Young talent..from zero to plenty

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Young talent..from zero to plenty

Whatever will be will be this season but I’m very bullish about our fortunes going forward.
Remember when we bemoaned the fact we had very little in the way of decent young players?
Fast forward to now, we have about a dozen aged between 18 & 21!
Doubt all will make it but with the development team in place, they will be given every opportunity to get the most out of themselves.
I’m excited to see what Keeler, Hotton, Van Es, Adams, Peris etc. will do for Sandy in the second half of this year.
Adding another couple in this years strong draft will also add to our youth..hopefully throw in a trade or 2!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Young talent..from zero to plenty

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 8:46am Whatever will be will be this season but I’m very bullish about our fortunes going forward.
Remember when we bemoaned the fact we had very little in the way of decent young players?
Doubt all will make it but with the development team in place, they will be given every opportunity to get the most out of themselves.
I’m excited to see what Keeler, Hotton, Van Es, Adams, Peris etc. will do for Sandy in the second half of this year.
Adding another couple in this years strong draft will also add to our youth..hopefully throw in a trade or 2!
There's a lot of work to be done before we know how many can stand in the closing minutes on GF day.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 9:06am
Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 8:46am Whatever will be will be this season but I’m very bullish about our fortunes going forward.
There's a lot of work to be done before we know how many can stand in the closing minutes on GF day.
really ?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 9:52am
really ?
come out on limb with me Firey, give me a figure, how long will it take for Ross to build the team he thinks is capable of reaching GF day?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Swans had plenty of players standing at the end of the GF.
So the comment is typically nonsensical.
Get it from the BT book of gibberish?

Need to plagiarise a different taunt.

Of all the regular non -sequiters that one is becoming the most inane - quite an accomplishment given the pile of drivel to choose from.

SaintWiki
Club Player

I thought this post was about developing young players, it's far too early to be talking about any GF, surely - or were you just having a laugh?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No just negative nellie being.....well, negative.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 10:34am
I thought this post was about developing young players, it's far too early to be talking about any GF, surely - or were you just having a laugh?
I mainly come here for laughs, but I agree, this thread does appear to be about the development of young players. Have you got anything relative to contribute, I've had my input.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 10:23am
really ?
come out on limb with me Firey, give me a figure, how long will it take for Ross to build the team he thinks is capable of reaching GF day?
Since when have you ever gone out on a limb? You need Sample sizes remember.?
I would never go out on a limb with you mate you would drive me nuts with your negativity

And as far as I’m concerned, Ross will have this side up and about for a flag after this year if not this one
And if you’re just here for laughs, why don’t you stay at BF? They laugh at you all the time.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It’s no doubt a bit too early for this comparison, but I recall the 1993 Essendon team being described by commentators as being a work in progress and too young for a flag for another couple of years. And yet they did it. Sure, they went into a prolonged decline straight after that : the quintessential premiership hangover.
But at my age, and after so many years of suffering, I’d settle for a premiership + prolonged hangover in 2023.

It would defy all rational expectations. But what did rational expectations ever do for any of us anyway?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

In the 150th year. Imagine that. I've gotta say, my nuts just tingled a bit when I wrote that.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:34pm It’s no doubt a bit too early for this comparison, but I recall the 1993 Essendon team being described by commentators as being a work in progress and too young for a flag for another couple of years. And yet they did it. Sure, they went into a prolonged decline straight after that : the quintessential premiership hangover.
But at my age, and after so many years of suffering, I’d settle for a premiership + prolonged hangover in 2023.

It would defy all rational expectations. But what did rational expectations ever do for any of us anyway?
My sentiments as well. I am seeing so many positives atm and yet being letdown by so many false dawns in the past i am grasping this dawn with both hands.
I can the see talent, it’s there in front of our eyes , it’s tangible and I’m excited
I feel sorry for those who can’t it see yet and are afraid to get on board to enjoy the ride

Have enough sample size 😊

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:41pm In the 150th year. Imagine that. I've gotta say, my nuts just tingled a bit when I wrote that.
Stick with it. Let's make it a thing.

Somehow, watching the Pies get beaten last night made the idea seem faintly possible for the very first time.

I mean, why the heck not? Our midfield is ok when at full strength. Our defence is more than ok. Last year, when King and Membrey and Higgins were kicking straight and Ryder and Marshall got into the act, our attack was strong enough to ensure that we were the last team to beat the eventual Premiers.

And, when we get some of our injured guys back, we'll be stronger than we were last year, and certainly better coached.

Of course the textbook says that young guys like Caminiti and Phillipou and Owens and Windhager won't be able to keep it up for an entire season. But what if they do? What then?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintWiki
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:51pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:41pm In the 150th year. Imagine that. I've gotta say, my nuts just tingled a bit when I wrote that.
Stick with it. Let's make it a thing.

Somehow, watching the Pies get beaten last night made the idea seem faintly possible for the very first time.

I mean, why the heck not? Our midfield is ok when at full strength. Our defence is more than ok. Last year, when King and Membrey and Higgins were kicking straight and Ryder and Marshall got into the act, our attack was strong enough to ensure that we were the last team to beat the eventual Premiers.

And, when we get some of our injured guys back, we'll be stronger than we were last year, and certainly better coached.

Of course the textbook says that young guys like Caminiti and Phillipou and Owens and Windhager won't be able to keep it up for an entire season. But what if they do? What then?
They might be a bit battered and bruised by seasons end, but with a bit of luck one or two of the other young guns and returning players may be available by then.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Hey CQ SAINT, might be time to get your prostate checked :lol: :lol:

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Are you offering to to the job, Sanctorum?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I suppose that's one way to check the wind direction when kicking for goal

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Im with you Mike but my lid has completely come off! I honestly believe the past two drafts (including mid season Heath) will be nucleous of players to take us to our next grand final.

Heath - he just plays with attitude and will be a top 3 ruckman in the competition when he gets aerobic abilities going. Possible A grader
Jack Hayes - mature aged recruit but showed plenty before injury.
NWM - is already a very good player and will only improve. Will be an A grader
Windhager - is an aerobic machine and will become a brilliant midfielder. Will be an A grader.
Owens - is an absolute beast and will dominate the competition when he starts playing midfield. Will be an A grader.
Adams - is starting to show the intercept marking he was taken for, will become a very good defender.
Peris - meets all the effort markers, but needs to tidy up his skills.

Phillipou - is already a natural AFL footballer, will be an A grader.
Van Es - a huge kid who is very quick, can take a mark and plays with aggro. Will be an A grader.
Hotton - we havent seen but had big wraps (potential very good goal kicking midfielder).
Keeler - has huge wraps and his highlight reels are outstanding. Possible an A grader.
McLennan - was lighting up the training track before injury (has huge potential)
Caminiti - is already shown he can hold down a key position foward role at 19yo with no real preseason. Sky is the limit possible A grader.

Stocker - another mature aged bargain, who has shown he is very composed down back.
Ryan Byrnes - 21yo another late draft pick but has made the absolute most of his opportunities this year.

Thats 14 players added in the past 2 seasons which I believe will have a huge say on how sucessful we are in the future. If we can nail another trade & draft period this year then we are on our way to something special.

Club Player

Were they macadamias?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 12:20pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 07 Apr 2023 10:23am
really ?
Since when have you ever gone out on a limb? You need Sample sizes remember.?
I would never go out on a limb with you mate you would drive me nuts with your negativity

And as far as I’m concerned, Ross will have this side up and about for a flag after this year if not this one
And if you’re just here for laughs, why don’t you stay at BF? They laugh at you all the time.
A flag this year...first time I've heard anyone think we were capable of a flag this year.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

None of these posts are wrong so there’s no need to argue!

The good news is we definitely have the most promising brigade of youth we’ve had for some time

The truth is there is a huge delta between talent and promise and a flag

Keep recruiting well, have a strong development program, get the best coaches you can and keep the faith !

#1 Ryder fan