always hope you can sink the boots in?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 10:15am

Write to the Prez today.
can we see a copy of your correspondence please ?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 10:47am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 9:55am Seems fair enough.

Why do you always hope you can sink the boots in?
Do you realise this weekend we'll be battling to stay 15th on the ladder..?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.