RTB 's presser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: RTB 's presser

B.M wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:26pm Am I an itk am I?

I express opinions - I have those - you on the other hand are an apologist

That’s ok

If you are not smart enough to form your own opinion- it’s fair enough to conform to what you think is a supreme leader

I think that’s how weak minded people ended up in cults - following leaders who promised so much
Opinions?
You don’t have opinions…you have out dated, after the fact cliches 🤣
Let’s not try to dress em up as “your opinion”
Anyway, you made a big claim a big player was leaving us…who is it??

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 9:28pm Ridiculous thinking!!!

Robert Harvey plays an average game - he is still a champion

Credits are there for a reason

Cooper Sharman plays a poor game - it might signify that he’s not up to it - he hasn’t consistently achieved

Jack Steele plays a poor game, it’s just that a poor game - he’s a dual AA and over a long period of time he has performed
There was no one harder on Harvey than himself when he had a s*** game. That's why he is a champion.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 11:00pm
B.M wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 9:28pm Ridiculous thinking!!!

Robert Harvey plays an average game - he is still a champion

Credits are there for a reason

Cooper Sharman plays a poor game - it might signify that he’s not up to it - he hasn’t consistently achieved

Jack Steele plays a poor game, it’s just that a poor game - he’s a dual AA and over a long period of time he has performed
There was no one harder on Harvey than himself when he had a s*** game. That's why he is a champion.
Correct
I see Blues just roll Dees ..and we had this mob almost 5 goals down at HT….
Suspect with a few smart recruits injecting sone run/foot skills/carry into our midfield…we could be allright
As Ross said…we are ok in front n behind the ball … midfield is where it’s at

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 2:22pm
Saint2 wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 11:50am I don't think things are totally hunky-dory between some in the playing group and Lyon. The jury is out for me. Ratts probably would have had us in the finals last season if it wasn't for injuries. Things do change rapidly in pro sport.
100% Ratts would have coached them to finals last year if we didn't have the significant injuries we had last year, and the year before that.

Richo also would have made finals but had significant injury issues also.

And Lyon would have gotten us to finals this year if he didn't have injuries.

Anyone spotting a pattern?

It's the same issue since Richo was coach.

....being we are a poor club that will always struggle to put together a list over a sustainable period, whether it be due to lack of talent, or lack of resources to keep a list healthy.

Looking forward to seeing Lyon's magic trick, hopefully we keep him around for the long haul and give him resources to match the rich clubs.

Or let's stay stuck in the mouse wheel and keep blaming and sacking coaches when Fox Footy tells us to.
RTB should never have been reappointed in the first place.

Bad move , like a drowning man clutching at straws imagining that they are strongly rooted.

Turns out that it was just a strawman after all, with a history of failure at the final jump.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 11:43am RTB should never have been reappointed in the first place.

Bad move , like a drowning man clutching at straws imagining that they are strongly rooted.

Turns out that it was just a strawman after all, with a history of failure at the final jump.
Or a circuit breaker the club and players needed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:13pm
B.M wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:09pm History will remember Jack Steele as a champion of the StK FC
History remembers Robert Harvey as a Champion
Nick Maxwell as a Premiership player
I’m not into individual memories
I’m after a flag
You keep idolising players
Let RTB get on with moulding a side that can get there …again …he’s done it 3 times ..I’ll back him
While you just idolise a 4 times failed coach. :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 11:47am
saynta wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 11:43am RTB should never have been reappointed in the first place.

Or a circuit breaker the club and players needed.
:wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:30pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:28pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 5:14pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 2:28pm
Saint2 wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 11:50am I don't think things are totally hunky-dory between some in the playing group and Lyon. The jury is out for me. Ratts probably would have had us in the finals last season if it wasn't for injuries. Things do change rapidly in pro sport.
100% Ratts would have coached them to finals last year if we didn't have the significant injuries we had last year, and the year before that.

....being we are a poor club that will always struggle to put together a list over a sustainable period, whether it be due to lack of talent, or lack of resources to keep a list healthy.

Looking forward to seeing Lyon's magic trick, hopefully we keep him around for the long haul and give him resources to match the rich clubs.

Or let's stay stuck in the mouse wheel and keep blaming and sacking coaches when Fox Footy tells us to.
Difference is Richo/Ratten propped up the list with ring-ins from other clubs to stay competitive while telling the Board we were smidgeon off top 4…
Ross doesn’t have to worry bout that …
1 year into his 4 year contract which was labelled the exploration year, discovery follows exploration so that is year 2….what will year 3 be?
The year for the narcissistic fan boys. :lol:
Hello here’s Pavlov’s dog having a crack at Firey our RTB fanboy prez …he’ll be p!ssed at you …
But you chatting with your little internet friends again…how cute..
:evil: :wink: 8-)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 11:43am

RTB should never have been reappointed in the first place.

yeah as I say, it's never just been the coach's fault for a long time, especially back to the Ratts and Richo eras, Watters probably being the last genuine dud, and Tim after that, but Richo and Ratts could coach as can Ross.

So I remain cynical that this club will ever get all of the parts working effectively.

So I'll keep saying, Roos is a good coach, but what is his magic trick for procuring a critical mass of talent and then having adequate resources to develop it AND,...AND this is a big AND, keep the list healthy and available on match day. The latter being a massive deficiency of the clubs for a very very long time.

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Preseason “EXPERTS” view of the Saints.

Not one of the “EXPERTS” had us top 8, many bottom 3.

Most of the optimistic fans on here had us 8-12 from memory.

PS. Means nothing, just killing time to first bounce.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/881017/crys ... son-are-in
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Sun 13 Aug 2023 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 12:19pm [bbvideo][/bbvideo]Preseason “EXPERTS” view of the Saints.

Not one of the “EXPERTS” had us top 8, many bottom 3.

Most of the optimistic fans on here had us 8-12 from memory.

PS. Means nothing, just killing time to first bounce.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/881017/crys ... son-are-in
I had us finishing 6th and I might still be right. Fingers still crossed.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 11:53am

Difference is Richo/Ratten propped up the list with ring-ins from other clubs to stay competitive while telling the Board we were smidgeon off top 4…
1 year into his 4 year contract which was labelled the exploration year, discovery follows exploration so that is year 2….what will year 3 be?
Hello here’s Pavlov’s dog having a crack at Firey our RTB fanboy prez …he’ll be p!ssed at you …
Just ignore this ignorant and boring troll.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 12:42pm

I think I will, but it's missus troll. Explains a lot really. :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

listening to Carlton fans ruing the selection of Voss early in the season has some parallels here.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I’m rooting for him but the jury will be out for a while yet. That’s just the way it goes.

😇

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 1:51pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 12:42pm

I think I will, but it's missus troll. Explains a lot really. :wink:
They just can’t hit a target.

Safest place on earth.

8-)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 2:10pm I’m rooting for him but the jury will be out for a while yet. That’s just the way it goes.
Yeah the emotion of it all is really rather fascinating to watch.

I have absolutely no idea how I’ve found myself in the position of least critical of RTB amongst the masses…
But this commentary I’m reading of how he’s lost the players, set the club back a decade, taken steps towards the final destruction on the club etc is quite mind blowing.

Apparently the hate isn’t emotionally driven but I’ve never read such harsh critiques for the first year of the coach, that came off a year that missed finals, whose team’s worst position for the year 21 rounds in has been 8th and that’s only as the last game of the round. Could be back up to 6th in a few hours.
And all that with a pretty injury ravaged list.

I’d have thought by all metrics that it’s been a pretty reasonable year based on expectations minus a real bad patch of form that has still seen us win the odd game.

My read on it is that you have a couple of major detractors that has seen Teffers really up the ante of support. I would say that support has been more prevalent to the point that a lot of the more neutral forumites are just annoyed by the intensity of it…
And now we have a whole bunch of forumites largely squaring off against each other rather than the actual question, the conversation is spreading like wild fire from thread to thread.

Hopefully a win today will soothe the savage beasts for a day or two at least

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Good observation skeptic

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

One of the more juicy subplots today will be how Steele performs, Ross appeared to send him a few messages in yesterdays presser, words to the effect of "Steele overplayed it a little bit", and looking to get Steele back to "his best", and the most poignant of comments was "just light us up a bit".

Hopefully he can respond and "light us up a bit" with some being first to the ball which will mean his tackle count will go down but at least if he can be first use of the ball and drive us forward with his kicking and also attack the goals when the opportunity presents.

Clearly Ross has put it on him so lets see how the Captain responds.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 2:26pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 2:10pm I’m rooting for him but the jury will be out for a while yet. That’s just the way it goes.

I have absolutely no idea how I’ve found myself in the position of least critical of RTB amongst the masses…
But this commentary I’m reading of how he’s lost the players, set the club back a decade, taken steps towards the final destruction on the club etc is quite mind blowing.

Apparently the hate isn’t emotionally driven but I’ve never read such harsh critiques for the first year of the coach, that came off a year that missed finals, whose team’s worst position for the year 21 rounds in has been 8th and that’s only as the last game of the round. Could be back up to 6th in a few hours.

I’d have thought by all metrics that it’s been a pretty reasonable year based on expectations minus a real bad patch of form that has still seen us win the odd game.

My read on it is that you have a couple of major detractors that has seen Teffers really up the ante of support. I would say that support has been more prevalent to the point that a lot of the more neutral forumites are just annoyed by the intensity of it…
And now we have a whole bunch of forumites largely squaring off against each other rather than the actual question, the conversation is spreading like wild fire from thread to thread.

It's moronic, the focus on the coach is tedious and boring, how anyone can genuinely believe our issues are solely coach-based.

What I wonder though is does accountability not get directed at the right people with this coach-focused entertainment model?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 2:52pm

It's moronic, the focus on the coach is tedious and boring, how anyone can genuinely believe our issues are solely coach-based.

What I wonder though is does accountability not get directed at the right people with this coach-focused entertainment model?
Especially at this point. I do genuinely believe that there comes a point where you can get a bit of sense of what a coach is really about in terms of strategy, long term view, dynamism etc. At that point you can look at whether they’ve done well with what they’ve had and if it’s worth persevering with their plan. That ain’t 21 games in.

On the second part of your point… Accountability by who?
If it’s the club I would surely yes.

If you mean this forum… I’d say it doesn’t really matter because we’re not a real entity but rather a dispirit ground of individuals with varied experiences, agendas, emotional states etc and we are no consequence or influence

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The vitriol is just as irrational as the blind faith.

I don’t think the vitriol and negative comments directed towards the boss have been anywhere as toxic as what Carlton supporters dished out towards Voss on both their footy chat boards and talk back radio. It was disgusting. Apples and oranges.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 3:39pm

The vitriol is just as irrational as the blind faith.

I don’t think the vitriol and negative comments directed towards the boss have been anywhere as toxic as what Carlton supporters dished out towards Voss on both their footy chat boards and talk back radio. It was disgusting. Apples and oranges.

Feels like a moral victory

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 3:06pm

Especially at this point. I do genuinely believe that there comes a point where you can get a bit of sense of what a coach is really about in terms of strategy, long term view, dynamism etc. At that point you can look at whether they’ve done well with what they’ve had and if it’s worth persevering with their plan. That ain’t 21 games in.

If you mean this forum… I’d say it doesn’t really matter because we’re not a real entity but rather a dispirit ground of individuals with varied experiences, agendas, emotional states etc and we are no consequence or influence
Definitely wasn’t suggesting this forum.

I was thinking accountability by the board.

Agree 21 games in is not enough time, when do you think is the right time?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 4:10pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 3:06pm

Definitely wasn’t suggesting this forum.

I was thinking accountability by the board.

Agree 21 games in is not enough time, when do you think is the right time?
It’s a good question. IMO there’s no set time period. I would say it’s when it becomes evident that the existing approach (both match day and longer planning) isn’t effective and when the current coaching group can’t or won’t adapt accordingly