Leadership group

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Leadership group

Otiman wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 9:31pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:59pm That 'system' was obviously born under Grant Thomas. Great leadership is empowering individuals to become leaders themselves

Grant gave trust and confidence and guidance. He mentored our young recruits.
This is a great take, and I have a few things I'd like to unpack in response to it.

1. Success or otherwise of a playing group is a reflection of the coaches throughout their career. Players that have been through Richo and Ratten are a product of their coaching. A new coach doesn't untrain that period in their career. It's why players that have come in from outside of our team have risen to the top quickly despite 3 changes of coach, and also why a new coach doesn't make a non competitive team competitive immediately.

2. Ross is clearly a micromanager, and Ross v1.0 and v2.0 were not the empowering leadership type. It remains to be seen if 'cuddly' Ross v3.0 can be the empowering, trusting coach he needs to be.

3. Ratts was the trusting, empowering leader but lacked the accountability and desire for elevated standards that Ross and GT have.

4. The GT archetype of leader is what the club needs during a rebuild, but not necessarily as the match day coach. I think we have that in DC, would like to see him more involved in leadership.

5. The role of the head coach is 80% team building and 20% strategy. If Ross can get a good group of assistants to handle the strategy, he can focus on the team building. It's not the best example but the Hinkley/Carr arrangement is one of the clearer setups in the league.
Who is DC ?

loris
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 12:20am
Otiman wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 9:31pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:59pm That 'system' was obviously born under Grant Thomas. Great leadership is empowering individuals to become leaders themselves

Grant gave trust and confidence and guidance. He mentored our young recruits.
This is a great take, and I have a few things I'd like to unpack in response to it.

1. Success or otherwise of a playing group is a reflection of the coaches throughout their career. Players that have been through Richo and Ratten are a product of their coaching. A new coach doesn't untrain that period in their career. It's why players that have come in from outside of our team have risen to the top quickly despite 3 changes of coach, and also why a new coach doesn't make a non competitive team competitive immediately.

2. Ross is clearly a micromanager, and Ross v1.0 and v2.0 were not the empowering leadership type. It remains to be seen if 'cuddly' Ross v3.0 can be the empowering, trusting coach he needs to be.

3. Ratts was the trusting, empowering leader but lacked the accountability and desire for elevated standards that Ross and GT have.

4. The GT archetype of leader is what the club needs during a rebuild, but not necessarily as the match day coach. I think we have that in DC, would like to see him more involved in leadership.

5. The role of the head coach is 80% team building and 20% strategy. If Ross can get a good group of assistants to handle the strategy, he can focus on the team building. It's not the best example but the Hinkley/Carr arrangement is one of the clearer setups in the league.
Who is DC ?
Oophs, worked it out - Damien Carrol

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Players are not products of coaches

Coaches are products of players

The best coach in the AFL is not Clarkson, Scott, Lyon 0r McRae

It’s the one with the best players available

At the moment that is Longmire