Does king walk straight in?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Re: Does king walk straight in?

Can’t drop crouch or Ross both have been great this season.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 1:48am Bytel has been at St Kilda 4 years 6 months. Similar to Max King they were both in rehab for their first year on the list.

We had NO true tall Forward so Max was in as soon as he was fit to play. That wasn't the case for Bytel, with Steele, Seb, Zak, Luke Dunstan and Brad Crouch all available.

Bytel has played more than 13, but maybe you're not counting games as sub. I suppose it makes sense because it really doesn't help a player who needs game time for their development.

He was only given 3 games in the seniors in 2020 when the team was finals bound. Rnd 11-12-13. He played 13 AFL games in 2021 but he was the sub in 5 of those.

2022 was no 'exploratory year' for Ratts

Ratten wasn't prepared to play too many youngsters last year in the same team (similar to your thinking 😜) because he was trying to secure himself a contract extension.

He hasn't been given continuity. He hasn't been given a fair run to establish himself and gain confidence, but also to gain the confidence of his team mates.

He's super young and could be a 200 gamer

I'm backing my footy knowledge that he'll play at least 100 games of AFL. I hope it's with us
I like Bytel, and hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

Reminds me of a Charlie Constable type, way above VFL level, serviceable at AFL level and great depth, but hardly likely to feature in a senior team consistently.

He turns himself out in great nic, has elite hands in close, is tough and courageous and a decent kick.

BUT, he is pedestrian in pace and an average runner.
No matter how hard he works he will not become an elite runner.

Bytel is a far better pure footballer than Byrnes IMO, however Byrnes is a great runner and that's why he is a long way ahead of Bytel in the selection frame.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:42am
Scollop wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 1:48am Bytel has been at St Kilda 4 years 6 months. Similar to Max King they were both in rehab for their first year on the list.

We had NO true tall Forward so Max was in as soon as he was fit to play. That wasn't the case for Bytel, with Steele, Seb, Zak, Luke Dunstan and Brad Crouch all available.

Bytel has played more than 13, but maybe you're not counting games as sub. I suppose it makes sense because it really doesn't help a player who needs game time for their development.

He was only given 3 games in the seniors in 2020 when the team was finals bound. Rnd 11-12-13. He played 13 AFL games in 2021 but he was the sub in 5 of those.

Ratten wasn't prepared to play too many youngsters last year in the same team (similar to your thinking 😜) because he was trying to secure himself a contract extension.

He hasn't been given continuity. He hasn't been given a fair run to establish himself and gain confidence, but also to gain the confidence of his team mates.

I'm backing my footy knowledge that he'll play at least 100 games of AFL. I hope it's with us

Reminds me of a Charlie Constable type, way above VFL level, serviceable at AFL level and great depth, but hardly likely to feature in a senior team consistently.

He turns himself out in great nic, has elite hands in close, is tough and courageous and a decent kick.

Bytel is a far better pure footballer than Byrnes IMO, however Byrnes is a great runner and that's why he is a long way ahead of Bytel in the selection frame.
Hit the mail on the head.
Looks a footballer, but no great pace.

As I said, 20 (changed from 13) games in 5 years under a few coaches, 1 year contract. It’s not looking great for him unless he really takes off this year.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Come back 1 week.
Next!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
older saint
SS Life Member

i like it , low risk approach and 2 road trips in a row means any soreness heading in will be made worse

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Another week of training for Max.

Still don't think he should play VFL. Get him cherry ripe and straight into the side.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 1:44am
Scollop wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 1:19am But mate...you can't have your cake and eat it too..

You said "Demand players perform or you are out of the side.
It’s professional sport, not the local 3rd division"

You have to make the call and bite the bullet. If we don't change the line up dramatically in the middle we will continue to produce similar results to the last few years.

Same with our forwards.

If King and Membrey were fit from day 1, we'd have never played Caminiti. Cordy would have been preferred because 'he has credits'

Why is it that it takes injuries to play your youth? Most of our boys have stepped up when given opportunity and I believe with the added responsibility they will excel.

Owens, Byrnes, Nas at half back, and Caminiti at CHF are prime example.

Ross and match committee need to bite the bullet and play Windy and Bytel in the middle all day instead of Brad Crouch and Seb Ross. Why not have Brad or Seb as the sub?
There’s a tipping point playing too much ‘youth’ at the one time. I think it might also be a safeguard that when a few hit a wall, we have a few in reserve to have their turn.
A taxing style doesn’t suit a team of young guys in all at once.

When I say perform, you need a fair chance.
That was Ratten’s problem, he didn’t change when he had to. If we lose 2 or 3 in a row then that’s when it needs to on a bigger scale because something isn’t working.

Ross has been terrific as far as I’m concerned.
Has shown no signs of being tired like Crouch has.

I’d entertain Crouch as a sub if he needs a rest.

Windhager is a burst player currently.
Possibly needs a bigger tank.

Bytel is the seemingly unlucky one. Just needs a break when he gets his chance without then getting injured.
5 years on the list for 13 games says a bit I think.
Or….perhaps he’s not that good and seen that way by multiple coaches?
Players who are "not that good" don't get 39 touches in the VFL.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Carlton's Williams wasn't a great runner either but he had a coach willing to back him in.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:07pm

Carlton's Williams wasn't a great runner either but he had a coach willing to back him in.
Fair call, but that was 30 years ago.
He would struggle now unless he won 20 clearances a game. Completely different era.

Would get destroyed on the spread.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:07pm

I hear you, but you are quoting a dual brownlow medalist and Norm Smith medalist that played 30 years ago and comparing him with Jack Bytel.
Tony Shaw played 300 games, how would he go in the modern game?

It's like people comparing Paddy McCartin to Plugger.

In the modern day you need to be a very, very good ball winner if you are not a good runner, Tom Mitchell as an example.
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Thu 11 May 2023 2:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Templar
Club Player

True. With the amount of rule changes we have seen in recent decades comparing historical stats with current day stats is meaningless.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Bytel in an Andy Bitchel situation.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!